Author Topic: Why fuel burn is back to 2 ?  (Read 7727 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Why fuel burn is back to 2 ?
« on: May 24, 2004, 02:28:23 PM »
it was fine IMO but now it's a bit to much for me (from typhoon yak la5 lover perspective)

Can't it be set to 1.5 or something between 1 and 2 ?

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 02:54:10 PM »
Straffo,

Unsure why the rate changed...perhaps HTC is tweaking things to see how they work in the beta...not sure how this will work in the final version though.

Take care!!

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 03:03:44 PM »
It's been set at 2 and 2.25.  It reset to 1 when the arena was rebooted and the setting didn't save or something.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 03:10:36 PM »
So I guess there is no plan to have a change to the usual setting ?

btw I still don't understand the purpose/need of the fuel multiplier.

I agree it's important for US or Japanese planes but close support plane like the typhoon or the yak have their leg cut pretty short :p

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 03:37:42 PM »
I understand the concept of using a 2x burn rate to compensate for the reduced distances compared to real life. However the arena is not "compressed" in the vertical, so the short-legged fighters that need altitude to fight with are at an unfair disadvantage IMHO.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 04:25:22 PM »
Fuel management, the E6B is there to help .
Full throttle all the time is not the only way to fly.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 05:02:15 PM »
Nothing new to me.

But why will pee51 dweeb still be able to firewall throttle when I'm forced to manage fuel just because I don't love flying some avgaz tank ?

Try to up at a 25% field in a Yak or Typhoon then try to rejustify me the need for a multiplier.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 05:09:45 PM »
I think 1.7 is good.

2.0 seems to be a bit too penalizing, 1.0 is too long.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 05:56:12 PM »
Its done because we americans hate french people.  We do like french fries though, thats why they aren't perked and their multiplier is $1.89 for a large order at the local fast food chain.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 06:51:37 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier
Fuel management, the E6B is there to help .
Full throttle all the time is not the only way to fly.

Full throttle is the most fuel economical way to climb.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 08:19:58 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
Nothing new to me.

But why will pee51 dweeb still be able to firewall throttle when I'm forced to manage fuel just because I don't love flying some avgaz tank ?

fuel economy IS a major part of combat. modern fighters don't use a lot of afterburner or the run out of fuel in minutes. Long leggged fighters should have an advantage. You want to climb at 5000 fpm and gallop to the fight at 400mph? pay the fuel. else, use the E6B to control it.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 08:29:27 PM »
I repeat: Full throttle is the most fuel economical way to climb.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 08:36:04 PM »
GScholz is quite correct.  The problem with the fuel multiplier is that it makes altitude rather unpractical for short range interceptors like the Bf109, Fw190, Hurricane and Spitfire where in reality altitude wasn't a problem for those fighters.

Perhaps a better way to do range limitations would be to deduct a number of gallons based on the aircraft's fuel consumption for every 25 miles (or 15 or whatever works best) the aircraft has flown from the base it took off of.  This way the Bf109 or Spitfire would be perfectly suitable short range interceptors and the P-51 and A6M would still get the benefit of range from all the fuel they carry.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 08:37:02 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
I understand the concept of using a 2x burn rate to compensate for the reduced distances compared to real life. However the arena is not "compressed" in the vertical, so the short-legged fighters that need altitude to fight with are at an unfair disadvantage IMHO.

That's not as big of a factor now that fuel burn rate changes with altitude.  Once you get up to high altitude, you're burning a lot less fuel.  With a 2X burn rate, I can climb at mil power in a 109G6 up to 30K and have 20 minutes of fuel remaining at mil power.  If I switch to cruise, I have a lot more and that's not even considering what adding a droptank would do.

People will initially be surprised how quickly fuel is burned in AH2, but if they look, they will find a secondary surprise in how well they can conserve it.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 09:40:51 PM »
Pyro, how about adding an additional feature to lower throttle settings to be used advantageously?

My apologies for bringing up IL2/FB, but with that game the fuel is not much of a factor as it always uses historical fuel loads.

However, I find myself flying on lower throttle settings to keep my engine cool and prepare it for a fight, rather than do it to save fuel.

Now, I know that AH/AH2 does not use the complicated overheat scheme as seen in IL2/FB. AH fighters don't have a 'breaking point' in engine, as the WEP automatically switches off at the "red zone". But it does take time cool off.

How about, the engine heat cools off faster when throttle settings are lower? IMO that'd provide a tactical advantage(in terms of WEP performance), as well as an economical fuel solution, for people who choose to cool their engines by certain intervals.

In short, lowering the throttle will serve dual purposes, and I think people will feel less penalized if having low throttle settings actually gives a tactical advantage than just fuel economy.

It doesn't necessarily have to be historical or complicated - it could be a little game device as a "generic calculation" - such as something like, "all fighters will cool down 2 times faster when flying around in cruise settings".. and "all fighters will cool down 1.5 times faster when flying in normal power settings".

Now, this won't provide a direct tactical advantage, since AH, unlike IL2/FB, does not allow the engine to detonate itself. However, keeping throttles low will serve a purpose in cooling down the engine faster - and after a fight with a lot of WEP use, flying around a bit with lower throttle settings will pay off dividends.

IMO it's a good way to promote fuel management via throttle (while it's not directly associated fuel burn rates, it'll have a positive effect in the way people think about it..)