Author Topic: USA copying the Russians?  (Read 748 times)

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
USA copying the Russians?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 11:49:41 PM »
Originally posted by hawker238
Actually, could someone explain how it works?

Drag

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2004, 12:47:26 AM »
Originally posted by hawker238
Actually, could someone explain how it works?

the bomb or the fins?

the bomb (I think) is a fuel air bomb.....if its anything like the "daisy cutter"  it disperses a flamable source into the air on its way down creating a cloud.  Before it hits it ignites this flamable source wich burns EXTREMLY quick.  The souce burns up the O2 in the air at such a quick rate that it creats an instant vacume.  The rushing air to fill the vacume helps create the explosion.....that's the best I can describe a fuel air bomb.

The fins just look like a mix of guidence/stabalization/drag fins.  They creat drag while at the same time guiding the bomb

I'm just guessing here but that all seems logical.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 04:55:19 AM »
Such wings are used in Soyuz emergency rescue system. They look like "windows" on top of the launch vehicle. When the capsule separates from the rocket by emergency engine they spread 90 degrees from the capsule and it glides on them.

What I meant was that this system was used at least twice, once when the rocket blew up on a launch table, and another when something was wrong with second stage. Both times crew survived. It happened in early-80s.

http://www.federalspace.ru/PictFiles/bigPicts/230402-1-21.jpg

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2004, 07:49:46 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
the bomb or the fins?

the bomb (I think) is a fuel air bomb.....if its anything like the "daisy cutter"  it disperses a flamable source into the air on its way down creating a cloud.  Before it hits it ignites this flamable source wich burns EXTREMLY quick.  The souce burns up the O2 in the air at such a quick rate that it creats an instant vacume.  The rushing air to fill the vacume helps create the explosion.....that's the best I can describe a fuel air bomb.

Isn't that an implosion?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 08:45:02 AM »
USA has had fin technology since at least the 50's

Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2004, 11:28:54 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Are you talking about the annual Russian live action ejection seat demonstations at major international air shows?

LMAO!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2004, 12:37:04 PM »
The russians have some technology that the US would do anything to get.  For example, the Shkval torpedo system.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/row/shkval.htm

It's a torpedo that travels at over 200 knots.  4 times faster then the fearsome MK-48 that US subs are most likely to use.  

The original deployment in the 90s assumed a nuclear warhead.  One of these torpedos could be fired into a carrier group and take it out without any countermeasures.  The original Shkval wasn't homing, so no countermeasures could trick it, and no torpedo could catch it.

The new generation is supposed to be able to scream into the firing area, leave supercavitation mode and use conventional seeking modes to acquire a target, then boost to full speed again.  This allows them to use conventional warheads and increases their danger even more because 1. They'll hit their target and 2. they're more likely to be used.

So...  whatever the history of the guidance fins mentioned earlier in this thread, don't assume that we automatically do everything better.  That's a dangerous attitude that will lead to underestimating potential advesaries.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis