Author Topic: Courteous Political Discussion  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Courteous Political Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 11:52:31 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
folly (your word)

Not my word...

fol·ly  n.
pl. fol·lies
A lack of good sense, understanding, or foresight.

An act or instance of foolishness: regretted the follies of his youth.
A costly undertaking having an absurd or ruinous outcome.

[Middle English folie, from Old French, from fol, foolish, from Late Latin follis, windbag, fool.

My word is 'serfictitude.'
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2004, 11:55:02 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Popular opinion is sometimes wrong, and it takes wisdom to convince the populace of their folly.

Okay would it make it all so much better had I said "the word you used"?

You aint gonna go down the semantic path with me too are you?

Last ditch effort is all that says.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2004, 11:57:35 PM »
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this thread I have not mentioned the current occupant of the White House.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the problem. A problem you seem to want to avoid. For it makes void your entire argument. [/B]

Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice.

When you decide to go out and buy a new car, do you decide on a make and model and then complain about its features?

I make a list of the features I would like and then investigate which vehicle best fits the list.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 11:58:41 PM »
Are we talking about cars now? Cuz I've always been partial to '65 Mustangs.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2004, 12:01:42 AM »
Talkin about choices, and the 65 'stang didn't come with a CD stereo, not enough horsepower, and carries mighty little drywall.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2004, 12:06:04 AM »
But it looks sweet. And fahgedabout CDs.... I don't even know if they came with an FM option, let alone 8 track.

But you make a good point.

Next time when I go to the lot and get a bit excited, I'm going to step back, take a breather, and say to myself "yes, but can it haul drywall?"

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 12:14:38 AM »
WOW no surprise that a "courteous Political Discussion" gets AFU on this board.

BTW nothing beats a 4WD during the wintertime.....especially w/ snow.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:19:45 AM by Gunslinger »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 12:17:39 AM »
Hey Nash, you're not yourself today. I noticed the improvement immediately.

Support the candidate (or buy the car) who (which) matches the list of issues (features) you think are important.

I think leadership is important, and when I choose a leader, I hope for someone who can show me a path that I may not have seen, a better path than I knew.  

That's what the settlers did on the Oregon Trail and they were right.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:24:41 AM by Holden McGroin »

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 12:18:18 AM »
But will the 4WD stand steadfast in its lubrication or bend to the elements?

That's the question.

New Consumers Guide is out on Tuesday with the shocking revelations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:20:49 AM by Nash »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2004, 12:19:53 AM »
Are you eligible for your own contest, Nash?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 12:21:24 AM »
But will the 4WD stand steadfast in its lubrication or bend to the elements?

That's the question.

New Consumers Guide is out on Tuesday with the shocking revelations.

Both of my vehicles are 4WD and I make sure that all the proper maintainence is done at the proper time.  They BOTH run excelent in the snow and MY Jeep is awsome during the hot months cause I dont have a top on it during that time.

4 MORE YEARS!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 12:21:50 AM »
Nah screw that. Any jury would take so much pity on me that on the eve of my aquittal we'd all be stupid drunk and be singing the theme to 'Titanic' on Kareoke.

That's the problem. A problem you seem to want to avoid. For it makes void your entire argument.

Theme to 'Titanic'? Would that be groooooan, creeeeeek, glub glub glub? Not that any particular party is sinking mind you, or  that any rats are abandonding ship. :)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 12:25:37 AM »
I have become disappointed with the Bush administration on many levels but I made a decision to support the effort to influence Iraq towards long term stability and I will not back down from that position unless there is undisputable proof of "evildoing" on the part of the adminstration.  I have not yet seen any undisputable proof of "evildoing" and I will stick with my commitment.  I owe it personaly to all those that have been killed and maimed on my behalf.  I will not back down from my own commitment and will cast my vote, albeit reluctantly, for Bush.

Still, the election is seven month away.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2004, 12:26:46 AM »
Support the candidate (or buy the car) who (which) matches the list of issues (features) you think are important.

I think leadership is important, and when I choose a leader, I hope for someone who can show me a path that I may not have seen, a better path than I knew.  

Yes.... fer sure no doubt. But you can't take the current crop of politicians out of the equation or you gonna wind up back in fairy tale land.

That's why your argument is wrong. It's idealistic (which I happen to dig), but it's a bit unrealistic.

If you want someone to "show you a path, a better path" would you in a million years have thought you'd be looking to George Jr. for that path?

No.

So it's a damn good thing thing y'all still have some semblence of a say in things.

Btw. "Oregon Trail".... SEA LION CAVES! :aok and just a bit south TREES OF MYSTERY! :aok

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 12:29:48 AM »
Are you eligible for your own contest, Nash?
\

Nah. And verboten to speak of it outside that thread.