Author Topic: Lest We Forget  (Read 805 times)

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
Lest We Forget
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 11:26:10 PM »
Sadly Pei, the last surviving Gallipoli veteren died last year, they are all gone. At least all the Australian ones are.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 03:22:36 AM by Bluedog »

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Lest We Forget
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 02:38:32 AM »
Originally posted by Bluedog
That time of year again.

Special salute and thankyou to the Diggers now on active service in the Middle East.

PS Tronski, that Attaturk quote is something else isnt it...quite a man.

Johnny Turk, he was waitin', he primed himself well;
He showered us with bullets, and he rained us with shell --
And in five minutes flat, he'd blown us all to hell,
Nearly blew us right back to Australia.

We have any Turks among us? A is due them, for it wasn't only Diggers who fell, Johnny Turk stood his ground against a foriegn invader, and made them pay dearly for every inch of ground they occupied, right up to the day the invaders left.

Mate that quote has always stuck with me, especially considering how we invaded their country and the turks took us into thier heart!
The turks were an honourable foe, a dogged bugger who really showed their mettle against our blokes. And it is to their credit how they treat Anzac cove and the cemetries there.  

It was one of the great losses to our country was the passing of the last Gallipoli diggers.

There is an irony I suppose, 90 years later we're still in the middle east  fighting another blokes war with little or no end in sight...I guess thats the true spirit of Anzac, remembering our diggers and thinking of their sacrifices then and like in the case of Shark Zero Two , their sacrifices now.

And thanking the diggers now doing their bit in Iraq now

Tronsky

Lest We Forget
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Lest We Forget
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 12:52:14 PM »
I just saw some short shot about event in Turkey. ....

Actualy what was official reason to attack turkey at WW2 ?

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Lest We Forget
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 02:24:38 PM »
Gallipoli was during WW1.

Just before the war, Churchill confiscated 2 Turkish battleships being constructed in Britain because he thought they would be needed in the inevitable war against Germany. The problem was he also kept the money. The ships were paid for by a public appeal and after they were confiscated the Turks were deeply insulted by the British action. The Kaiser seized the opportunity to show up the British, and gave them 2 german battleships replete with crews. The British demanded the turks remove the german ships from their waters, but even without responding Turkey joined the central powers

The campiagn was an attempt to capture the forts covering the dardenelles, so the Royal Navy could sail to Instanbul, which was thought by Churchill would immediately force the Turks to capitulate.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Lest We Forget
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »
My mom just got back from a two month trip to Aussie and NZ, she said you people are all too friendly like,  now she wants to move down there.

I heard you're inundated with Brit tourists as well.:eek:

g'day...

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Lest We Forget
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 06:50:49 PM »