Author Topic: calibrating bombsite  (Read 969 times)

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« on: July 12, 2004, 02:36:05 PM »
Folks,

I am trying to figure out how to use the bombsite correctly, but I seem to be doing something wrong.  

First, when you're suppose to pick a point on the ground with the cross-hair and hold the "Y" key, but I'm having trouble getting the cross-hair to stay on the point. When I move my joystick to compensate for movement, I can't keep the cross-hair on the point. Is there a trick to this?

Are you suppose to click on the map before or after hitting "U" once you've finished with the cross-hair setting?

Thanks

63tb

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 03:02:17 PM »
Search "New bombing explained" by Kweeasa (I bet I butchered his name!!). The gold standard for bomb site calibration. I didn't know how to get the URL or I would have.
Peace
Pillur

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 03:06:34 PM »
One important factor, whether you are level bombing at 10k or 20k (doesn't matter). You must zoom all the way in when looking through the bombers sight to calibrate on whatever object you are trying to remain steady on. The Zoom keys when in the scope are the same when you are zoomed looking through your gunner sight in a fighter - i.e. "[" and "]"  keys. This makes for the most accurate calibration possible (assuming you are level and constant speed with bomb bay doors already opened in bomber).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 06:45:58 PM by Hyrax81st »

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 06:25:31 PM »

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Re: calibrating bombsite
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 07:16:51 PM »
Originally posted by 63tb

Are you suppose to click on the map before or after hitting "U" once you've finished with the cross-hair setting?

Do this before you mark a point.  Click 'U', then click on the map.  You can click 'u' again if you want, the target alt will stay as is.  Marking the target alt can be done long before you approach the target  to minimize workload over target.

I can't keep the cross-hair on the point. Is there a trick to this?

Practice.  Hit U and push the crosshairs far forward.  Practice holding 1 position steady before you hit and hold 'Y'.   Choose a small target like an Ack circle to calibrate on.  It will help you focus on keeping the crosshairs on 1 point.  Hold this point (and the 'Y' key) for a slow 10 count and you will be very accurate; assuming you dont change speed again after you calibrate.  Make sure you are at a constant speed BEFORE you calibrate.

JG11

Vater

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 07:44:16 PM »
THANKS!

I'll give it a try.

63tb

Oh, one more question. I notice when I go to a gunner position and track the gun, the plane moves too. I thought when you went to a gunner position the plane went into auto-pilot and stayed on course. Do you have to set something manually first?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 07:47:12 PM by 63tb »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 08:08:13 PM »
edit... link is bad nm...
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 08:59:49 PM »
The rudders are still effective when in a gunner position, thus maybe that's how you are turning.

A suggestion for practicing calibration, you don't actually have to drop a bomb to see how well you calibrated offline.  Go offline, choose "setup", "arena setup", "environment", "arena settings" and select "flightmodeflags".  Press Change and then turn on the "divebomb sight".  That is the little green + sign you see on the ground and it works like a constant computing bomb-impact point.  Then, fly your bomber, and calibrate.  If you are doing it correctly then the green + and the + from your bombsight crosshairs should line up after you've calibrated.  You can practice over and over this way, just seeing how close the two match up, until you get the hang of it.  This way, you can calibrate a dozen times in a row and in a single evening probably have the hang of it.

One other tip, you can use the wind to improve your climb-rate (so you need not wait a long time to climb to a practice altitude).  Climb in your aircraft, and take-off, level out and get to about 200mph.  Then, open up the settings, look for the "Wind" (again under arena settings) and set the "vertical" wind component to max (127)... that puts a 127mph updraft under you and zips you right up to altitiude.  Then, press "no Wind" to turn it off so you can get to speed and practice.

A couple of caveats, the green + will show the impact point so undulating terrain at a different altitude than where you calibrated (selected your target) will not match up.  Easiest way to ensure it matches is to select something at sea-level along a shoreline and then calibrate near shore.  Secondly, you can't use your normal "level auto-pilot" if you are using the wind trick, you need to use "Auto-level" (SHIFT-X) as that will not try and maintain constant altitiude.  normal autopilot will try and dive to compensate for the updraft.

Hope that helps.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 09:22:13 PM »
ok found it.  

Bombing 101
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 09:46:59 PM »
Once again,  THANKS!

63tb

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 03:23:42 AM »
Originally posted by Soda

Hope that helps.

Man....

GREAT tips, Soda.... thanks very much !

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 12:02:06 PM »
Soda,

Thanks on the tip about the rudder. I think I know what I'm doing now. I have a Logitech stick where you move the rudder by twisting the stick.  I must be accidentally twisting as I track the guns. Is there a way to prevent this or do I just have to be careful?

63tb

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 01:28:15 PM »
just  be carefull
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 01:41:06 PM »
You're welcome guys.

I wouldn't change your rudder settings, they are useful at times the way they are.  You could increase your deadband to take out any accidental movement but that would decrease the sensitivity to small inputs you might want.  just be aware of when you are doing it.  Rudder control is also very useful in ground vehicles, another reason not to dampen it out.  Some bombers can also use the rudder to induce a turn and thus allow them to depress their guns against lower targets.

There are a bunch of other little tips to consider:
- your bombdoor cost you about 10mph open so don't calibrate with them closed and then leave them open for a long time before you drop, that will throw off your bombs.  Instead, calibrate with them open OR better yet, only snap the doors open the second before you drop and then close again.  The brief instant they are open (up to a couple of seconds) doesn't cost you enough speed to worry about.
- you only have to calibrate/bomb at the same speed, it doesn't have to be TOP speed.  you can use the E6B to check your speed when you calibrate and when you drop (in AH1 you had to "guesstimate") so you know you are on speed.
- the Wind layer offers a whole bunch of other challenges but I haven't seen it turned on in AH2 yet.  I tend to always try and bomb below it so it isn't an issue (usually 16K and up is the wind layer).
- if you are trying to get a fix on your target outside your bombsight (ie, line up a bit), use the nose gun and zoom.  that can help you adjust your bombing line a bit while still a ways out.

I'm sure I have a dozen or more other tips/tricks.  Bombing is not really all that daunting once you get the hang of it.  There are lots of guys who can pick off ack from 20K with 100lb'rs.

Offline tce2506

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »
How do you manage to line up on an approach to be able to hit ack? I'm lucky if I end up over a hanger, let alone ack or fuel!