Author Topic: Tornado/Patriot missile incident: Accident Report published  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
The Ministry of Defence, with help of the US Army, published the following report:

http://www.mod.uk/linked_files/publications/foi/maaszg710.pdf

Unfortunately with not much left of the Tornado they had to speculate what might happened on the Tornado side of things.

Interesting reading nevertheless.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 10:37:57 AM by Replicant »
NEXX

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Tornado/Patriot missile incident: Accident Report published
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 11:24:05 AM »
It was a damn shame but accidents do happen and people sometimes die when they do. to the brave crew of ZG710.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 01:08:33 PM »
dumbarse patriot battery slackers..  ADA the "Alcoholics Defending America"

"The Board concluded that airspace routing, airspace control measures and a breakdown in planning and communication were contributory factors in the accident"

I remember Maverick talk some smack during my :

ADA thread

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82787

heres a quote:

"I find this to be a bit unpleasant. Not that the plane was shot down, that is most definately a sad incident. What I find unpleasant is the second guessing from arm chair "generals" who weren't there, have no facts and little insight on what DID happen. Gents. there will be an investigation about it. Let those folks who have that responsibility, and even more important ACTUAL expertise, make the findings. Then you can debate your own silly opinions about it."
Maverick 3-25-2003

It may have taken a year but boy is vindication sweet..  

:lol    

"A arm chair general has been recorded"

DoctorYO

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:31:24 PM »
Yes, it was a tragedy; fratricide is one of the worst aspects of war.

Lots of causal factors listed in that report; I doubt blame can be laid on any one aspect.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 01:39:31 PM »
Originally posted by DoctorYO
dumbarse patriot battery slackers..  ADA the "Alcoholics Defending America"

"The Board concluded that airspace routing, airspace control measures and a breakdown in planning and communication were contributory factors in the accident"

I remember Maverick talk some smack during my :

ADA thread

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82787

heres a quote:

"I find this to be a bit unpleasant. Not that the plane was shot down, that is most definately a sad incident. What I find unpleasant is the second guessing from arm chair "generals" who weren't there, have no facts and little insight on what DID happen. Gents. there will be an investigation about it. Let those folks who have that responsibility, and even more important ACTUAL expertise, make the findings. Then you can debate your own silly opinions about it."
Maverick 3-25-2003

It may have taken a year but boy is vindication sweet..  

"A arm chair general has been recorded"

DoctorYO

I don't think anyone was vindicated in or by this report. Possibly unforeseeable circumstances added up to the death of one valiant crew. Nothing to gloat about here.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 02:34:05 PM »
read my ada post; read the report..  (and read all two/three followups from me. )

Not gloating just vindicating there is a difference..

Ill edit the smillies if it makes you feel offended..

Note the above quote I took from the report is the most important factor imo the report details the IFF failure but as I displayed before IFF is not the only criteria to engage.  The report backs what i said also..  You can read right..

Use your brain, not emotions to defend your squadmate (while honorable your actions, they are wrong..) I love to see how many Anti radiation missles were used against allied assets thru out the conflict.

In my opinion is none.. why?

They had no airforce.  They had no scuds with anti radiation seekers attached to them..  How do you get a anti radiation signal when the enemy has no assets to deliver such a weapon.  The Officer on duty should have radioed HQ... Oh wait read the report he couldn't... they had communication problems.  It was like the perfect storm of soup sandwiches.  How can you  have delayed contact with you command elements, ever heard of a airdefense net.  The whole concept relies on communication to be effective in early warning.  Again fog of war, I dont think so just plain dumbarseness..  

Note the Tornado was even on the correct vector..  What the battery couldn't read HQ's map overlays put 2 and 2 together and hold the engagement till confirmed hostility...

Oh wait their com-suite was still in transit, ever heard of private go to HQ and get me a freaking overlay of avenues of approach..  "right away sir"

Or how bout "HQ im missing my communication suite I need to set up new rules of engagement to prevent friendly engagement"

This is rudimentry Air Defense, dont blow up your own guys..  The lowly private even learns that at Ft. Blister...

I know your thinking its easy to say in hindsite but note the ADA posting date.

Yes im right.. I know it hurts but im right... (now thats gloating)  not the initial posting...

enjoy..

DoctorYo
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:41:39 PM by DoctorYO »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:23:29 PM »
Causal Factors taken from the report:

1. The Patriot system identifies hostile missiles through their flight profile and other characteristics, including the lack of an IFF response. The criteria programmed into the Patriot computer were based on the many different Anti-Radiation Missiles available worldwide, and were therefore very broad.

Hostile missile identification criteria too broad. DESIGN FLAW

2.The Board concluded that the Patriot Anti-Radiation Missile Rules Of
Engagement were not robust enough to prevent a friendly aircraft being
classified as an Anti-Radiation Missile

ROE "not robust enough"  ROE are a COMMAND FUNCTION

3.The crew were fully trained, but their training had
focused on recognising generic threats rather than on those that were specific to Iraq or on identifying false alarms. The Board concluded that both Patriot firing doctrine and training were contributory factors in the accident.

"firing doctrine and training were contributory factors in the accident" Doctrine and Training are a COMMAND FUNCTION

4.The Patriot crew were operating autonomously, with a primary role of
protecting ground troops from missile attack, but the Rules of Engagement allowed the Battery to fire in self-defence.

Clearance to operate autonomously is a COMMAND FUNCTION

5. The Board believed that autonomous operations without voice and
data connections to and from Battalion HQ might have contributed to the difficulty the Battery had in receiving the Mode 1 IFF codes.

COMMAND FUNCTION again.

6. The Board concluded that ZG710’s IFF had a fault, which was unknown to the aircrew, and that the lack of IFF at the time of the accident was a contributory factor.

EQUIPMENT MALFUNCTION

7.The Board concluded that airspace routing, airspace control measures and a breakdown in planning and communication were contributory factors in the accident.

COMMAND FUNCTION

8.The Board considered that the instructions available to aircrew
regarding aircraft operating without IFF were misleading and that this was a contributory factor.

COMMAND FUNCTION

So to review: One Design Flaw, 6 instances of a failure of the Command Structure to properly design procedures/instruct the troops (both Missileers and Pilots) and one Equipment Malfunction.

Yet you rejoice that your comment about

dumbarse patriot battery slackers.. ADA the "Alcoholics Defending America"
is vindicated?

I'm not defending Mav here; he clearly doesn't need it.

But it sure is easy to second guess the guys that are in the hot seat from the comfort of YOUR armchair, isn't it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 08:23:26 PM »
6 command functions thats a polite teminology for "User error" (skuzzy and computer savy will appreciate...)

Other wise known as incompetence...

command? whose command.. Tankers and infantry dont tell ADA how to do there job.. (nor vice versa even though ADA out marksmaned the infantry 7 out of 8 quarters.) Coffee makers in the TOC dont either. you telling me you think some other smoe tells ada how to engage something.  ADA has command over their own missles..  oh wait tankers need to ask ada or MI to engage with their 120mm..

They dont go hey general you got a battle going on do we have permission to fire.. its far too chaotic in a TOC to do that..  no its more like you have criteria.. if that criteria is met you engage..   here they didn't have the necessary communication (cluster mistake #1) with the RAF liason in the TOC period.... yes your not bright on these matters..

the target met the critera of a friendly by its speed vector alt.. etc..  where was the person pushing the button interpreting that..  it didn't happen ..

These yahoo's (no pun intended) engaged first asked questions later plain and simple.. (sounds like the current sop watch the news on all branches of the military)

you have a ada element in that command tent..  you should have a foreign command element in your toc also... ..  and that element does everything in their power to ensure this doesn't happen.  Now the only problem is they had no communication that is direct communication; and the delay to relay it to the other battery put them in a time crunch..

Their mission was to protect against ballistic missles for their ground element..  A self defence action on the battery is a secondary mission..   With no bangs or explosions they engaged.  Trusting the system.. a system that has some well documented flaws..   in less than one minute they engaged..  with no real anti radiation missles in theater that were hostile..

2 people died to dumbarses... not even americans.. even worse..

we had air superiority at this time frame of engagement..  what was it a manpad  HARM... UFO etc..

your really clueless on this matter.  what experience do you have with the ADA..

any?   lets hear it?  any?  yes you are a smoe..

Bottom line (your feeble attack is parried.)

Toad you may know other military operations (doesn't seem like it but then again OJ was inocent) but you are so freaking wrong and im calling you on it..

Talk out your rear like you know all if you want.. I'm not fooled;  because im about to really break it down for you very soon and you will look like a baboon when im done.. you want that i can see...  

And dont worry im not as high up as voss on this cloak and dagger stuff.  But on this topic of ADA i know what im talking about..  

You your either fibbing to be cool.. (voss) or just plain brain dead on these matters..

Enjoy..

DoctorYO

PS take your bottom feeder arse back to bishland..  I notice  now that rooks have numbers your squad changes to the side with numbers..  Honorable indeed..

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 08:51:39 PM »
Baloney.

"User error?" That the Patriot programming was wrong from the design phase?

"no its more like you have criteria.. if that criteria is met you engage.. "

Criteria like ROE?

ROE that the report said "Board concluded that the Patriot Anti-Radiation Missile Rules Of Engagement were not robust enough to prevent a friendly aircraft being classified as an Anti-Radiation Missile"?

