Author Topic: AH2 Dream Graphics  (Read 604 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« on: May 30, 2004, 11:52:13 PM »
If AH2 was 30% of the graphic beauty of this sim with a good FM and damage model. I'd download it if it was 20GB and cost $50 a month to play. Simple things like light reflection on the water make a huge difference.  

HT the planes look ok, but please I hope improvements in the water and terrain are on the way as well.

Oh before anyone slangs, you can expect box graphics in a online sim, that's true. But I would expect atleast 30-50%  of the detail atleast.

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
Re: AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 12:04:59 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer

Oh man, Good lookin' take off from the carrier
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 12:09:06 AM »
Well post your version of this at "30% detail" and maybe we'll have an idea about what you envision as minimally acceptable for an MMOG WWII combat sim that can somewhat cater to the needs of hundreds of players in/on the same arena/server.

Bear in mind the large number of players within the community still on dial-up and the potential problem that synchronized high-end graphics (not just what's on the pc's end) that has to be simultaneously and accurately udpated across x number of paths/connections and the bandwidth involved in even small details can that can end up snowballing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 12:16:33 AM by Arlo »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 12:35:58 AM »
Sorry Gixer, but one of the reasons WW2OL is suffering in the numbers area at the moment is the recent graphics requirement update. I think you'd be suprised at how many use "how little" out there still.

Sims are still a very niche market, online sims even 'nichier', if you only appeal to the top 20% of the market running the latest and greatest hardware then you suddenly have a very very small market.

HTC have been in the biz for a while, I'd lay odds on them having a better idea on the balance required than you or I.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love those graphics, but I will take an arena full of human opponents over pretty graphics and AI opponents any day.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 12:38:50 AM »
Gixer you hit the nail on the head though with your post. Personally I think the "water effects" have gotten pushed so far ahead of what they truly are. Having been on the open ocean a few time in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic/Caribeaan (sp?) I can honestly say that I have never seen the water look anything close to that. Sure it has some reflectivity but nothing that makes it look metallic and shiny like that does. Now on the other hand I really like the way the Pacific Fighters game is shaping up but I wish they would tone down the water a bit.

My $.02 and nothing more.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 06:08:52 AM »
Nice pics,what sim,,,Microsoft?.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 06:36:50 AM »
IL2 Pacific - I've always wondered if sim designers ever get together and chat - I think the AH boys IL2 should get together over a few drinks and work something out that's mutually beneficial!!!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 06:59:55 AM »
If they ever do that..

I think the disagreements in point of view will be so severe, that the Texans and the Russians are gonna start a fist fight! :D

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 07:21:53 AM »
lol would be fun to sit in - I do remember reading an interview with Oleg when he said that he played AH quite a bit and enjoyed it a lot...

Offline Ecke-109-

• Copper Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 07:23:24 AM »
Nice,
i always was complaining about the muzzle flashes in IL2.
When firing in a 109 or 190 you cant see where the bullets go because of this.

Ecke

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 10:49:33 AM »
Well Ht an Pyro have both stated whilst online playing that AH2 is desighned to be upgradeable over the next several years as new and better computers come out so basically we are seeing the ground floor of a game that will in the future upgrade to stay competitive whith future games. Patience people it will get there
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 11:24:48 AM »
How am I supposed to get my drooling under control now? :eek:
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 12:14:25 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
lol would be fun to sit in - I do remember reading an interview with Oleg when he said that he played AH quite a bit and enjoyed it a lot...

this wouldn't be the same oleg we see a lot of in the CT lately?
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Gixer you hit the nail on the head though with your post. Personally I think the "water effects" have gotten pushed so far ahead of what they truly are. Having been on the open ocean a few time in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic/Caribeaan (sp?) I can honestly say that I have never seen the water look anything close to that. Sure it has some reflectivity but nothing that makes it look metallic and shiny like that does. Now on the other hand I really like the way the Pacific Fighters game is shaping up but I wish they would tone down the water a bit.

My $.02 and nothing more.

I haven't been on a boat much, but a lot OVER the water in a plane. The water does look shiny, with a lot of coloring in it, even with the shadows of the clouds visible. When it's overcast, the water surface is very dark.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
AH2 Dream Graphics
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 12:53:28 PM »
yea i agree with frenchy.  When i went flying with my friend in jan we went over the ocean and it look that.
II/JG3 DGS II