Author Topic: AH2 Film Viewer causing Cache issue?  (Read 508 times)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
AH2 Film Viewer causing Cache issue?
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:54:04 PM »
Ok something happened yesterday and today. It took a few times to link the problem but i have found something interesting.
Lets say i am in game and playing. No setting changes what so ever.
Now i go out of AH2 and open the film viewer, click file/open select the film to be viewed. Watch the film and then close the Film Viewer. Now when i try to start AH2 The Loading Cache dialog box appeares. The one that says "This only happens the first time you run this version or change certian video settings."
I can duplicate everytime.
Should this be? If not i hope it helps sort out some more issues. regards.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »
Yup had same problem couple of days ago.
Watching a film in AH2 viewer and closed the viewer down while film was running.
When i restarted AH2 it forced me into the loading cache routine again.

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:11:15 PM »
Yup, I'll back you guys up on that one... Its definitely a problem on my machine.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 10:38:57 PM »
Same here - just curious - is the film viewer running in a different resolution than AH?

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 11:04:42 PM »
I have this prob too. at first I thought it was because someone sent me a film and THEIR setting were different then I noticed it on MY films.

Also, why isnt there an option on the clipboard to watch films like there was in AH1?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 11:08:10 PM by WilldCrd »
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Ditto
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 08:44:29 AM »
Same thing happened, was in AHII, actually alt tabbed out, went and watched a film with film viewer, alt tabbed back in and the bottom half of my screen was BLACK , and the planes were invisible.

exited out, and on restart, it reloaded all textures  again as if I had changed my video settings.

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 09:05:31 AM »
same thing here - i.e. after viewing a film it recached

Acetnt

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 04:14:53 PM »
One would asume that somehow the Film Viewer is sharing the settings folder from AH2 directory. But this seems weird.
Perhapes the Film viewer is changing your video card settings?
One would certianly hope not. Oh well...more testing will have to be conducted.
(Added)
New findings. I dont even have to "View a film" The simple act of opening the film viewer and closing it. Causes the Re-Cache
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 06:21:33 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 10:48:20 PM »
Man, I thought I was going crazy at first - then came to the same result you gents did. Film Viewer was causing recacheing....

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 05:39:53 AM »
Same here.
Moreover in recorded movies only default skin is shown.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by 13Promet
Same here.
Moreover in recorded movies only default skin is shown.

This would seem like the right way to go. ie keep everything generic in the viewer. Wonder if the viewer is reverting the Cashe back to the default in the AH2 settings/whatever folder? Then when the game is started its sees a change?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 01:29:12 PM »
Of course if somebody keeps recording films and viewing them, it would mean the cache keeps getting deleted forcing them to regenerate it every time they play.
So every time they play they keep getting the stutters of the cache rebuilding whenever it meets a new model again.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 03:47:13 PM »
The film viewer sucks all the Cashe outa you Cashe folder everytime you start the film viewer.
Here are the views of my cashe properties before and after the film viewer is opened.
Before

After

Obviously the Airplane skins load as encountered. I still believe that this is one of the main culprits behind the stutter bug. The reasons behind the "Load textures on demand" im sure are plenty. One obvious reason is that when new skins are added it is easier to upload as you go than it is to make a new patch every time someone gets a skin approved. Also the initial download of AH2 is smaller=less bandwidth=less cost to HTC? Makes sense to me. But may not actually be the case for them. But i think something is out of kilter causing the Skin/texture cashing not to work smoothly.
Some have commented that maybe the skins should be a permanent part of the file download process. But i haven’t seen info from HTC as to why the "Load on demand" is the best option. But i think we might be finding out why it isn’t.
:aok  All the same i wish HTC good luck and a speedy resolve to the performance issues.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 07:35:44 PM »
hey mugzeee, think your onto something there it seems the film veiwer dumps your cache
also look at your before size and then look at my cache folder size

Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!