Author Topic: SKINNERS: File Available (PHOTOSHOP) - Learning tool  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
SKINNERS: File Available (PHOTOSHOP) - Learning tool
« on: June 17, 2004, 03:56:27 AM »
Hey guys, I was just going to post a Photoshop file that you can  download of a 109f4 Fusealage. This is in a full view, before being cut-up and placed on the 1024x1024 map.

Basically, This is so you can get an ideal of how layering works, and all of the different things that go into making skins.

I heard from spork42 that this can be opened successfuly in GIMP, with al the layers and opacities coming out correct. The only thing is, is that I'm not sure if GIMP shows all the blending effects like Photoshop. These include, emboss, stroke, ect....

Anyway, Enjoy -
and good luck skinning.

pls dont ask for the wings...you guys can do that on your own after you learn :)
I'm placing this file up as a tool, not a coloring book :)
And I will probably only be hosting this file for 5-7 days, so get it quick. in ZIP format. If you download it, punt it up on the forum for others to see and download, so it doesn't get lost on page 3...lol

Thanks,

WAFFLE

109 ZIP file (10.2mb)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 04:44:50 AM by Waffle »

Offline wolf05

• Copper Member
      • http://jagd3udet.org
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:10:40 AM »
WAFFLE, I am interested in doing a few skins. I have Paintshop Pro 7, will this program work for such a venture?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:35:50 AM »
I believed I saved these with maximum compatiblilty on, so I think the will be backwards compatible with previous versions of photoshop

oops - I just saw you were using paintshop pro seven. I'm not sure, but you can try. Like I said, Spork42 opened it in Gimp.

Offline ridenlow

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/carolinabombers
I have paint shop pro 8!!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 02:39:59 PM »
Yes will paint shop pro 8 work good for making skins?

Offline wolf05

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 03:38:42 PM »
Well, I just downloaded the above skin, but PSP will not recognize the format. I would really like to get involved in this, as I am a graphic artist and have a wealth of aircraft books that have some great paint schemes from the many different squadrons from both the Axis and Allied sides of the war. Can anyone help me get started?<>
If so I'll set ya up with my sister, lol.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 04:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by wolf05
Well, I just downloaded the above skin, but PSP will not recognize the format.  

It's a .gif file ferchrisakes! :D

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 05:33:27 PM »
why not release the whole thing waffle?

id rather see a wide variety of quality skins than one kickass skin and a a few average ones. I have seen some amazing paint jobs that with the touches that this skin has added would send them off the charts in terms of quality.
and if people with the ability to make such things completely available in every way to the rest of the skinners its more beneficial than this do it yourself nonsense.

besides coloring books are fun and there is nothing wrong with making a skin template coloring book if others find enjoyment in using it. in fact it would be quite wrong to not do so if you have no interest in making more skins with the work you have done.

currently this skinning community is very small and you need to throw as much help out there in every way to get it rolling.

that means templates tutorials even full psd files.

people will see your methods use them and find their own methods as well.

the end result of a combined effort will exceed any single individual results by about 10 fold in terms of the benefit to the rest of the players.

i can see if you want to do like machnix and make a large variety of skins but if your just making 1 skin for a plane and thats it put the work or the template out there and people will use it then venture out and make their own as well.

either way its more beneficial to share the whole thing.

but perhaps capitalist habbits are to hard to break even when in a nonprofit hobby.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 06:01:28 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 05:46:35 PM »
but great info just the same.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 05:55:26 PM »
what is "gimp"?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 06:52:23 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
It's a .gif file ferchrisakes! :D

The file is at the end - blue text. "109.zip"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 06:57:39 PM »
Didja unzip it? :D

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 07:13:16 PM »
Originally posted by Citabria
why not release the whole thing waffle?

id rather see a wide variety of quality skins than one kickass skin and a a few average ones. I have seen some amazing paint jobs that with the touches that this skin has added would send them off the charts in terms of quality.
and if people with the ability to make such things completely available in every way to the rest of the skinners its more beneficial than this do it yourself nonsense.

besides coloring books are fun and there is nothing wrong with making a skin template coloring book if others find enjoyment in using it. in fact it would be quite wrong to not do so if you have no interest in making more skins with the work you have done.

currently this skinning community is very small and you need to throw as much help out there in every way to get it rolling.

that means templates tutorials even full psd files.

people will see your methods use them and find their own methods as well.

the end result of a combined effort will exceed any single individual results by about 10 fold in terms of the benefit to the rest of the players.

i can see if you want to do like machnix and make a large variety of skins but if your just making 1 skin for a plane and thats it put the work or the template out there and people will use it then venture out and make their own as well.

either way its more beneficial to share the whole thing.

but perhaps capitalist habbits are to hard to break even when in a nonprofit hobby.

Fester,

I think the only line you had right in there was "people will see your own methods, use them, and find thier own methods as well" - which Is why I posted the file.

I personally think people will get more benifit and enjoyment from something they completed wholly, just not changing a camoflague scheme.

It's the research that goes into making one that's enjoyable. Especialy if you have a love for the era's aircraft. And I believe most of the people here do.

And regarding the original post about "pls don't ask me for the wings" No further discussion about that.

But, I will try to answer any questions about techniques, ect... used on the 109.zip file
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 07:17:11 PM by Waffle »

Offline wolf05

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 08:11:28 PM »
When I unzipped the file, it was a format extension that was not a gif, but psd. My program would not even allow me to view it, or call it up to even convert the format. I am not new to such things!

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 08:11:29 PM »
how did you make the rain streaks layer?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 08:41:30 PM »
Wolf - you'll need Adobe photoshop to open it or GIMP. which I believe is a shareware program.

Fester - the streaks were done with motion blur filter
I used a variety of shades and opacities of whites / black/grays and rust browns. Then filtered it with motion blur at appropriate angles. You have to scatter the colors and placement abit before applying the filter.