Author Topic: How can a really bad pilot do so well?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
How can a really bad pilot do so well?
« on: March 05, 2000, 05:07:00 PM »
I'm not a very good pilot.  I'm a pretty piss-poor gunner.  I haven't read Shaw's and I really don't know squat about ACM.  All I really have going for me is decent SA.

Why is it that I can do so well in the arena?

Anyone have any theories as to why this may be?

AKDejaVu

Citabr

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2000, 05:17:00 PM »
 well realistic or not, this is a game and anyone can do well in it by just observing what works and what does not work.

maybe your better than you think you are     which is always much more desirable than thinking you are better than you are     or better yet dont waste time thinking about it and just have fun  

------------------
Citabria

"There Is No Spoon"

[This message has been edited by Citabr (edited 03-05-2000).]

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2000, 05:30:00 PM »
Instincts

I don't read books and I have no idea what the names of moves are or really what moves there are to do but I do well by doing what feels right at that time.

Kieren and I talk about this from time to time. He's a good pilot because he knows what every AC can do and what a good pilot should do to stay alive.

Me I fly by the seat of my pants not knowing why I just turned sharp but damn glad I did because a 51 I didn't see just zoomed by me.

The pilots that are most dangerous are the ones like Kieren who know the AC AND have good instincts.

Just a thought.

------------------
Mighty1
The New Baby Harp Seals

"Come try to club THIS Seal"
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

coyote

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2000, 05:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
I'm not a very good pilot.  I'm a pretty piss-poor gunner.  I haven't read Shaw's and I really don't know squat about ACM.  All I really have going for me is decent SA.

Why is it that I can do so well in the arena?

Anyone have any theories as to why this may be?

AKDejaVu

Thats the best job of a person kissing their own prettythang I have ever seen! LMAO  

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2000, 05:48:00 PM »

Thats the best job of a person kissing their own prettythang I have ever seen!

*Someone* needs to work on his self esteem.You
won`t build it up by continually trying to tear others down.Or is *this* your problem?  

You seem to have a mean streak both here and in the arena varmit,the good thing is I can squelch you in there. (always do) Sure wish I could do it here as well,theres a big difference in "taunting" and being nasty-why don`t you work on it,you need some practice.  

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by weazel (edited 03-05-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2000, 05:52:00 PM »
Yet, another JPG that I will send to my boss tomorrow from an AnoNyMoUs Email  

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
KNIGHT'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-05-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline jmccaul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2000, 05:52:00 PM »
None of this is real it is a universe created in a super computer and fead directly into your brain. It is designed so it reads your brain and creates a perfect world from your prespective. This means you should be the greatest virtual pilot that has ever lived with a perfect score to reflect this (i.e. no deaths) the rest of your life should be similar (i.e. perfect) - Unfortunatly your mind is so screwed up with various nuroses and self loathing that you cannot allow this perfect world to exsist therefore you are only achieving partial sucess and still think you are a crap pilot.

The question you will (or should be) asking yourself is why am i in this simulation. Well the truth is you were born aire to the alterian throne (meaning you control all planets surrounding apha centuari) unfortunatly for you after you evil uncle was made your godfather he killed the king so his power would pass to you, but you been 3 years old at the time meant this power went to your godfather (evil uncle) untill you were 14 and could claim back the power. Your uncle being evil had no intention of relinquishing this power so created this virtual to keep you trapped unable to claim your rightful place.

Which is a shame really because being king means all the beer you can drink and sheep on demand - oh well toejam happens.

coyote

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2000, 06:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by weazel:

*Someone* needs to work on his self esteem.You
won`t build it up by continually trying to tear others down.Or is *this* your problem?    

You seem to have a mean streak both here and in the arena varmit,the good thing is I can squelch you in there. (always do) Sure wish I could do it here as well,theres a big difference in "taunting" and being nasty-why don`t you work on it,you need some practice.    

1. Weazle, most people, other than low IQ types like yourself understand that was a joke.  

2. Nice self-portrait

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2000, 11:53:00 PM »
tsk tsk tsk tsk,coyote...poor answer...VERY poor...

And BTW is REALLY sad that a SO GOOD pilot as you is SO AWFUL man...plz improve yourself...then maybe I'll unsquelch you.

------------------
Ram, out

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 03-05-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2000, 03:37:00 PM »
AK,

I really don't think ACM/Shaw is a major factor in arena play. "Dog Fighting" only plays a small part in actual scoring. From what I've read the majority of the expert's on all sides avoided "fair fights" at all cost's (the german's in particular). With a few notable exception's I've noticed the same thing here. SA probably acounts for 80% of arena play, most of the high scores engage when they have an edge and exit when things are less than ideal.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »
I disagree hmble, when you see one of the real "aces" come into the arena (Hristo, aper or torque come to mind as wel as Mitsu) its rather like a fox let loose in a chicken coop. Whether they have advantage or not for the most part your a dead duck if you choose to engage them. This is pure ACM and experience screaming out. And I think these people are perfectly capable of upsetting the main arena by showing up...

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2000, 07:40:00 PM »
You guys have missed the unseen point here.  The picture thats posted is proof that pollution is causing some serious genetic mutations!

coyote

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2000, 11:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by RAM:
tsk tsk tsk tsk,coyote...poor answer...VERY poor...

And BTW is REALLY sad that a SO GOOD pilot as you is SO AWFUL man...plz improve yourself...then maybe I'll unsquelch you.

LOL RAM, Bite me! Why should I care if you have me squelched? You must be under the false ASSumption that your opinion on anything is important to ME. I fly this sim to KILL people(and yes I KNOW I am not really "killing" anyone so don't even give a thought to that weak "come back" LOL) Now take your plastic banana and go hug a tree or something, mebe it will be your "friend"  

------------------
Coyote

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
Well DejaVu if you fly anything with the word "Spit" that can offload whatever handicap in skill you may have...

Can spitfire's be beaten, Hell yes.. Are they harder to down when flown by a even semi competant pilot than say a fw190 flown by expert.. Yes again, the spit is harder to kill...

Everyone always thinks pilot has so much to do with being effective in general arena. I agree it is a big factor but the other half of the equation is plane type..

In a 109g10 im a demigod....in a 109f4 im very mortal....but effective..

I noted your kill stats and sorry for implying you fly dweebfire.  You fly dweeb hog instead my bad..

Skill has nothing to due with 8th sec spray/pray bursts on happless targets with .o5 gunnery...

Anytime you want to see how good you are hop in a 109f4 and go around general arena. Anytime you want to see how good you are challenge me to a duel in your dweeb hog, and we will go TA and duke it out....

Or even better dont fly dweeb hog, just fly the normal hog and see how you do... Then post back here after say 5 sorties..  But we all know you wont do that.. that may tarnish your score a bit.

my 2 cents

DoctorYO

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2000, 08:30:00 AM »
i fly Hog ... after flying C-Hog a lot i figured it's even easier to kill with the cal.050's because of their very flat trajectory .. and you can put a LOT of lead into the air.

it's just the  ping snap shot kills on 109's im missing  

allways good to kill a "demigod" LOL

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

[This message has been edited by Duckwing6 (edited 03-07-2000).]