Author Topic: First pass speed of sound  (Read 1843 times)

Offline BigB717

• Copper Member
      • http://members.rogers.com/15jg52/
First pass speed of sound
« on: July 11, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
hey guys , a while back i was reading a post about somthing but as i looked through the other replies from others, someone had started a conversation about who truley was the first to pass the speed of sound.... There was a post with a link ...this link was to the man who truley was the frist to reach the speed of sound, other then "Chuck Yeager", does anyone know of this link or some info on what i am talking about???

i think it was the f-86 !?

it was some time ago..... i dont remember the guys name

all help appreciated :cool: thanks:aok

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 03:45:53 PM »
George Welch in an F-86.

The leather panties boys will tell you that Me-262's broke the sound barrier routinely.

ra

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 04:15:54 PM »
Originally posted by ra
George Welch in an F-86.

The leather panties boys will tell you that Me-262's broke the sound barrier routinely.

ra

Yeah, they did.  Of course, that was right before it hit the ground.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 04:48:17 PM »
Originally posted by Mathman
Yeah, they did.  Of course, that was right before it hit the ground.

yup :aok
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 04:50:03 PM »
All I know for sure is that it was NOT in a 262.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 06:48:09 PM »
Originally posted by SirLoin

if it wasnt for the war, and all the allied bombing, im sure a german plane, probably a later model Me262 would have broke the sound barrier, BUT, germany lost the war.......and well its history now :)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 11:03:33 PM »
George S. Welch, North American Aviation test pilot and 16 kill ace pushed the XP-86 beyond Mach 1 in a dive on October 1, 1947. He repeated this on October 14, just 30 minutes before Yeager piloted the XS-1 through Mach 1 in level flight (of course, the XS-1 needed to be hauled to altitude under a B-29 and was rocket powered). Not only did Welch and the XP-86 do it first, but Welch did so on the plane's maiden flight! Welch was also the first man to exceed Mach 1 in level flight flying an air-breathing aircraft, the YF-100 Super Sabre (there was no XF-100), and did that on its first flight too.

Here's a profile of the XP-86.

To read about Welch, go toThe Amazing George Welch

This article was reprinted in this months addition of the CAF's First Observation Detachment newsletter.

For the whole, almost unbelievable story of the race for Mach 1, pick up a copy of Al Blackburn's ground breaking book, Aces Wild. Al was also an NAA test pilot and flew with or personally knew all of the characters, including Welch and Yeager.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 10:30:55 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 04:11:54 AM »

Kwel, how do you know that?

Here you go, interesting read.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 06:22:05 AM »
That link has already been posted Wilbus....It's an interesting read but I don't believe it.

The 262's wing was much too thick for supersonic flight...more likely a 163 could have done it if it had more fuel to burn.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 06:41:08 AM »
mach 0.92 seems to be the max in AHII for all jet/rocket planes :(

lol:lol

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 06:46:31 AM »

Well, you can't know it for sure, noone really can actually. Kind of a silly comment...

The wing too thick, not sure about that, if you've read the intire post under the link I posted (believe I posted it last time too) he describes pretty much every thing that happens before super sonic flight, he then describes what happens (and happened to Chuck Yeager) right after Mach 1 was passed. The 262 pilto experienced alot of buffeting and shaking, enough shaking to destroy the plane, he survived only because the he stayed in the trans sonic region for a very very short time and thus gave the plane little time to shake and brake apart.

Believe it or not is up to you, but you can never be "sure" that is wasn't the 262.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 10:27:55 AM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Well, you can't know it for sure, noone really can actually. Kind of a silly comment...

The wing too thick, not sure about that, if you've read the intire post under the link I posted (believe I posted it last time too) he describes pretty much every thing that happens before super sonic flight, he then describes what happens (and happened to Chuck Yeager) right after Mach 1 was passed. The 262 pilto experienced alot of buffeting and shaking, enough shaking to destroy the plane, he survived only because the he stayed in the trans sonic region for a very very short time and thus gave the plane little time to shake and brake apart.

Believe it or not is up to you, but you can never be "sure" that is wasn't the 262.

I know this; the critical Mach of the Me 262 was Mach 0.85, at Mach 0.87 aero stresses would rapidly damage and eventually destroy the aircraft. Even the F-80 with its thinner section laminar flow wing was limited to an absolute max of Mach 0.88. Drop testing of wind tunnel models of the F-80 established that the terminal velocity was 0.94 Mach, a speed that would have ripped off the wings of an actual Shooting Star. Neither the Me 262 or Me 163 could approach the speed of sound. No first generation jet fighter could.

