Author Topic: Realism? Where did they go?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Realism? Where did they go?
« on: August 14, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
After months of reading suggestion after suggestion and complaint after complaint about an HA and HTC finally giving that faction what they wanted, I finally decided to check it out last night.

To my suprise, not a soul in the CA...just me....alone....confused and left with the inescapable thought that perhaps the interest is just not there?

Whats up?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
Need to replace MA with our HA to get numbers in there.

I think that's what the fanatical, border-line insane, realism crowd was pushing for. A fully 'historic' arena replacing the MA.

How else can you force everyone else to fly your way?   ;)
-SW

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Actually, the Realism Crowd is in the CA, but they are in boot camp.  In six weeks they will be flying Stearmans, then go on to AT6s.

:)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
SW, it would be nice to have at least one or two days (out of a week) or even a week (out of a month) where it's purely just the CT.  Although the current Norway/North Sea map is nice, it's a little large scale for a non-organised event - i.e. peeps who just login for the immediate bit of 'fun'.

Regards

Nexx

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Replicant ]
NEXX

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
At 7:00am PST, (when I get off work and log in) since it was introduced, 0 palyers were online.

The CT got to 40 players primetime at one point, but I think the hold up is, it IS a primetime arena, AND they are working out the rules to make it not only fun for the realism dietards, but the rest of us.

If they get the Britain map in, and a few other plane/strat/non-carrier changes, it should be a blast.

Just enough to take away numbers from the MA?

Maybe.

I think it has a shelf life of a tap beer, but we'll see.

I hope not.

---

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2001, 01:45:00 PM »
Replicant that might be nice for you but it would be terrible for most of us.

Hooligan

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2001, 01:50:00 PM »
In the Combat Arena forumn check out the topic Pyro started. New map and new plan pending today or the next evidently.

But you're right Rude. There were enough people asking for one still here from the last year or two to have that place running at just about any time of day.

If the changes Pyro makes draws the numbers back in but then it turns into a ghost town in a week (like now) it'll probably prove to be the death knell for that arena.

If the community ends up not supporting it by using it and making constructive suggestions for it's improvement then I think HTC will drop any efforts towards supporting it also.

Except for the recent lack of use it still looks to have had a decent enough of a start by way of player interest (at one point) and some really good discussions on how to make it broadly appealing in the CA forum.

Westy

p.s. I've been testing the DX8 version the past two times when online. Only enough diversity in graphic situations and fast enough action in the MA to make notes on what I see. It sucks to fly the DX8 version in the CA bny flying for 20-30 minutes only to get shot down fast over the North Sea  :)

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
I hate HA's for the most part and I would love to say I told ya so but....

the real truth is.. people go where the numbers are and to where they are used to.   And.. While I believe that the vast majority of players in AH like the current  MA better than they would like an HA...  

If you were to have an HA (CA, whatever) only arena with no MA to go to for several months... Then, when you did open up the MA again it would be hard at first to get people into it.

My suggestion for those who like axis vs allied is... If you are happy with the occasional scenario, stick with AH.  If that isn't enough dreary axis vs allied for you then WB is probly your salvation.
lazs

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
S!

Like I said in my previous post, the CA needs certain things to survive.

Right now it seems that Pyro and HTC are trying to address those issues.

I think you need to give the Arena until at least after 1.08 is introduced to succeed.

It needs Trains, convoys, and modified Task forces.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Apparently, there will be an RPS in the CA (look for funkedup's post):
 http://www.hitechcreations.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=000005

Seems like a good idea.  Might attract some early war fans for a while...eh, lazs?

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: popeye ]
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by lazs1:
I hate HA's for the most part and I would love to say I told ya so but....

the real truth is.. people go where the numbers are and to where they are used to.   And.. While I believe that the vast majority of players in AH like the current  MA better than they would like an HA...  

If you were to have an HA (CA, whatever) only arena with no MA to go to for several months... Then, when you did open up the MA again it would be hard at first to get people into it.

My suggestion for those who like axis vs allied is... If you are happy with the occasional scenario, stick with AH.  If that isn't enough dreary axis vs allied for you then WB is probly your salvation.
lazs

Ditto. The grass is always greener on the other side syndrom.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
I've flown there exclusively since it was opened.

AKDejaVu

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2001, 03:16:00 PM »
To this subject I will only add this... Aces High is a online multiplayer sim... if I wanted to play single player, I'd choose a boxed sim. During the times there were decent #'s in that CA, that MA was down to about 55 or so... and anything below 70 can get a bit lonely in my opinion. I think the 'idea' of the CA is great... I just worry if we have enough pilots to support it.

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
Simple fix..... just lower the subscribtion rate for HA flyers.

;p

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
oh look.. the grass is greener over there .... uh, maybe it isn't..

I'd fly there more as the dar/icon change is for the better. BUT, you have to have a good deal of time to kill to find a fight when there are 20 ppl in there let alone half a dozen or less.. Map currently too big for # of hardcore currently utilizing the arena. I check it everytime I go online but need higher numbers to justify the time, I enjoy flying but enjoy dying/killing more  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals