Author Topic: Why gays want to marry  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2004, 03:55:26 PM »
Originally posted by Mighty1
You guys keeps saying they should have these rights because we do but they aren't like me or you they want more.
They have the right to marry the opposite sex just like us.

They should have the right to marry the person they love, you can so they should be able to do it as well. They are just like you in the sense that their trying to be happy and find their place in life and society. They are unlike you in meddling with other people's affairs and trying to force ones own misguided beliefs and stone-age morals upon others, ever saw a homosexual lobbying for a ban on heterosexual marriage?

All this PC whinny BS is getting on my nerves.

As if the preposterous expressions of whiny bigotry and (wishful) backward reasoning don't tire those who don't look upon other groups with condescension to battle their own innate insecurities...

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2004, 08:18:30 PM »
Originally posted by txmx
Nice link now prove it works in humans.

I wasn't aware that I was tackling anything more than your statement that it "works that way in nature."  

Now, if you want to get into the arguement on whether or not it is posible in humans, then I can say that it is...but only if medical technology currently available is used (at least as far as I know).  Very simply: take the DNA from one woman's egg (or the same woman, for that matter), and insert it into the egg of a woman who will carry the fetus to term.  As I understand it, you could technically do the same thing with the DNA found in sperm, the only difference is that you would need an egg that had no DNA in it to begin with, and a woman would have to bring any fetus to term.

If you want to argue morals, I'm not interested.  Pretty much everyone who has posted here has made up his/her mind, and I'm not interested in being drug into a revolving debate on the issue with a bunch of people on a BBS board.  I find the whole arguement from both sides interesting, but I don't really see the point in hitting my head against a wall.

I will, however, occasionally take it upon myself to post facts to dispute inaccuracies in other people's posts. :D

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2004, 08:21:01 PM »
Originally posted by emodin
I wasn't aware that I was tackling anything more than your statement that it "works that way in nature."  

Now, if you want to get into the arguement on whether or not it is posible in humans, then I can say that it is...but only if medical technology currently available is used (at least as far as I know).  Very simply: take the DNA from one woman's egg (or the same woman, for that matter), and insert it into the egg of a woman who will carry the fetus to term.  As I understand it, you could technically do the same thing with the DNA found in sperm, the only difference is that you would need an egg that had no DNA in it to begin with, and a woman would have to bring any fetus to term.

If you want to argue morals, I'm not interested.  Pretty much everyone who has posted here has made up his/her mind, and I'm not interested in being drug into a revolving debate on the issue with a bunch of people on a BBS board.  I find the whole arguement from both sides interesting, but I don't really see the point in hitting my head against a wall.

I will, however, occasionally take it upon myself to post facts to dispute inaccuracies in other people's posts. :D

Find a woman that makes her own sperm and then I might  see your point there.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2004, 10:02:41 PM »
whats the argument about again?

woman sues doctor because he did not do his job. woman went to doctor, showed doc the lump, doc didnt do anything about it (and yes, im sorry but the woman is also quite responsible at not having a 2nd opinion from another doctor..i mean cmon, if you grow a big ball somewhere in your body and a phd says its nothing..do you believe him and trust your life on that? heck no).

as for all of ye anti-gay marriage religious nuts: Whats the big deal? You should be going to the local worship hut and giving thanks to the diety of your choice that homosexuals and lesbians are getting married.

Homosexuality is not hereditary you know. And even if it indeed was, same sex couples sure as heck aint  mixing their genes with their partners.

"Now, if you want to get into the arguement on whether or not it is posible in humans, then I can say that it is...but only if medical technology currently available is used (at least as far as I know). Very simply: take the DNA from one woman's egg (or the same woman, for that matter), and insert it into the egg of a woman who will carry the fetus to term. As I understand it, you could technically do the same thing with the DNA found in sperm, the only difference is that you would need an egg that had no DNA in it to begin with, and a woman would have to bring any fetus to term. "

You've described cloning. The woman carrying the fetus to term would be carrying the genetic 'twin' of whoever donated the dna.

the dna in a woman's egg is different from the one in a sperm. XX vs XY. When the sperm meets the egg the dna exchange begins.. the only way to make a woman knock another woman up would be to get her XX genes and snip off the part that turns the second X into a "Y" (to use extremely crude layman's terms here).

By the time that kind of technology is avaliable, you would be able to simply build up your own dna... ala Gattaca for example.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 10:07:47 PM by OIO »

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2004, 03:04:02 AM »
Originally posted by OIO

the dna in a woman's egg is different from the one in a sperm. XX vs XY. When the sperm meets the egg the dna exchange begins.. the only way to make a woman knock another woman up would be to get her XX genes and snip off the part that turns the second X into a "Y" (to use extremely crude layman's terms here).

A sperm carries EITHER an X or a Y chromosome, while the egg only carries one X chromosome (in most cases).  If the sperm that fertalizes the egg has the X chromosome, the child becomes a girl.  If the sperm has a Y chromosome, it becomes a boy.  In cases where the sperm or the egg carry two chromosomes (like XY, XX, ect), then you get into the realm of  Klinefelter Syndrome (XXY chromosomes), which has some nasty genetic side-effects (infertillity being just one).  Basically, you don't have to have the Y chromosome.  If you did, everyone would be male.

As far as cloning goes, it is not the same thing.  During reproduction, the DNA from the two parent gametes (mature sperm or egg cell) contain only 1/4 of the parent's DNA.  Meiosis splits the full 46 chromosomal pairs into the haploid 23 chromosomes, and then meiosis II splits those chromosomes in half, with one chromatid per haploid going to each gamete.  Therefore, each gamete has only one chromatid out of the total of four chromatids found in a regular chromosomal pair found in your average human cell.

Therefore, since there is only 25% of the parent's full DNA represented in each gamete (and crossover can occur along the chromatids), combining two gametes from the same creature will not result in a clone.  ***edit: actually, my math was off...there is a 50% base chance of a genetic match occuring-ie a clone.  However, due to gene swapping (chromosome pairs swapping genes between each other) during a certain phase of Meiosis I, this chance is greatly reduced***

(For those of you who have noticed that 1/4 + 1/4 does not equal 1, you have to remember that the chromatids combine and then double).

A clone is an exact DNA duplicate of a creature.

As per my link earlier in this thread, there is a species of lizards that is almost entirely female, and they do not need male lizards of their species to reproduce.

However, if we are talking about mammals specifically, due to what is called "imprinting," things become a little trickier.  However, scientists have gotten around this with lab mice, and it is believed that it would be posible to do the same thing in humans., though there are ethical questions involved in undertaking such a procedure.  http://www.nature.com/nsu/040419/040419-8.html#
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 03:15:49 AM by emodin »

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2004, 03:35:31 AM »
Ok so how do two women reproduce by just having sex together?

Or do they still need sperm?
And where do we get the little swimmers?

You got it MEN !

So even though I flunked math I can even do the addition on this one.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2004, 03:37:01 AM »
My silly point is that if you wish to procreate man needs woman and woman needs man.

Funny how it works that way .
We still aint found a way to out smart God yet have we?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2004, 03:41:54 AM »
Ok so how do two women reproduce by just having sex together?

Or do they still need sperm?
And where do we get the little swimmers?

You got it MEN !

So even though I flunked math I can even do the addition on this one.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2004, 03:45:23 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371

So a GAY marriaige Is a joke then right?
I mean you cant create a child togther witch is one of the main reasons for getting married .
Atleast it used to be you know family and those silly old values.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2004, 03:53:42 AM »
Originally posted by Mighty1
They have the right to marry the opposite sex just like us.

Where have I heard this before?  Oh right.  Black people have the right to marry some of their race, just like us.  I don't see why they should be allowed to marry white people.

The answer by the way, is "freedom".  Gay people in Mass. just got the freedom to marry the people they love, but some of you just can't help but want to hold that back.  You want the state to say who consenting adults can an can't marry.  ****ing commies.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2004, 04:02:27 AM »
No I want the church to say who can and cant get married as I see it as a holy union not a civil one.

And the Bible clearly states that a man shall not lie with another man.

A man and woman together  weather they be a black man and a white woman makes no difference as they are not breaking the laws of God and nature.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2004, 04:11:56 AM »
A man and woman together  weather they be a black man and a white woman makes no difference as they are not breaking the laws of God and nature.

As was demostrated to you up above homosexuality is not against the laws of nature, but exists in nature in many places.  

No one is asking you stop following your relgion as you see it.  But it goes against the principles of the US for you to try an force someone else to follow the religion as you see it.  Unless you think that the US is a theocracy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 04:15:43 AM by Thrawn »

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2004, 04:17:29 AM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
You are lying.  As was demostrated to you up above homosexuality is not against the laws of nature, but exists in nature in many places.  

No one is asking you stop following your relgion as you see it.  But it goes against the principles of the US for you to try an force someone else to follow the religion as you see it.  Unless you think that the US is a theocracy.

I believe that like being babtised being married is something done by the church.
And the church does not condone homosexuals.

For those who do not belive in God and his rules you will never understand this.
But at some point the day will come when we all will have to answer for our actions here on earth.

Are you ready?
I know I'm not.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2004, 04:27:01 AM »
I believe that like being babtised being married is something done by the church.

Did you and your wife get a marriage licence when you got married?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Why gays want to marry
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2004, 05:10:12 AM »
Thrawn, I know it's late, but why are you arguing at this particular idiot?  I say at, because he's incapable of putting together a coherent argument.  Let him be, and remember - it's not nice to pick on the handicapped.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!