Author Topic: Lap band surgery  (Read 780 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lap band surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 09:06:41 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I see,  thanks for the explanation.  I would be reticent to under the knife unless I were morbidly obese.  But that's just me.

Hi Storch,

Well that pretty much sums it up, that's exactly my problem.  This isn't a cosmetic surgery, it's a life saving surgery because unless we lose this weight, we're gonna die early.

You know, it's real hard talking about something like this, and before we decided to do the surgery, I would never talk to anyone about it.  But once we scheduled it, I had to tell me family, then a few select co-workers (I'm responsible for a few million dollars of revenue, if I'm dead there'd better be a contingency plan) and it doesn't necessarily get a lot easier each time, but I have a better appreciation for how important the subject is.

Regards,
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Lap band surgery
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 09:08:50 PM »
Originally posted by Horn
I would bring somebody with you that can be watchful and responsible while you are under general and through recovery--like a family member or lawyer, someone like that. You will not be able to help each other should something go awry while you are both under.

h

Hi Horn,

Thanks for the advice.  We're trying to see if there's anyone who can do that for us.  We've decided that if we can't find a friend to do it, we'll still go through the procedure, but it's a good idea as it reduces risk.

Based on the historical success of the surgery, I think the odds of both of us being hit is low, and since the same person is doing our surgeries, I don't have to worry about both of us being under the knife at the same time.  I doubt you could fit both of us in an operating room. :D

Regards,
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 09:19:43 PM »
Heroin would be a lot cheaper in the short term, but since that doesn't seem to be up your alley... Good luck with all of it for both you and your wife.
-SW

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 09:46:53 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy

Based on the historical success of the surgery, I think the odds of both of us being hit is low, and since the same person is doing our surgeries, I don't have to worry about both of us being under the knife at the same time.  I doubt you could fit both of us in an operating room. :D

Regards,

rgr. Good luck to you and the wife.

h

Offline Gyro/T69

• Nickel Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 09:50:40 PM »
Heroin would be a lot cheaper in the short term, but since that doesn't seem to be up your alley... Good luck with all of it for both you and your wife.

Smoking also. :) But having said that. Good luck to you Chairboy and your wife. Hope it all works out for you.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Lap band surgery
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 09:56:09 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'll post any interesting updates in case anyone is interested.

storch

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lap band surgery
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 10:16:46 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Hi Storch,

Well that pretty much sums it up, that's exactly my problem.  This isn't a cosmetic surgery, it's a life saving surgery because unless we lose this weight, we're gonna die early.

You know, it's real hard talking about something like this, and before we decided to do the surgery, I would never talk to anyone about it.  But once we scheduled it, I had to tell me family, then a few select co-workers (I'm responsible for a few million dollars of revenue, if I'm dead there'd better be a contingency plan) and it doesn't necessarily get a lot easier each time, but I have a better appreciation for how important the subject is.

Regards,

best of luck then to you both.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 11:07:54 AM »
Chairboy, I just now saw this post. The best to you and your wife, tomorrow, and always.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 12:30:58 PM »
We just had a young woman die last week of complications from gastric bypass.  Its really quite sad, she was trying to shed the weight.   My friend was checking into doing it and met with folks who'd had it done.  They effectively scared him away from it.  Its quite the lifestyle change even after the weight is dropped

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2004, 12:45:17 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
Chairboy, just one thing before you go for that Lapband surgury.

Did you check out "Cortaslim", I think its called. A capsule that is supposed to be effective in repressing the hormone associated to the stress syndrome related to hunger?

Chairboy,

Ok... stop this insane talk buddy.  Cortislim is a good product as well as some others.  btw... are you bound to a wheelchair?  is that why it's Chairboy?  If not, start moving your body.  Hell, I'll send you all the Taebo tapes you need if you get to the point where you can handle them.  The point is, you're gonna waste that money because you're not solving the problem, just dealing with a symptom.  Decreasing the size of your stomach,in this manner,  doesn't keep you from stretching it out again.  You're going to have to have the same willpower later and you'll save 18K. and not risk your life.

You can also go on "The Zone" diet.  My dad lost 100lbs on that in a year and swears by it.  My 83 yr old grandmother too.  Also an ex girlfriend.

Cortislim inhibits the chemical reaction that creates Cortisol that tells your body to eat and store fat.  basically, it will allow you to eat when you are truly hungry but NOT create the desire when you are stressed.

Excercise.  I sell infomercial products.  It is required, by law, to state that a person CANNOT lose weight in a healthy manner without proper diet and excercise.  There are no miracle cures.  You will need to have the same willpower later that it will take now.  Period.

When you talk about energy, here's something to think about.  The more you work your muscles, the more effecient they are in moving and using energy.  Not only does it take less energy to move a 150lb guy than it takes to move a 250 lb guy, but if the lighter guy has more effecient muscles, he is burning even less energy.  Also, different foods and combinations of foods in your stomach take different degrees of energy to process.  If you eat a lot of grains, you are pulling a huge amount of energy from other systems of your body to get that digested.  Think about it....  Grain has evolved to be very rot proof.  It has to survive, in the wet ground, through winter and intact, to be useful in the spring.  And what is your stomach?  It's a rot pot!  So your stomach has a problem processing grains so it pulls energy from other systems like... your brain (after a starchy meal we get tired  right?)  to be able to produce enough digestive fluids to take care of business... btw  your stomach is on a timetable to get food out of the stomach so that's why it does that ( about 3 hours).  Also, mixing proteins and carbs create another problem.....  it takes different digestive fluids to process these 2 foods.  and guess what....  they dont mix!  When your body is processing a protein and a carb at the same time... neither get processed properly (next time you do this, notice how much gas and bloating you experience).  Even the energy created by the processing of these 2 foods together isn't very usable...

there's a lot better (and safer) ways to do this buddy.  And in the long run....  it's gonna come down to less (and healthier) intake and excercise.

I've seen a lot of letters from people that not only are healthier, they are stronger willed people as well after conquring this my friend.  You and your wife can do it.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2004, 01:54:15 PM »
dam chariboy..bets of luk..thsi doesnt sound liek fun..
btw..i was listing to..that doctor on the radio...whats his name..ahh Dr Dean Addel?..

he was talkn about the ballons in the belly....some new stuff about them..they were filling them with water..really safe and all..

but..seems you are getting very desperate to go to  TJ...sounds a bit scary to me..

anyways...Bring back some Chiclets!!.:)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Lap band surgery
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »
Chairboy,

After reading this thread I am very concerned for you and your wife; good luck to you both.  My first concern is that a certain percentage of the population dies after undergoing any kind of surgery.  I would be especially concerned with infections and anesthesia.  Staff infections still occur in US hospitals and can be quite deadly.  Your anesthetist must be every bit as good as your doctor; I would check their record as well.    I’m no expert, but what mosgood wrote above sounds intriguing.  If you are not 100% committed I would look into that.  
When exactly are your surgeries, and when can we expect your return?

I will be thinking about you.
Once again, good luck.

eskimo

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 05:40:52 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
Chairboy, just one thing before you go for that Lapband surgury.

Did you check out "Cortaslim", I think its called. A capsule that is supposed to be effective in repressing the hormone associated to the stress syndrome related to hunger?

Hmmm... last month there was an article in Popular Science about all the "pseudo-science" being used for marketing. Cortaslim was one of the featured commercials. According to PS, the claims are specious.
sand

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 05:45:25 PM »
Opps...wrong thread.  Was a lil misleading though.

I envisioned Bands that play specifically for Lap Dances...:rofl

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
Lap band surgery
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2004, 08:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Hmmm... last month there was an article in Popular Science about all the "pseudo-science" being used for marketing. Cortaslim was one of the featured commercials. According to PS, the claims are specious.

All I can say is, don't believe everything you read.  I've seen a arthritis pain relief device that literally thousands of people benifited from, pulled off the air because the FDA got the "word" from lobbyists that it was NOT in their self interest.

You wouldn't believe the stuff that is kept from us.