Author Topic: Okay, I am now a Hog pilot.  (Read 2616 times)

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Okay, I am now a Hog pilot.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2004, 02:47:05 PM »
Back in my AW days I flew Ponys almost exclusively, and was able to beat Hogs only below 12K. Once fought one to a stalemate above 20K (we both used up all our ammo, and were shot to pieces).

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2004, 03:23:17 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Quirks ... ground loops when not landing on a CV.

What I do is come in nice and slow, 1 notch of flaps ... and ... do not hit the breaks until the tailwheel settles onto the runway.

AH-HA...I'm not the only one to notice this.  

...that is the solution I use too.  Don't touch the brakes until tailwheel is firmly on the ground.  Gently does it, even then.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2004, 03:37:30 PM »
The trick to landing the Hog is the left and right brakes seperate.

I haven't looped on the ground since I've started doing it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2004, 03:42:01 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
The trick to landing the Hog is the left and right brakes seperate.

I haven't looped on the ground since I've started doing it.

lol...I've never used the two brakes independently...in fact to do so I'd have to look up the keyboard command.:)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2004, 03:45:43 PM »
C and V if you haven't changed them.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2004, 04:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Fast planes eh?  Try the P40, Kutt :)  For some reason I get a lot of people running away from me... I think I smell or something.

Two problems with that Oct.

1. If I fly an inline, even an old inline, I would have to start carrying a purse around like the rest of em'.

2.  It aint painted blue. I have a special waiver that allows me to fly 47's one weekend a month and two weeks out of the year.

I'm not saying I'm a better stick than the inline flyers. I freely admit my own suckage.

On a side note. Oct you may indeed smell, but don't let that stop you brother. If they can't accept you the way you are just shoot them.

Offline paulieb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.airmafia.com/index2.html
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2004, 07:13:09 PM »
I am flat out impressed by the amount of discussion I started up here. Keep the tips coming!! I'm not a N00B, but I generally suck compared to.... well, just about anybody. Look up my stats (paulieb2)... you'll see!

I am of the opinion that the -1 is a better perk farmer than the -1D, but SA is absolutely critical. That's where my main problem lies, I think. Well, that and the -1's views make it impossible to see anything between 5 and 7 o'clock. I plan to stick with it except for squad nights.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2004, 07:57:20 PM »
PaulieB make sure you have your views set up for the best sight picture. And, get used to rocking your wings (u should never be straight and level anyway).

The Hog is a wonderful ride, as long as you keep it fairly fast. get it under 200mph and it tends to wallow around a bit. at 225 mph it turns into a ballerina. It has a pretty good roll rate, almost as quick as the 190's at speed. This means a quick instantaneous turn rate. (It will not hold that rate of turn though).

It does not have long legs (IE it burns fuel pretty quickly), so keep an eye on the fuel. I will take 50% and a drop tank, and pickle the tank when I engage.

LaserSailor is bang on about landing the hog. Plan to touch down at no more than 100mph and tap the left and right brakes as soon as the tail wheel is planted. (3 point landings are preferable).

If you get caught low and slow, it will turn with a little coaxing. get a notch or two of flap down. (and even gear if you need too).

Be aware that it has very aggressive stall characteristics, and listen for the stall horn. You will learn to ride that horn alot.

Cheers,
RTR
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 02:14:44 PM by RTR »
The Damned

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2004, 10:22:06 PM »
F4u1 has long legs -and where not as potent as the perked c, it does great in the dive in out fights that are so common in the MA.
I think the f4u1 might be the best kept secret in the ma- imo of course.

Landing is no problem if you don't want to hotpad. Just dont lower the gear.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 10:24:14 PM by opus »

Offline Kutt

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.cfl.rr.com/kutt
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »
Gave the D variant a try last night. My K\D was hovering around 1 flying the Hellcat my first week back. Last night I ended up with about a 3 in K\D. Score doesn't mean much. I did notice kills coming easier in the Hog.

The MA seems to have speeded up since I left. Speed was always important, but I think the large numbers of planes has made the need for it greater.

Still always going to love the Hellcat, but I'm killing stuff in "Blue Iron" so life is good.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2004, 08:54:09 AM »
Originally posted by slimm50
Back in my AW days I flew Ponys almost exclusively, and was able to beat Hogs only below 12K. Once fought one to a stalemate above 20K (we both used up all our ammo, and were shot to pieces).

Nothing beat the AW f4u at any alt..  It was the king of AW...  Well, ok.. perhaps the p38...  but my answer would depend on which one I was flying at the time..

The f4u in AH is a good ride too.. Slow on the get go, once at speed it is to be respected..  The f4u turns well.. It's roll is even better. Roll, 90%of the time, is as important as turning speed and the hog has a great roll rate.. Good guns and good ammo you have good firepower. Did i mention the hog rolls very well? haha

One more thing kids.. Lets not forget the antilocking brake system on the f4u.. you can drop the gear in an f4u at 400mph.. good for making them 'fly right by' ....

dude