Author Topic: Potential Warbird Owners  (Read 393 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« on: July 11, 2004, 02:23:16 PM »
I know there are a few of you out there who have expressed interest in owning a warbird.  I've been put in a great position to help you aquire one.  I've been flying with the owner of a pair of beautiful Focke Wulf 149-D fighter trainers.  They are fully aerobatic, 4 place airplanes with better than 350HP Engines.  +6/-3G's certified.  These are the two nicest Focke Wulf's in the world, each has undergone a year long restoration to showplane condition, and the #1 airplane has won every show it has entered.

The #2 airplane is currently having a new (300 hour) engine installed and is the second nicest FW-149D in the world.

#1 is painted in a Blue/Gray/White camoflauge scheme with a snarling Wolf noseart and is in slightly better condition than the other one.

#2 is painted in Camoflauge with yellow stripes on the wingtips/tail.

Here is a picture of the #2 airplane with Pitts1c (Squaddie, IA)

Each airplane has removable seat cushions so all four people can wear parachutes and experience aerobatics.  I met the owner through my work (with a squadronmate) as an A&P apprentice when we were annualed the airplane and installed a new and bigger Carb.  I know the airplane well and fly it 10 hours a week.  If I had the money...I'd be picking this one up.  Its a tricycle gear airplane, very docile flying characteristics in all ranges of the flight envelope.  The airplane is based on a grass field but I have flown it off of pavement and thats when you really feel the kick in the pants.  These airplanes have the fastest landing gear in the world, from flipping the switch to having them up or down takes less than 2 seconds.  Its really incredible to see on jacks and even more extraordinary to feel how fast they are in flight.

The #1 airplane is ready to fly out of the hangar and the owner is ready to sell it to move up to something along the lines of a T-28 or P-51 Mustang.  With the sale of the airplane, I have volunteered my time to train the owner to a high level of safety and comfort and familiarize them with all the systems and fly with them until they are comfortable.  Owner would like to get $225,000 and has around $250,000 invested.

The #2 airplane would sell for less because it is not the 'show' plane of the two but flys just as well as the #1.  We're talking $180K.

I will see to posting some photos as a followup or will send them in an email.

Any of you pilots out there interested in a realistic and insurable warbird (a low wing, tricycle gear airplane.  It flys nicer than a Piper Arrow or Saratoga) with excellent feel and very well balanced controls get in contact with me here or post on the board and I will contact you.  Because this is the first place I thought to ask (I have yet to pick up a phone).  I would be more than happy to be a partner in one of these airplanes...I can't take one on by myself and I have been offered a price that is better than a steal...its a gift.  Keep in mind...you can have these airplanes for the price of a newly outfitted 172SP...and go upside down.

George 'Golfer'

added picture of #2
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:35:17 PM by Golfer »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 03:52:55 PM »
would you take 250 postdated personal checks? ;)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 04:32:52 PM »
It's amazing how close they resemble North American Navions.
Good looking birds :)
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 05:03:13 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
It's amazing how close they resemble North American Navions.
Good looking birds :)

it really is a nice looking plane

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 05:46:37 PM »
Nice planes. Now if I can only manage to win the lottery i the next few days you'll have a buyer LOL

Reading this post gave me a thought.

Why hasnt someone thought about reproducing full scale WWII warbird replicas and putting them up for sale on the open market?
After all we seem to have companies who make repros of just about everything else
Why not planes?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 05:59:29 PM »
They actually make ULM and VLA versions of several warbirds. I wouldn't fly them though. While they are approved for aerobatics by the manufacturer, the reliability factor is just average.

Here in Spain, the "affordable" aerobatic-warbird type plane of choice is the Yak 55.

Daniel

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
I mentioned the navion thing when I first mentioned it...and the guy bit my head off.  This airplane is really well built and was made to ease the transition of luftwaffe pilots into jets from basic trainers.

Maybe Hitech will buy a company plane :)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Potential Warbird Owners
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 08:36:16 AM »