Author Topic: US groups want Moore film banned  (Read 1073 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
US groups want Moore film banned
« on: June 18, 2004, 02:38:42 PM »
they haven't seen it, yet they want it banned?

C&P

US conservative groups have launched a campaign to have Michael Moore's "misleading and grotesque" film Fahrenheit 9/11 banned from cinemas.

The film alleges connections between President George Bush and top Saudi families, including the Bin Ladens.

Move America Forward has begun a letter-writing campaign, while Citizens United is making TV and internet adverts which criticise Moore.

The documentary film will be shown around the US from 25 June.

'Support'

Move America Forward members were behind a letter-writing campaign that led US channel CBS to drop TV movie The Reagans last November, claiming the film distorted history.

The group has received several thousand e-mails of support for its Fahrenheit 9/11 campaign, said executive director Siobhan Guiney, a former Republican Party lobbyist.

"Since we are the customers of the American movie theatres it is important for us to speak up loudly and tell the industry executives that we don't want this misleading and grotesque movie being shown at our local cinema," the group said on its website, listing contact details for various US cinemas.

Ms Guiney said: "(Moore) is critical of what's happening right now, and there's no problem with being critical - but his movie is not a documentary, it's a piece of propaganda."

Citizens United is headed by former Republican congressional aide David Bossie, who is also targeting George Soros, a billionaire who donated nearly $13m (£7m) to groups seeking to defeat President Bush.

Mr Bossie said: "Look, this guy (Moore) is simply producing and advertising this movie at this time to try to affect the election."

"It seems to be left to us to make sure that the media is educated, as well as the American people are educated, as to just what they're up to."

Despite the campaign by the two independent groups, US cinema chain Regal Entertainment Group said it intended to go ahead and screen the film as planned.

And US liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org has asked its supporters to write to cinemas on Move America Forward's list, urging them not to give in to pressure to block the film.

Fahrenheit 9/11's US distributor Lions Gate Films believes the plan to have the film banned will fail.

"My guess is that their efforts will backfire and only rally support for the film, which will be terrific as far as I'm concerned," said president Tom Ortenberg.

"We need less censorship in this country, not more."

Fahrenheit 9/11 won the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, and will be released in the UK on 9 July.

source

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »
sounds like the want a boycott. I don't think "Ban" is the right word here.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 02:47:39 PM »
But of course we all know it will be shown and will be available to those that choose to see it.

So what's the big deal?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »
F9/11 is probably the only movie of his I am interested in seeing.  While he still has the habit of asking people questions and then not showing their answers, the film looks interesting.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »
wonder if someone came out with a movie showing the evils of the kennedys starting back with ole joe and the mob and how his son stole the 1960 election and called it a "documentary", who would be trying out the boycotts then? would the french give it an award?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 03:12:06 PM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 02:56:49 PM »
I wonder if people that publicly announce that they want to boycott or ban a film/book realise it only makes it more popular? Many that had no intention of reading/watching those things will do so only to see what the big deal is.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 03:01:23 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
would the french give it an award?

FYI: Only 1 judge at Cannes was French...and 4 were American

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 03:04:59 PM »
Here is an example of what I was referring to.  As long as you keep in mind that this "documentary" has an agenda behind it, so be it.  I agree with SaburoS, this boycott group is going to have the opposite effect.

===========

In one clip, Moore accosts members of Congress, trying to enlist their support to get them to urge their sons and daughters to enlist in the Army and fight in Iraq. One clip from his film features Rep. Mark Kennedy, R-Minn., shooting Moore a strange, perhaps dismissive look after Moore asks him to do so.

Unfair Editing?

But Kennedy tells ABC News that Moore unfairly cut his response from the film.

"I have a nephew that has been called up as part of the Army Guard and he is waiting for orders," Kennedy said. "Originally he was told that he was likely going to Afghanistan. I have another nephew that just retired from Navy, and I have cousin who just returned from a trip to Iraq."

A transcript of the interview run by the Minneapolis Star-Tribune features Moore asking Kennedy to help urge his colleagues "to get their kids to enlist in the Army and go over to Iraq."

"I'd be happy to," Kennedy says."Especially those who voted for the war."

But Kennedy's response was cut from the film, perhaps creating the impression that Kennedy had no relatives involved in the armed forces nor did he think such tasks should be taken up by his relatives.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 03:10:16 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
FYI: Only 1 judge at Cannes was French...and 4 were American

looks like french to me:
http://www.cannes-fest.com/cine/films/fiche.php?id=585&PHPSESSID=8f83dcd8d341cf3d304fea0bc23d8e72
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline newtype

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 03:14:07 PM »
heh, typical censorship. They got nothing and they themselves have been led a fool. Moore knows what hes doing, its all propoganda.

Offline montag

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »
I agree.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 06:11:35 PM »
I'll wait till it comes out on video and the store has rented out all their copies of Waterworld and the Blair Witch Project. For the kind of entertainment this film promises, I need look no further than this BBS. :p

I'll see it eventually though. It looks interesting in a Viet-Nam era shockumentary kind of way.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 06:18:17 PM »
Anyone got the addy to whoever it is that needs support in banning Mullethead Moore?
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 06:22:36 PM »
Nothing says "God bless America" like good old fashioned censorship.
Kudos to those "Right Thinkers" for reminding me why I vote Democrat.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.