Author Topic: 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Breaks NYC Records!  (Read 1284 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
'Fahrenheit 9/11' Breaks NYC Records!
« on: June 25, 2004, 05:31:47 PM »
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Michael Moore's controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" turned on the box office heat in its first day in theaters breaking single-day records at the two New York City theaters where it played. The movie, which aims a critical eye at President Bush and his prosecution of the war in Iraq, sold $49,000 worth of tickets at the Loew's Village 7 theater, beating the venue's single-day record of $43,435 held by 1997's "Men in Black," according to distributors Lions Gate Films and IFC Films.

At the Lincoln Plaza theater, "Fahrenheit 9/11" took in more than $30,000 to top the $24,013 set by "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000.

A spokesman for Lions Gate Films said the company debuted the movie in the two theaters to help build good word-of-mouth -- friend telling friend -- publicity ahead of the wide debut on Friday when it plays in 868 theaters in all 50 states.

The film has caused a storm of controversy because director Moore, whose past work includes Oscar-winning documentary "Bowling for Columbine," makes a case that the Bush administration was determined to invade Iraq following the Sept. 11 attacks.

The movie links Bush family members and business associates with wealthy Saudi Arabian families, including that of Osama bin Laden, and Moore clearly wants to see the president fail to win reelection in this fall's presidential campaign.

Groups have organized support for and against the movie, and audiences appear to be keen to see it.

Online ticket service Fandango.com on Wednesday reported that "Fahrenheit 9/11" was making up 48 percent of advance ticket sales for the weekend ahead, compared to 11 percent for "Dodgeball" and 9 percent for next week's "Spider-Man 2."

Mike Moore: 1
Neocons: 0
:lol

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 05:40:26 PM »
Prepare for the NeoCon whine!:lol
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 05:44:55 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
Prepare for the NeoCon whine!:lol

You're kidding right. Throw your money away however you like, so long as you're not on welfare and buying a ticket with my money anyhow. Free country, no thanks to the likes of Moore.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 05:48:40 PM »
Two theaters, 8,000,000 New Yorkers.

Seemes reasonable those 2 theaters would be packed.

Just a guess, but I'd bet there were a few more screens where Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was showing.  Probably could have seen it at the East Orange New Jersey Cineplex.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 06:02:20 PM »
Fair point.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 06:19:11 PM »
That could be one of the most skewed articles I've ever read.

I live in NY.

Does anyone know where the Loews Village 7 is?

It's in the heart of Greenwich Village, the land that time forgot. You see, it's still 1969 in the Village. That is the epicenter of the un-employed "I'm a Poet/Citar player" community.

Of course the damn box office was jammed! They're all Tree-huggers and they're all unemployed in the Village.

Tell me how the flick did in Bensonhurst Brooklyn, or Ridgewood, Queens and we'll have a story.

Next thing you know, there will be a breaking story like this:

New Yorkers Overwhelmingly Support Gay Marriage.

90% of New Yorkers polled support Gay Marriage.
The entire poll was taken in Greenwich Village and coducted by the Village People.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 06:22:24 PM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
Does anyone know where the Loews Village 7 is?

Sure, been there lots.

It's in the heart of Greenwich Village, the land that time forgot. You see, it's still 1969 in the Village. That is the epicenter of the un-employed "I'm a Poet/Citar player" community.

You seriously live in NYC? Where exactly? Based on what yer saying, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 06:28:39 PM »
I live on Long Island. I never said I lived in the city. I used to work at 1 New York Plaza.

Spent alot of time in Little Italy growing up and know the city pretty well.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 06:32:21 PM »
Ah a Long Islander.

The villiage is not "stuck in the 60's".

Which begs the question.... what decade did you "[spend] alot of time in Little Italy growing up"? Maybe it's actually you that's stuck in the 60's perhaps? I dunno.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 06:39:06 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Ah a Long Islander.

The villiage is not "stuck in the 60's".

Which begs the question.... what decade did you "[spend] alot of time in Little Italy growing up"? Maybe it's actually you that's stuck in the 60's perhaps? I dunno.

You're right. You don't know.

Of course, I'm making jokes, but New York City, it is well known, leans well to the left, and the Village is EXTREMEMLY left.

And let's face facts, Nash. You don't see alot of Suit and Ties or Hardhats in the Village.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 06:42:16 PM »
Well.... you see hard hats damn near everywhere there... but....

Holden makes a rational (and good) rebuttle based on the number of theaters. That's cool.

You blame the hippies.

Do you mind if I ask your age?

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 06:52:07 PM »
The hippie thing is a joke and you know it.

And you also know the Village is in NOW WAY representative of New York, as this silly article would lead people to believe.

The Village is not even representative of New York City, much less the rest of the boroughs, Long ISland and upstate.

I'm done here.

Let the sillyness ensue.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 06:57:16 PM »
oooookay ciao.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 07:27:30 PM »
Beautiful Nash, just beautiful.  :aok

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 07:28:31 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Holden makes a rational (and good) rebuttle based on the number of theaters. That's cool.

I always make excellent points...  Always.

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!