Author Topic: My suggestion to fix AH  (Read 1525 times)

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
My suggestion to fix AH
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2004, 10:59:44 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
You just assume that this is a valid goal. Then you give ways to do this. But I'm not so sure that your focus should realy be one of HTC's goals.

HiTech

I suspect that the goal here is to make money. And understandably so, to a point. If so then just call it a game and let it go at that. No historical perspective, no supermodeled aircraft. Just a bunch of folk kiling each other. I was under the illusion this was a simulator. And one that simulated WW2 combat in a fairly realistic arena. I have been wrong about many things in my life. I hope my idea of this being a simulator is not one of my illusions.
BTW- What would you as CEO/Head guy see as the goal?
Peace
Pillur

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
My suggestion to fix AH
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2004, 12:32:35 PM »
LtPillur: The question becomes , what is trying to be simulated.

We do our best to try accuratly simulate the PERFORMANCE of aircraft ,vehicles, and amunition. In general game play we do not try simulate WWII.

as to this

I suspect that the goal here is to make money. And understandably so, to a point.

There realy isn't much we do with out keeping this in view, after all we are a buisness.  In the end making money, is the same as providing fun and interest for the greatest number of people we can. So our goal is realy just to provide somthing that the most people enjoy.

When you say to a point, there realy isn't one. It seems like you are implying that we should keep the historical aspect in mind over providing enjoyment to people. Thats a good way to end everything, and have neither game or customers left.

The historical aspects are used because they provide enjoyment to a portion of our customer base. But historical events are not a goal by itself,nore is it a goal to have more people fly in a historical settings,historical settings are done only because they brings enjoyment to a portion of our players.

So choosing what is to be simulated , how much historical aspect to give, and balancing everything is by no meens a simple task. It  encompass looking at a lot of issues,from maintaining community,atracting new customers,to continualy trying to make the game more detailed ,with out eliminating the fun aspect.

HiTech

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
My suggestion to fix AH
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2004, 12:47:05 PM »
HiTech has a good point.

My Focus is to promote the historical aspects of the planes and battles within the Main Arena.  This serves my needs perfectly because I will get to play a flight sim/game with like minded people.  Otherwise I'd go to Quake.  

I run a subscriber Internet media that shares some of the same aspects of AH in terms of subscriber community.  I study the AH community for insight into my own business.  I'll often get ideas from my subscribers that just don't fit with my goals.  OTOH when an idea is good I go with it.  

The funny thing about Internet communities is that we can get so involved with them.  AH is like that for a lot of us.  Our involvement goes way beyond a game.  We build web sites to support the game, we do research, we promote our favorite causes all in hopes of finding others who share our passion or even better making a CONVERT.

Well you haven't heard the last of KILLJOY. No sir.  I won't ever give up because ... Oh NOOooo it's happening to me too.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
My suggestion to fix AH
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2004, 12:49:53 PM »
Pillur,

the Combat Theater is where the ratio of Historians/AviationAfficianados to Dweebs is highest.  I put the ratio in the CT as 5 Historians/AAs per 1 dweeb, whereas the MA, HTs bread and butter, I see a double digit reversal with the ratio being 19 dweebs per historian.

Take your pick and kudos to HTC for allowing the dorks..err, historians a place to coagulate.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
My suggestion to fix AH
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2004, 04:17:16 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Pillur,
Take your pick and kudos to HTC for allowing the dorks..err, historians a place to coagulate.

Thanks! I'm not a REAL historian. Now I have to figure out if I'm a dork too?? So much to do!
Peace
Pillur

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
My suggestion to fix AH
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 04:33:08 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
LtPillur
So choosing what is to be simulated , how much historical aspect to give, and balancing everything is by no meens a simple task. It  encompass looking at a lot of issues,from maintaining community,atracting new customers,to continualy trying to make the game more detailed ,with out eliminating the fun aspect.
HiTech

I understand. For a business to grow it cannot rely on WW2 history buffs (or dorks, as we have been called!!!:(  ). And it has to be difficult to balance the need to get new players into the game (which is your business) and keep it all "under control". On many fronts this is the finest simulator/game I've flown. I was wrong in asumming to understand what an individuals business plan is. It really is more a game than a simulator; and I can accept that. At least until i get $1.6 million US to buy my own P-51D  
Peace
Pillur

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Thank You WldThing
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2004, 04:50:44 AM »
A big and Thank you to ya WldThing, we here in the AH community appreciate all the help and knowledge you give back!

I am in the same boat as Ghosth, I had the pleasure of someone taking me and showing me the different aspects of plane types and how to use them, Chick, Wrongway, Snowman, JG, Subby, Mute, Boozer,  the list goes on, and a better way to help your favorite flight sim is to return the favor with new players. Thats why I do it, I want to share what others shared with me when I started.

and I SALUTE all the AH Trainers and others that offer their help which are probably on the same principles as mine.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC