Author Topic: Shadow bug  (Read 207 times)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Shadow bug
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:42:08 PM »
When a Panzer IV crests the top of a hill, its shadow follows only one ground plane and doesn't "wrap" over to the intersecting ground plane.  For instance, when climbing the hill where a base tower is located, the shadow will float in mid-air until the vehicle has crested the ridge and is sitting on the plataeu.  It is visible from the tank commander's position.

MiG

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
Shadow bug
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 04:05:18 PM »
I had a problem other day where i was chasing an La7 on the deck and we crested a hill, the shadow of the La7 went 1 way and the actual plane went another. It was actually kinda of funny, wish i had more time to watch where the shadow ended up.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Shadow bug
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 05:50:25 PM »
I had the same problem as MISFIT, chasing a P38 over the crest of the hill and his shadow lifted into the air.

Later on I was chasing a p51 through valley's as we approached a hill he had to climb over I closed to 400 and about to open fire. It disappeared I thought he'd booted and pulled up only to see him extended about a 1k away. A another guy behind me stated he had continual visual on him all the time.:confused:
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
Shadow bug
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 07:14:17 PM »

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
Shadow bug
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:47:39 PM »
Sad part was the shadow pulled better ACM then the actual target in front of me:D