NACA's Walter Williams reviewed captured German flight test data that established the maximum speed attainable without loss of control was Mach 0.82 for the Me 163, and Mach 0.85 for the Me 262. Buffeting is NOT and indicator of transonic flight. Airspeed indicators of the time were wildly inaccurate when localized transonic airflow would form shock waves ahead of the pitot tube. The fact that Hans Guido Mutke believes he went supersonic only adds his name to the many hundreds of pilots who made the same claim during WWII. The fact remains that the 262 was not physically capable of speeds beyond 0.87 Mach.

So, I am absolutely SURE that no Me 262 ever even came close to Mach one.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 12:11:27 PM »
I am taking it that Yeager's flight was fully documented and was there for the "offical" breaking of the barrier?

If the F86 did so before hand, it must not have been documented and is based on a pilot report?  

I guess this doesnt make much sense to credit Yeager for being the first,  if many guys did it before him.  I hope Widewing can pipe in here with a bit of an explanation.    :)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 12:49:48 PM »
Apparently the reports of Welch breaking the sound barrier were from observers on the ground that heard the loud "explosion" that turned out to be a sonic boom.  

MiG

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2004, 01:41:28 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
I am taking it that Yeager's flight was fully documented and was there for the "offical" breaking of the barrier?

If the F86 did so before hand, it must not have been documented and is based on a pilot report?  

I guess this doesnt make much sense to credit Yeager for being the first,  if many guys did it before him.  I hope Widewing can pipe in here with a bit of an explanation.    :)

If someone were up on murder charges facing the weight of evidence equal to that supporting Welch as being first, they would almost certainly be convicted.

You be the judge.

Motive: Welch clearly demonstrated a desire to push the Sabre through Mach 1. His discussions with the design engineers at North American and with his friends and family are proof positive of this.

Opportunity: Welch had two opportunities to dive the XP-86 prior to Yeager’s record flight.

Weapon: There can be no doubt that the XP-86 could exceed Mach 1 in a dive. This was officially established on November 13, 1947. There were no changes made to the aircraft that could improve performance between October 1 and November 13. So, there is NO DOUBT that the XP-86 was capable of supersonic flight from day one.

Witnesses: There were hundreds, if not thousands of people who felt and heard the two sonic booms of October 1 and 14. Some have since testified to hearing the booms. In addition, we have the testimony of those who spoke with Welch where he admitted to making unauthorized supersonic dives.

Additional evidence: Welch’s flight logbook contains entries for all supersonic flights, including those not authorized. "Mach Jump": Welch was the first to report this phenomenon. No one had observed "Mach Jump" prior to the flight. Yet, today it is considered as decisive evidence of supersonic flight (according to several scientists at Dryden).

Summation: Welch announced his intention to dive the XP-86 through the sound barrier. Welch had at least two opportunities to do so. Welch was flying an airplane that was easily capable of exceeding Mach 1 in a dive. Chase pilot Bob Chilton had his P-82 pounded by a sonic boom while waiting for Welch (Chilton was orbiting below). Welch told several credible people that he had flown through the sonic barrier. There were hundreds of witnesses, including one Major General and other high ranking military and civilian personnel who heard and felt the sonic booms. Welch witnesses a phenomenon that only someone who had exceeded Mach 1 would see. He reported it before any other pilot, he could not simply invent an unanticipated dynamic behavior. Welch's logbook lists the two flights as high Mach (the same terms used for the official speed runs) for October 1, and 14. Secretary of the USAF Symington discussed Welch's unauthorized supersonic excursions with NAA's Kindelburger (documented in Kindelburger's personal papers). Symington was very concerned that the XP-86 had upstaged the very expensive XS-1 program. He had been informed of Welch's flight by several sources, including Larry Bell. At Muroc, it was common knowledge that the XP-86 had already eased past Mach 1.

Official speed runs were conducted by NAA with NACA in November of '47 (about a month after Yeager's "official" run) and officially established that the XP-86 was able to exceed Mach 1 in a dive (with full control, mind you).

In my opinion, the evidence is overwhelming that Welch and the XP-86 were the first.

By the way, Geoffrey de Havilland was killed on September 27, 1946 when his DH.108 Swallow came apart at Mach 0.88 due to excessive pitch control while trying to recover from a dive passing 8,000 feet. John Derry, flying a much modified DH.108 did manage to exceed Mach 1 on September 6, 1948 during a dive from 45,000 feet. Unlike the Sabre, the DH.108 was completely out of control and Derry was fortunate to survive. Derry was the first Brit to exceed Mach 1 in a British built aircraft. However, Brit test pilot Roland Beaumont was the first Brit to fly faster than the speed of sound.... He was also flying the XP-86 at Muroc (now Edwards AFB). That event happened on May 21, 1948.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing