Author Topic: Your Social Security Statement  (Read 970 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Your Social Security Statement
« on: May 05, 2004, 04:51:25 PM »
Just got mine in the mail.

In 1985 I made $267, in 1986 $1,995, in 1987 $3,093! Musta really got alot of Pizza delivery tips in 87.

What really was surprising is it tells you what you'll get projected if you retire at age 67. They should just let you invest your money on a house instead of throwing it away on something thats going to pay me $1500/month in 2038? I don't understand the program.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 05:02:49 PM »
man relaying on goverment is most brave in my eyes :D

we have bad problems in social sphere here for a long time.
Coz we have less and less young people every year. I next 20 years it will be probably 1:1 or 1:2 (working : retired)

so i realy didnt get, why do we not accept more imigrants.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Re: Your Social Security Statement
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 05:04:35 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
I don't understand the program.

Google for "ponzi scheme" and then you will understand it.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »
Cremo, read the fine print.  Check out blurb number (2) under "Your Estimated Benefits".

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 05:07:51 PM »
holy ****

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 05:12:15 PM »
Needs to be privatized. Republican idea, democrats hate the idea (Dems on the hill that is..)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 05:51:18 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Needs to be privatized. Republican idea, democrats hate the idea (Dems on the hill that is..)

Lol, yeah, let Enron run it, no thank you.

What we have as government workers is FERS(federal employee retirement system). This is kind of like a 401k, but a little different. It matches you up to 5%(you can put away up to 10%) of your paycheck dollar for dollar towards retirement.(I think there is a maximum) Reagan enacted this when he did away with the old civil service retirement. I think this would be a good substitute for S.S. The government would match you dollar for dollar up to 5%, it would basically allow the public into FERS. And just like FERS, if you don't want to get involved, you don't have to. There are different ways to invest, no risk(bonds), low risk, and high risk, although, I wouldn't call it high risk, it's the "C" fund that keeps the money in the S&P index of stocks.

It would give people incentive to save.It also keeps the money from being used for other things that S.S. gets used for that it shouldn't be. It would also be protected by the government, so you would be insured up to 100k, like a bank account. After seeing the likes of enron(and others) raid pension funds, i'm not going to trust it to a private corporation, i'm sorry.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 05:59:52 PM »
Creamo, send me about 15% of your income.  I will PROMISE to give you retirement benefits, and, as an added bonus, I will send you a letter every year telling you what you MAY get upon retirement.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 06:01:09 PM »
Not 73% of what I may get? Deal.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 06:18:17 PM »
Well, since I can't lie, you ain't getting nuttin.  But you will have all those papers saying what you will get....

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 06:58:20 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort

Privatized my ass.  Can it altogether.  If I'm too dumb to save for retirement I'll be working until the day I die.  If I'm worried about disability, I'll buy disability insurance.  If someone else's priorities lie elsewhere, fine, but I don't want to pay for their shortsightedness.  

Creamo, what did the fine print say?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 07:03:50 PM »
* Your estimated benefits are based on current law. Congress made changes to the law in the past and can do so at any time. The law governing benefit amounts may change because, by 2042,the payroll taxes collected will be enough to pay only about 73 percent of scheduled benefits.

What a deal.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 07:27:38 PM »
It's like being forced to buy worldcom stock when you know they are filing for bankruptcy.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 07:57:24 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
It's like being forced to buy worldcom stock when you know they are filing for bankruptcy.

Yep.  Can't we get rid of it now?  

Yeah Creamo, that sucks.  I just consider it money down the pisser - my 20-something bellybutton will never see any of it, but I'll probably pay a ****load so that politicians can dangle the SS carrot in front of my parents' generation.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 09:14:42 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Yep.  Can't we get rid of it now?  

Yeah Creamo, that sucks.  I just consider it money down the pisser - my 20-something bellybutton will never see any of it, but I'll probably pay a ****load so that politicians can dangle the SS carrot in front of my parents' generation.

But this is for the "greater good"...