Author Topic: Some reactions from the arab world about Nick Berg's gruesome assassination  (Read 7090 times)

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Im not sure if she spoke about texas, realy dont know...

Storch im not slovakian, im proper Czech dweeb, if i can say so

My Grandmother father`s parents were from germany.
Then they messed up with some french.... :D

but now we claim to be czech :D
(hell realy dont know why are local people asking, from whitch part of ME am i :D )

WilldCrd if she will not want me, i will send her to you :D

Anyway i doubt she will be allowed to enter US, coz country of origin. She is in same box as im :)

storch

Originally posted by lada

(hell realy dont know why are local people asking, from whitch part of ME am i :D )

LOL you sound as genetically messed up as me.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Originally posted by lada
Im not sure if she spoke about texas, realy dont know...

Storch im not slovakian, im proper Czech dweeb, if i can say so

WilldCrd if she will not want me, i will send her to you :D

Anyway i doubt she will be allowed to enter US, coz country of origin. She is in same box as im :)

as far as the country of origin crapola i don't agree with that policy really sad.

as far as not wanting ya...don't ever let her see a pic of me then LOL she'll be kicking u to the curb j/k
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
As I have said before, and will repeat as necessary, in everyway you judge a culture or society the Arabs are failures.  They seem to have been doing quite well up till the time they embraced Islam.  After that it was an 'about face' back to the Middle Ages.  They are no longer important beyond there possession of great amounts of Oil.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Hey Otto if you have Islam connected with middle age, you proably never saw islamic country, whitch doesnt have lack of money, did you ?

Shall i post some pictures i made ?

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Think you need to re-read your history books, Otto.

Ravs

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
Lada,

More important than their wealth(from oil), what have the countries you talk about contributed to Humanity?  What are their accomplishments in Law, Medicine, Science, Engineering, Literature and Philosophy that they have shared with the world?  In all the time that they have existed, what have they done to make the World a better place to live?

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
LOLOL!!!

Mathematics....the Arabs practically invented it. These numbers: 1,2,3,4 - are called Arabic Numerals!

Astronomy... the Arabs practically invented it.They were predicticting celestial orbits whilst Europeans were struggling with the Black Death and burning witches.

Literature: Have you heard of the 1001 Nights? The Rubia'at of Omar Khyaam? (to name but two great works). The work: Gilgamesh is considered to be the first novel ever written...guess who wrote it? The ancestors of the Arabs.

Architecture and Engineering: Have you seen the buildings built by Suleiman the Great? Do a google.

Philosophy: The biggest library in the Ancient world was in....Alexandria! in Egypt.

I don't even begin to mention the advances they made in medicine, double entry bookkeeping (the foundation of modern trade), art, poetry, military technology,

Otto, you really ought to read more history.

Ravs

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Here, let me make it a little easier for you Otto:

AL-BATTANI
c.855 - 929
Arab Astronomer
Al-Battani's great astronomical work 'De motu stellarum' exercised a great influence on European astronomy. Al-Battani was born in an area which is now in Turkey and lived in Syria, where he carried out astronomical observations. As a mathematician he found more accurate values for the length of the year, for the annual precession of the equinoxes, and for the inclination of the ecliptic. He also improved the calculation for sinus functions.

AL-BIRUNI
973 - 1048
Arab Scholar  
Al-Biruni was one of the most learned men of his age who corresponded with the great philosopher Ibn Sina. He spent a large part of his life in Ghazna, Afghanistan. In 1017 he travelled to India. Conversant in Turkish, Persian, Sanskrit, Hebrew and Arabic Al-Biruni became the most important interpreter of Indian science to Islam.
In astronomical works he discussed the theory of the earth's rotation on its axis, in physics he advanced hydrostatic laws and in geography he advanced the visionary view that the Indus valley had once be a sea basin.

ABU KASIM
936 - 1013
Arab Surgeon
Abu Kasim was a physician in Cordoba, Spain, and he is considered the 'Father of Modern Surgery'.

Abu Kasim was the most famous physician of his time and he treated patients from all over Europe. He is best known for several original breakthroughs in surgery, as an inventor of several surgical instruments, and for his famous Medical Encyclopedia. He employed vivisection of animals for his research, and wrote a standard text book on surgery which was translated into Latin and many other European languages.

AL-HASSAN
965 - 1039
Arab Optician
Al-Hassan was born in Basra, Iraq and died in Cairo. He made the first important contribution to optical theory since the time of Ptolemy in the second century A.D.

He made studies about optics, atmosphere, physics and astronomy, and he was the first to recognize the optical nerve in the human eye.

AL-KARISMI
c.778 - c.850
Arab Mathematician
Al-Karismi, or Al-Khwarizmi, was born in central Asia. He lived most of his life in Baghdad during the first golden age of Islamic science. He developed the decimal system by using the Indian notion of Zero, and he invented the term 'algebra'. The term 'algorism' derives from the title of his book on Hindu-Arabic numerals. In another book he presented more than 800 examples of calculation of integration and equation. His works were instrumental in introducing the subjects of algebra and Hindu numerals into European mathematics.

AL-RASI
c.864 - 930
Arab Physician
Al-Rasi, born near modern Tehran, was the greatest physician of Islam and the Medieval Ages, and was the undisputable authority on medicine up to Seventeenth century. His original work on smallpox, measles and infectious diseases is still cited in modern textbooks.

