Author Topic: Aluminum Skin. Need Opinions...  (Read 841 times)

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Aluminum Skin. Need Opinions...
« on: July 05, 2004, 02:45:25 AM »
These are some photos of a P-51D with an aluminum skin.  I'd really appreciate any hints folks could give me.  One issue I'm having now is the gradient I've used is rather dark so long as the skin isn't in sunlight.  When the skin goes to sunlight though it looks fine in my opinion.  I just don't know what to do to fix it.  Here they are.

The panel lines and rivets don't a transparency adjustment yet.  I'm just trying to get the aluminum skin correct then I will press on with the rivet adjustments, weathering, details and in the end a new skin to go with the new templates I've been making.

Offline Flak40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 02:58:01 AM »
Looks good.. I wouldn't change much as far as the gradient goes. I'm eager to see the finished product..

-Flak40

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 03:05:25 AM »
Here's an example of what it'll do when not in the sunlight.  Not sure what to do to fix it either.

Offline Flak40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 03:08:01 AM »
I still think it looks ok.. probably won't be able to do much except video card gamma adjustment anyway..

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 03:15:47 AM »
cc... I might try to do a selection on the bottom portions of the lower wing and lower fuselage and try to lighten them up a bit and see if that helps.  It's the first time I've done a skin so I'm still working on learning the little tricks of the trade.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 06:25:40 AM »
Thats a great skin, really like it. Nice aluminum is a good change, I'd sure as hell fly it. :D

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Update aluminum Skin with Test Paint Surface
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 07:17:52 PM »
Okay I've worked out some of the kinks.  But certain things just aren't able to be done with the current skin layout.  Here's a test setup I've done with the skin Big Beautiful Doll.  No weathering as of yet.  I haven't done any panel adustments either for commonly used panels.

Due to the way the skin is done I can't do a perfect checker board setup on this plane.  I doubt I'll be able to do the Big Beautiful Doll script on the side.  Earlier tests showed it's just going to mirror and reverse the insignia.