Author Topic: Okay, I am now a Hog pilot.  (Read 2615 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Okay, I am now a Hog pilot.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2004, 09:09:05 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
 If you want success in a hog, I strongly recommend you receive tips from dedicated P-47 pilots. Probably they've got the most helpful advices to give out than anyone else(unless ofcourse you find a dedicated Hog driver - which, is not very common these days).

I never been very common at anytime :cool:

and I am in a Hog ( F4U-1D mainly) 90+% of the time.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 10:17:34 PM »
AGalland is probably the best on F4U-1D, because every time I see on that Chat bar, he usually landed kills with 10+ and that just seem crazy!
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004, 10:47:28 PM »
A f4u-1 in a sector with 2 big dar bars, does great.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2004, 10:49:39 PM »
F4u-1 is my favorite fighter.

OCT, I was serious when I said I got 20 perks for 2 kills and a landing.  It was a while ago, nor do I care to argue with you how it happened.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2004, 11:21:14 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
F4u-1 is my favorite fighter.

OCT, I was serious when I said I got 20 perks for 2 kills and a landing.  It was a while ago, nor do I care to argue with you how it happened.

It's ok, you have nothing to argue with anyway :)  Facts be facts
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2004, 11:44:15 PM »
Just stay aware of your situation and you will do well. One tour I decided to fly the Corsair alot. In the F4u1d I had 243 kills to 77 deaths, F4u1c I had 47 kills and 9 deaths, in the F4u1 I had 2 kills and 0 deaths. Tour 37 . Now I flew heavy alot, so alot of kills were gv's, but I also got kills of both gv's and planes on alot of sorties(I can't figure out how to get my score against other planes in a specific plane). The best thing about the Corsair is that it can be used in any situation, has long legs, and brings lots of ammo to the fight. It's not a turn on a dime and not stall spit5, but by flying it you will learn tactics and your awareness will increase, making you that much better in the planes you normally fly.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 04:47:37 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
(unless ofcourse you find a dedicated Hog driver - which, is not very common these days).
Indeed, but as we get more maps with CV ops, I'm hopeful we might see more Hogs.

I have flown the Hog more than anything else in the last few tours, and I love it. I flew the 1C quite a bit - great for meting out punishment to those 300' ju88 formations - but I'm changing in favour of the 1D. It seems to fly better than the 1C. Sixpence! I think I have you beaten on the stats. ;) But it's great to see you and other guys giving this bird a go instead of.... well, you know.

I agree the Hog is not a T&B stallfighter to be used against N1K/SpitV. It needs to be flown fast. Some folks might claim that it excels at exactly that. I'm still waiting to see the films...

In the MA I like to use stealth and tactics - that does not mean sitting on a 20K perch, but rather observing the opposition and then either waiting for them to make a mistake, or helping them to make it!

I've attached a .ZIP containing two films. In one I nobbled a couple of P51s in a 1C. They were both getting a bit over-zealous. After watching them for a while, I observed a pattern, and was able to position myself to kill both. Earlier, one had tried to rope me - he had a ton more E and no way was I going to climb that rope against a 51.

The other film shows how you can use your 1D to rack up some PP by popping PT boats in a 1D using rockets! Great fun. ;)

Hog films .ZIP

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: The Flying Zoo uses the C-Hog
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2004, 05:13:22 AM »
Originally posted by g00b
With devastating results :eek:

Here's a film of my 9 lanc kills in one sortie.

http://www.easyracers.com/temp/film478.zip

KBMAN is the F4U master.

g00b
ROFL Goob! :lol  Nice film! I was laughing more than you guys were when I watched it! I loved the part about hitting the LANCs on the upslope - when the pilot goes to the tail gun, the formation runs into the ground. :lol

Flying Zoo? What time of day do you fly? What time zone? I'll be sure to look out for you. Who says there's no fun on the pizza map! :D

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 12:14:01 PM »
I'm an average pilot at best. I fly Hellcat and an occasional 47. Thinking about trying the Hog. Hog I believe is a little faster.

Any other quirks, or tips to flying the Hog has that I should know about?

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2004, 12:28:42 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
It's ok, you have nothing to argue with anyway :)  Facts be facts

Was there when he did it.  Have done it myself.

Facts is facts. :aok
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 12:43:16 PM »
With a perk multiplier of 1.0, as I stated before, it is not possible.  What was the perk multiplier for your country at the time of his landing?

probably 1.14 if it was two 262s or 234s (5 ENY) he shot down.  Much higher if the enemies had a higher ENY.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:45:29 PM by Octavius »
octavius

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 02:10:56 PM »
Originally posted by Kutt
I'm an average pilot at best. I fly Hellcat and an occasional 47. Thinking about trying the Hog. Hog I believe is a little faster.

Any other quirks, or tips to flying the Hog has that I should know about?

Well ... If you can fly and be decent in a Jug, then you should have no problem in the Hog. Like Beet1e said, you gotta keep it fast (same as a Jug). Its flaps are second to none, and can be very helpfull in both offensive and defensive modes.

It is NOT a T&B plane. If you get too slow, then you will either stall outright, or you will not be able to escape to try to get some speed back in your pocket to continue to turn. The Hog needs speed to turn effectively/aggresively.

I flew with the AoM last night and we (7 of us) all took the 1-D, 1 x 1000 and a DT. We attacked 1 base, once reinforcments arrived we flew cap between that base and the adjoining base just east of it. I believe that we scored about 40 kills between us all. When flown right, its a monster all dressed in blue.

Quirks ... ground loops when not landing on a CV.

What I do is come in nice and slow, 1 notch of flaps ... and ... do not hit the breaks until the tailwheel settles onto the runway.

Tailwheel will begin settle down on the runway just under 100 mph. Once that happens, I pull back on the stick to plant it even more firmly on the runway and then apply breaks. Shutting the engine off too will help eliminate the huge torque from the engine.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2004, 02:28:10 PM »
Thanks Slapshot. It sounds a lot like the way I fly the Hellcat. Just seems that since I have come back everyone is in a fast plane these days. Been a little frustrating trying to run people down in the Kitty.

May be good to be able to fly a radial, that is painted blue, and still be able to run a few people down.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2004, 02:40:04 PM »
Fast planes eh?  Try the P40, Kutt :)  For some reason I get a lot of people running away from me... I think I smell or something.
octavius

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2004, 02:46:14 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Fast planes eh?  Try the P40, Kutt :)  For some reason I get a lot of people running away from me... I think I smell or something.

So thats what I smelled last night in the valley ... wheew !!!

I mean, with all those fat folds, you got to have some cheesy stuff stored under there that has never seen the likes of water and soap.

Also, the modifications to the P-40 cockpit make the plane look ... well ... scarey !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."