Author Topic: Whats up with gunnery ballistics?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Whats up with gunnery ballistics?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2000, 10:47:00 PM »
My gunnery percentage hasn't changed much in the last few tours.  (It increased a little bit actually.)  It does "seem" like something has changed though IMO.  I no longer take deflection shots as much as I used to, because you just don't land enough hits to justify the number of rounds you have to fire.  I personally felt the reason my deflection shooting isn't as good as it used to be is the bigger difference in turning rates between the planes now.  In my experience deflection shooting on a plane that rolls or turns quickly is almost a waste of ammo.  Just try to hit a zeke in a flat 6g turn, or for that matter a 190 once he goes into a barrel roll type of manuver, it's almost impossible to get kills without burning up an enormous amount of ammo.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2000, 11:47:00 PM »
LOL fatty
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2000, 04:18:00 AM »
I havn't been around here for long, and I'm not exactly sure how AH computes gunnery hits, but it seems that what most people are complaining about are connection problems.

If you shoot right at someone and it looks like your shots are going thru him, but they arn't being counted as a hit, that sounds like either a server sync problem, or you have a high ping, and the server sees your shots as going behind the guy. Where the plane is on your screen is actually where he was 300ms or so ago, so shooting directly at him (with adjustment for shell trajectory and such) won't work. You'll actually have to aim where he'll be in another .5 second or so.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2000, 05:02:00 AM »
NOT TRUE! You aim to hit them on your FE picture - it doesn't matter where the other plane "really" is on the other pilots FE - he could "really" be 5 miles away, it wouldn't matter.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2000, 05:44:00 AM »
have the same problem Hang .. what i also figure is that former targets (in 1.03) just depleted their E so much in a break turn that you could yoyo up and over and then get a nice tracking shot .. now they cann pull hard G for a very long time .. and a spit or another T&Br for that matter who puts his nose down a bit while pulling can keep evading any trackable shot basically indefinetely...

I'm also experiencing more "nose bounce" than ever before .. (a contributing factor is that i'm tensing up before the shot more than i did before and therfor bounze the nose mysefle .. i'm not too sure about that tho)

DW6

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
Hang, why dont you film some of these missions so that we can see what you are seeing, and post them here.

That way we can look at it and talk about the same thing  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
Whelp..

As AKDeja said.. 'Hang; yah just can't shoot! yer gunnery SUCKS!!!"

LOL.. He must be right. Followed Citabria around fer a bit last night.. never saw him miss. Was watchin other notables; slash and slice.. they were havin nooooo problems at all.

I MUST be inna slump. I've changed vid drivers; (twice) re-checked my connect profiles; kicked down the the game rez from 32bit hi-rez to 16bit low rez, and moved my convergence out in stages to now 650 yards; and started flying a B26.

I actually landed a kill last night!!   Of course; that was before AKwulfie chased me into a damn cliff while I was gunnin him... and after Drill cut my B26 in half with rockets... but thats another post.  

Things must be lookin up (except I'm spending more time lookin down thru a norden) and once I get a handle on whats wrong with my approach, I'll feel much better indeed.

Thanks fer the kind posts, guys!!

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2000, 01:14:00 PM »
Duckwing: I also have those nose bounce problems too when I fire guns. At first I couldn't hit nothing, but know I apply a little left rudder and the site doesn't move much. I don't know if this advice might help Hangtime at all, but its worth a shot.  

------------------
NHFoxtro
-XO- Night Hawks

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
My gunnery went in the toilet when the new FM came out.  Went from around 18% (I think) to somewhere around 2-3% but whatever I did I've brought it back up to I think it was around 11% last I checked.  I think a combination of things could be the problem, planes pulling more G's harder turns, etc.  I'd be interested to see if moving your convergence out to 350 or whatever it was Hang helps.  I've steadly brought my convergence in (when I started flying the 4 .50 version of the p51) from around 425 to 350 where it's at now.  Was considering going in closer but I'm getting good success now and if that could be the culprit I'll just leave things as they are now.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2000, 06:51:00 PM »
Yeah V-Sync should be on.

SKurj

Lepton

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2000, 06:55:00 PM »
I've not noticed any changes in the gunnery, but I don't tend to shoot with any load on the plane at all. If anything, I consider the gunnery to be pretty forgiving, especially at long ranges.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2000, 08:37:00 PM »
 From the announcements forum,version 1.04 release:

"The fixed view mode was changed to maintain a fixed distance and viewing angle
from the plane."

I don`t know if this is a factor or not? I know my hit % has been in the toilet since 1.04 was released,I thought Win2K might have been a factor but have gone back to Win98 and the V770 4.01 drivers with no apparent change in my gunnery-I still can`t hit my targets.  

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2000, 09:09:00 PM »
That's referring to the new F5 view mode.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2000, 09:25:00 PM »
My gunnery went from .042 in tour 8 to .073 currently.

AKDejaVu

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2000, 10:36:00 PM »
 As much as I hate to see a pony driver with a gunnery problem  ........ Uh what was i saying.