Or are you trying to suggest that an indvidual Patriot crew sets it's own ROE?

you have a ada element in that command tent.. you should have a foreign command element in your toc also... .. and that element does everything in their power to ensure this doesn't happen. Now the only problem is they had no communication that is direct communication; and the delay to relay it to the other battery put them in a time crunch..

And you're suggesting the individual ADA crew determines the direct communication...... contrary to what the Board found, of course.

You've also determined that the two findings that relate to the pilot's command structure as the actual Patriot crew's fault?

You didn't read the whole report did you?

Ludicrous. General. Pretty clear who's bellybutton is emitting.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 08:55:21 PM »
meh-thinks this is gonna be good...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 09:00:50 PM »
Not much more to say. The findings of the British Ministry of Defence are pretty clear. Well, if you read them they are.

There's 8 causal factors listed. I don't see a single one that points to a failure by the actual Patriot crew.

Pretty much ends the discussion from my point of view.

Unless it's yet another vast right wing / CIA / FBI conspiracy that the Brits are in on to the neck.

Maybe BOOSH fired the missile! That's it! It was BOOOOSH!!

:rolleyesthingie:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 09:02:06 PM »
Maybe the Brigadier will take each causal factor and show how it was a direct result of action by the individual Patriot crew.

I'll look forward to reading that.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 09:16:06 PM »
"I'm not fooled; because im about to really break it down for you very soon and you will look like a baboon when im done.. "

This is what grabbed my attention.

You guys just had to go and do this during the playoff game.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 02:00:52 PM »
I got quite a laugh from your descriptions here’s the break down, go lie to someone else I don’t buy your response..

1. The Patriot system identifies hostile missiles through their flight profile and other characteristics, including the lack of an IFF response. The criteria programmed into the Patriot computer were based on the many different Anti-Radiation Missiles available worldwide, and were therefore very broad.

Hostile missile identification criteria too broad. DESIGN FLAW

Quite the contrary, if the team didn't load this that’s a deficiency on their part..  Need to see the American AAR to see if it was at the company/battery level vs. the Battalion level..  Buts its user error...laziness slip thru the cracks act of god or BOOSH**...  Its also not a flaw but a strength of the system to fine tune to the Theater its in..  Also take a long look at the “including the lack of IFF response” Note IFF is only part of the issue..  IMO I’d say IFF makes up a good 40% with 60% other criteria..  Who knows how they are training crewmembers now, but IFF when I was trained note trained (where’s your training?) was not the primary factor to engage..  It’s been a tool to assist not decide. You cease to understand that.. But then again for a baboon you were doing all right.  Your wrong but you made a good common sense effort..

2.The Board concluded that the Patriot Anti-Radiation Missile Rules Of
Engagement were not robust enough to prevent a friendly aircraft being
Classified as an Anti-Radiation Missile

ROE "not robust enough" ROE are a COMMAND FUNCTION

Who knows what we told the Brits to cover our arse.  But I see failure in not seeing the 1st aircraft of the pair.. That’s sophisticated radar it should have seen the other plane.  For one if they trust the computer so much why do they have a human element at all?  I'll tell you why to prevent exactly what happened that early morning.  For a Non robot human to interpret the data and if necessary override its decision to prevent FF.  I also see failure in using standard out of the book protocol(ROE) to defend against Harms.  Your in a combat zone where you have air superiority, no attacks of this nature have been reported and there are no ground based harms that go 18,000 ft and then attack whatever is radiating...  those 3 factors the computer cant think it out for you..  But a human can instantly recognize something is not right here..  Again the American AAR is needed especially for the airspeed alt and vector data..  To formally conclude user error.. (IMO its user error) But still you had that human element and he didn't put 2 and 2 together.. and engaged a AR missile without IMO the Necessary ROE for the theater..  In self-defense yes the Individual unit will decide its ROE from the lowly manpad to patriots. Self-defense is a universal right in air defense and the military in general. Hence the human pushing the little red button... not the computer doing it for him..  If 2 + 2 = 5 you have a problem.

3.The crew were fully trained, but their training had
focused on recognizing generic threats rather than on those that were specific to Iraq or on identifying false alarms. The Board concluded that both Patriot firing doctrine and training were contributory factors in the accident.

"firing doctrine and training were contributory factors in the accident" Doctrine and Training are a COMMAND FUNCTION

Again you are wrong…  Whose command are you talking about; ADA commands itself under the umbrella of a liaison to the commander of the battle, or a TOC.  Those are ADA officers calling the shots with their own troops not some other element unless you have been imbedded with a line unit and patriots don’t do that manpads do...  He still has to go thru the liaison that then gives orders to the battery in question..  In regards of training that’s on a battalion / battery level… Not HQ of the Theater..

