Author Topic: Smarty Jones?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2004, 06:50:58 PM »
He proved that the fix was in.

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2004, 07:13:38 PM »
I agree liz....30 thirtysomething to 1 odds horse wins....waaaay to much money made on that win.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2004, 07:24:11 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
Good read, thanks for the insight. I don't know about what life in the city, but I damn sure won't be wearing any Cowboys hats to another game in Philly. I still have knots on my head from 1992. god beer, good fights, just not fond of the gangbang :(

SO that was YOU  I hit with that battery!!!:)

NUTTZ<---Philly boy, but just moved out to the burbs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 07:33:47 PM »
The winning time in the nine-horse race was 2:27.5 over a fast track, well off Secretariat's Belmont Stakes record of 2:24 in 1973, the year he won the Triple Crown.

So, is 3.5 seconds dogging it in the Belmont? I don't know.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 07:52:02 PM »
As a youth, I was exposed to the ins and outs of horse racing.  It is fixed, count on it.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 11:36:33 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
So, is 3.5 seconds dogging it in the Belmont? I don't know.

I was listening to a guy on the radio who was interviewing a horse analyst and he said that the first part of the race was run very fast, and that the jockey had said that the horse wanted to run so he let him go. The point being that the horse may have run out of gas at the end. I have no idea myself, I did not see the race.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2004, 10:20:31 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ
SO that was YOU  I hit with that battery!!!:)

NUTTZ<---Philly boy, but just moved out to the burbs

LOL Saradauker and Nuttz...good times..good times...

I still get chills reviewing the race..I was  wondering at first if he was gonna pulla horizon job (see Secretariat in '73) when he entered first turn, but he looked tight...I saw him (Smarty) fighting the bit all through the back stretch..

I was really rooting for Smarty, but it's great to see an unknown steal a win. Prado played the spoiler before, and won 2 earlier races that day. Just a great race, and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but those two horses completely destroyed the field. I thik they were 12+ lengths ahead of the field..

to both steeds...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 10:22:54 PM by Red Tail 444 »

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 10:24:55 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
As a youth, I was exposed to the ins and outs of horse racing.  It is fixed, count on it.

Not this time. A 50 million dollar bid was On the table for breeding rights if Smarty won. The owner said this isint about money, so let's hope we still hear about smarty in a few years, or if there's a rendering truck w/ his name on it somewhere :(

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 11:53:36 PM »
Owners don't rig races.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 09:37:05 AM »
So, it comes down to the jockeys? I doubt elliot would have bit the hand that fed him in this case, since they saved his career by giving him a second chance.

I hope you're wrong if you're suggesting Stuart Elliot had something to do with it.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2004, 09:44:08 AM »
I don't know any of the people involved in this race, just that it happens, and a 36/1 over a heavily favored horse is a very good opportunity for someone to make a lot of money.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
Smarty Jones?
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2004, 10:43:13 AM »
He's had bad luck, lost a shoe in Kentucky...didnt run in breeders cup...no one really knew this horse...maybe if he didnt have to be reshod at the derby he could have won there, who knows?

yea it IS a crooked business, I don't disagree with you on that fact...