Al-Rasi was the first person to introduce the use of alcohol (Arabic Al-Kuhl) for medical purposes. He was also an expert surgeon and was the first to use opium for anaesthesia. As a director of a hospital he wrote the most complete Arabic medicinal encyclopaedia. Al-Rasi was also known as a philosopher and he developed the atomic theory of the Greek philopher Democritus.

AL-KINDI
c.789 - c.873
Arab Naturalist
Al-Kindi was born of noble Arabic descent and flourished in Iraq. He is considered one of the twelve greatest minds of the Middle Ages. Al-Kindi was the first genuine philosopher to write in Arabic. He was a universal scholar who wrote over 200 texts about mathematics, astronomy, optics, medicine, music and psychology. In addition he worked as a chemist, optician, and music theorist.

Writing of chemistry, Al-Kindi argued that base metals cannot be converted to precious metals. He also researched on the scientific aspects of music. He stated that the various notes that combine to produce harmony have a specific pitch, and he stated that when a sound is produced it generates waves in the air. He made important contributions to the Arabic system of numerals. His original work provided the foundation for modern arithmetic.

Omar Al-Khayyam, a mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher from Persia, worked at the court of the turkish Seljuk Sultan. Based on his astronomical observations Al-Khayyam created the most exact calendar up to that time. He developed a method for the solution of equations based on geometry and he made major contributions in Mathematics, particularly in Algebra.
In the West, he is best known for his poetic work 'Rubaiyat' which was translated by Edward Fitzgerald in 1859. His themes involved complex mystical and philosophical thoughts. Although a pious Muslim, in his later life he developed a free-thinking philosophy.

IBN SINA
980 - 1037
Persian Scientist
Ibn Sina was the most famous of the philosopher - scientists of Islam.

Ibn Sina, or Avicenna, was born in Bukhara then a leading city in Persia. His youth was spent in the company of the most learned men of his time and he became accomplished in all the sciences and arts. Ibn Sina collected in over 100 books the entire scientific knowledege of his time and is called the "Prince of Science". He spent the last years of his life in Hamadan, where he composed the 'Canon of Medicine', which is among the most famous books in the history of medicine.

Suleiman the Magnificent
1494-1566

Suleyman in his time was regarded as the most significant ruler in the world, by both Muslims and Europeans. His military empire expanded greatly both to the east and west, and he threatened to overrun the heart of Europe itself. In Constantinople, he embarked on vast cultural and architectural projects. Istanbul in the middle of the sixteenth century was architecturally the most energetic and innovative city in the world. While he was a brilliant military strategist and canny politician, he was also a cultivator of the arts. Suleyman's poetry is among the best poetry in Islam, and he sponsored an army of artists, religious thinkers, and philosophers that outshone the most educated courts of Europe.

I think that's more than a few contributions to the sum total of human knowledge....don't you?

Ravs
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 06:08:08 PM by ravells »

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
Ravelles,  

This is 2004, not 1004.  And, as I said, before Islam they were 'Above Average'.   Yes, it is possible that some time in our future Islam may have a Reformation and Enlightment that will get them out of the Middle Ages and have them join the Modern World, but I don't see it anytime soon.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Early on they were amazing as Ravs points out.

But since then........

Interesting article:

Islam, once at forefront of science, fell by wayside
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Thanks for link Toad, interesting reading.

I hope you will not stuck with same Religion BS like some tards do.

here is some prove that islamic countries do not ban education
http://www.azad.ac.ir/
http://www1.tums.ac.ir/research/index.htm
http://www.fos.ut.ac.ir/
http://khorshid.ece.ut.ac.ir/

this link is quite LOL
http://www.iust.ac.ir/IUSTEntry/

Progress in ME is not result of Islam but its result of our attitude toward them. In country, where president have head on right place things working a bit diferent, as you can see.

Btw.: in NASA work about 50 iranian, whitch has been educated in Iran, sure they probably continue with their study in US as well.

Do not stick to countries destroyed by wars if we speak about something what is far beyond them.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Hi Otto...I was responding to these posts:

More important than their wealth(from oil), what have the countries you talk about contributed to Humanity? What are their accomplishments in Law, Medicine, Science, Engineering, Literature and Philosophy that they have shared with the world? In all the time that they have existed, what have they done to make the World a better place to live?

As I have said before, and will repeat as necessary, in everyway you judge a culture or society the Arabs are failures. They seem to have been doing quite well up till the time they embraced Islam. After that it was an 'about face' back to the Middle Ages. They are no longer important beyond there possession of great amounts of Oil.

Islam, in 700 AD to 1500 AD was in many ways more tolerant religion that Christianity and was more 'science' friendly.

But I agree with you and Toad (interesting article, thanks Toad) that somewhere down the line the Arabs dropped the scientific baton, and I agree; in today's world they do not make a significant contribution in terms of advancement of science or civics.  Then again, I suppose we could say the same of the Greeks, the Romans (Italians) and the Indians.

Great cultures rise and fall, and from the point of view of knowledge, the ones that follow stand on the shoulders of the thinkers of the ones that have passed and develop their ideas.

'tis the way of things.

Ravs