Author Topic: Colin Powell on Meet The Press  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Colin Powell on Meet The Press
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 03:57:30 PM »
But, the impression I get is that he is utterly loved by the rank and file of Americans and they would elect him tomorrow if he put his name forward.

As Sandman said...perhaps he's not doing because some loon will do a MLK on him?

Ravs

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 03:57:40 PM »
Rip, don't play down the KKK. It may be invisible in Seattle, but trust me they are still alive and hatin' in the South. They still have a hierarchy in place as well. As I have said before, I was born a poor white child and raised by rednecks so I've seen some pretty disturbing stuff, like kids running around playing in the front yard wearing Daddy's hood. I have no doubt one of those morons would take a shot at Powell if elected (and CP would win by a landslide).
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »
My bro, who is a Chemical Engineer, had a job in Alabama...he wasn't sure what to expect, and when he returned I asked him about the deep south racism question. He said the people there were lovely.

Guess he didn't stray into the wrong neighbourhoods!

Ravs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 04:00:53 PM »
Originally posted by ravells
But, the impression I get is that he is utterly loved by the rank and file of Americans and they would elect him tomorrow if he put his name forward.

As Sandman said...perhaps he's not doing because some loon will do a MLK on him?

Ravs

To listen to his wife speak, that's exactly it. She doesn't want him to be president.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2004, 04:01:47 PM »
Originally posted by ravells
My bro, who is a Chemical Engineer, had a job in Alabama...he wasn't sure what to expect, and when he returned I asked him about the deep south racism question. He said the people there were lovely.

Guess he didn't stray into the wrong neighbourhoods!

Ravs

Is your brother white, by chance?
sand

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2004, 04:02:48 PM »
I'm speechless here.  I can't imagine someone killing the president because of his race or whatever perceived racially based kook theories they cook up.  

What the hell have you folks seen in your life that makes you think anyone would do that?  I'm honestly curious.  It's absolutely incomprehensible to me.  

I guess I'm just a sheltered little white boy.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2004, 04:03:08 PM »
do not see it happening yet .. maybe a black VP 1st

or female as far as that goes

but leave it to those crazy dems and back a black woman next time round :)

Opra for Prez!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2004, 04:03:30 PM »
Originally posted by mosgood
I think there are a lot more racists out there than meets the eye still.

Look no furtner than this BBs.

"I know no class of my fellowmen, however just, enlightened, and humane, which can be wisely and safely trusted absolutely with the liberties of any other class."    -Fredrick Douglass

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2004, 04:05:10 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Is your brother white, by chance?

No, he's as Indian brown as I am. Actually darker cos he lives in the tropics and I'm here.

Ravs

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 04:08:13 PM »
Anyone remember that commercial in the 70's with the kid fishing with his grampa in the boat?

The kid asks "Grampa, what's racist mean?"

The grampa says "Why do you ask?"

The kid responds "Joey says that I'm racist"

Gramps 'Who's Joey?"

Kid "He's my jewish friend".....

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2004, 04:21:42 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
Look no furtner than this BBs.

"I know no class of my fellowmen, however just, enlightened, and humane, which can be wisely and safely trusted absolutely with the liberties of any other class."    -Fredrick Douglass

What some think of as racism can be misconstrued as "cultural differences", I really can't think of one instant where outright racism is dictated in a post. Skuzzy would have nothing of it, either.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2004, 04:30:51 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
Rip, don't play down the KKK. It may be invisible in Seattle, but trust me they are still alive and hatin' in the South. They still have a hierarchy in place as well. As I have said before, I was born a poor white child and raised by rednecks so I've seen some pretty disturbing stuff, like kids running around playing in the front yard wearing Daddy's hood. I have no doubt one of those morons would take a shot at Powell if elected (and CP would win by a landslide).

Well I am downplaying the KKK, The KKK, as a whole, does not pose a significant threat like it used to. That is not to say that a member of the KKK will not act on his own or in concert with members of another group. Law enforcement has been very successful in infiltrating a number of these groups, thereby keeping abreast of their plans for action. The KKK also draws the attention of many watchdog groups, and the Southern Poverty Law Center produces a quarterly publication entitled "Klanwatch." It would be difficult for any of the known KKK groups to participate in violence without law enforcement knowing.

That said, the Neo-Nazi groups in the US has doubled since 2002 apparently, and 9/11 events helped fuel alot of that unfortunately.  New Jersy accounted for 1/3 of all of these new nazi groups since 2002. Go figure..

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2004, 04:37:39 PM »
I really can't think of one instant where outright racism is dictated in a post. Skuzzy would have nothing of it, either.

Outright racism? but then again you agree that there have been racism on this board right?
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2004, 04:38:27 PM »
Well, maniac, the Arabs as a whole havn't fared too well.

Ravs

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2004, 04:42:51 PM »
Rip, you are isolated from their core constituancy. In South Carolina, for example, they have (claim) over 100,000 members.
I don't personally know any Klansmen from other states so I can't give numbers on them. Yes, the FBI shut down the KKK in the 30's and again in the 60's but they keep regrouping. They are still the same backward thinkers they ever were and I guarentee there would be volunteers or loose cannons.

(Note: I am not and never will be a member of the KKK. Unfortunately, I am related to one of those imbeciles.)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.