4.The Patriot crew were operating autonomously, with a primary role of
protecting ground troops from missile attack, but the Rules of Engagement allowed the Battery to fire in self-defense.

Clearance to operate autonomously is a COMMAND FUNCTION

Autonomously means not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent: an autonomous
For reference use http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=autonomously
Are you an utter idiot? Autonomously means independent, not in command.  How is that a command function..  Brush up on your English skills, you’re using this word as its opposite of what it means.. Eagler will have some competition this year for Doc’s simian of the year award...  My baboon comment was apparently accurate..

In regards to the FF engagement by the battery being autonomous it should have delayed its response until confirmed hostility..  Not a blip…  Using what happened, as an example be glad our Norad and Russian counterparts don’t use ADA’s systems/ROE to manage their nuclear arsenals.  And quite honestly the person who pushed the red button and killed those 2 men should have been reprimanded for either not reporting his lack of communication situation and not having a plan in place to prevent this tragedy due to the lackluster comm. relay they had in place.

5. The Board believed that autonomous operations without voice and
data connections to and from Battalion HQ might have contributed to the difficulty the Battery had in receiving the Mode 1 IFF codes.

COMMAND FUNCTION again.

Again you’re wrong again.. Crypto is loaded before the mission not during it.. Especially if you have no data comms to pull it.. (Old fashioned way “early nineties” was small crypto devices, I'm sure they still work in a situation like this..)  If there was a problem with their ability to utilize IFF mode 1 why was it not reported to HQ that they were in a substandard situation and a alternative ROE was needed to be SOP for the remainder of the mission due to the lack of the battery’s ability to positively identify threat..

And again… for the broken record impaired..   IFF is not the sole identifier of threat.. And what happened is exactly the reason why those rules / ROE are in place…

6. The Board concluded that ZG710’s IFF had a fault, which was unknown to the aircrew, and that the lack of IFF at the time of the accident was a contributory factor.

EQUIPMENT MALFUNCTION

I have to agree with you there..  Report says malfunction no rebuttal here…  your 1 for 6 so far…16.6% (that’s good for a monkey)

7.The Board concluded that airspace routing, airspace control measures and a breakdown in planning and communication were contributory factors in the accident.

COMMAND FUNCTION

Well this is the big one.. This right here is what I have been harping on the last couple of posts…  “Sir, comms are down we cant get the data for the bigboard..”  Send private Toad to go to hq and copy some acetate overlays for the avenues of approach and speed and vectors. (Oldschool but then again I’ve never had a piece of acetate crash due to a software glitch..)  If they did do what I described they didn’t use them..

That’s a battery command by the way..  Or in your thinking a command function if you consider the battery officer an HQ command level officer.. heh…  Most likely a butter maybe a captain, but do to shortages of troops I’m saying a butter imo..  Next…

8.The Board considered that the instructions available to aircrew
regarding aircraft operating without IFF were misleading and that this was a contributory factor.

COMMAND FUNCTION

This is the Brits fault IMO, Their liaison didn’t brief them in the manner he should have or did and was not comprehended..

Well all in all not bad for someone without a clue…

2 out of 8 25% is good..  Especially considering your cognitive abilities of the simian impaired.

Before you attempt a rebuttal again I ask you.  What experience do you have working with ADA you ducked the question in your posting.  Then you machine-gunned 3 posts in rapid succession for what? Intimidation.

One more time.. WHAT EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE WITH THE ADA…  ?

I have about 4 years, 2 live fires (qualified 8 out of  8) with direct hits, tour in Korea and others.  And was top team at my job for 8 quarters in a row…  If you understand what that is its quite a accomplishment..  

They don’t give out the toys I got to play with to the duds of the unit its just too expensive..

If you have no experience than really whatever opinion you have of the matter is moot.  This tactic I’m using worked really well against Eagler and the other warmongers when they were thumping their chest for war.  I told them to post their re-up papers…  as I suspected no one did (I don’t blame them for not wanting to be cannon fodder but then again they were yapping like big men / tough guys…) Kind of like you yapping about knowing what the hell ADA is and what their tactics are..

Any more..  Have some worked mess hall bacon on me.. Super Troop cherry...

DoctorYO

PS:  you should change you name to “autonomous babewynus-simia  bufo vulgaris”

** I enjoyed the Bush propaganda discredit tactics .. very brilliant..

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 02:57:58 PM »
Before we even bother just clear this up:

You feel vindicated in your original assessment that this particular individual Patriot crew was comprised of

dumbarse patriot battery slackers.. ADA the "Alcoholics Defending America"
?

Just want to be sure before I even bother to answer.