Author Topic: calibrating bombsite  (Read 968 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 03:37:17 PM »
what I do on my bomb run is once I'm in the gunsight you can "look up"  ie, hit the 5 key on the numpad then pgup to raise your view.  I line up the top of the gunsight with more less the area of my target I want to hit.  Once over target with a calibrated site you can use stick inputs to make fine course corrections to hit what you need to hit, but you have to keep an eye on your speed, your current alt needs to equal your target alt for the bomb to fall true and manuvering on your part can upset this.  

If your alt is increasing it means your plane is accelerating and your bombs will fall long, decrease means you're losing speed and bombs will fall short.  A good accurate calibration coupled with maintaining alt is really all it takes to hit what your aming for.  Asuming wind isn't a factor, etc.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 03:39:26 PM »
tce2506 -

Hanger! I'm happy if the bombs hit the ground! :)

Also, when in the bombsite, do rudder inputs work? I just wanted to know if I have to be careful I don't twist the stick like when I use the guns.

63tb
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 03:42:42 PM by 63tb »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 04:06:52 PM »
I don't recall off hand, I really don't bomb too much, but I'm gonna venture a guess and say no, the X axis on the joystick controls movement left and right when in the bombsight.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline tce2506

• Copper Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2004, 06:48:24 AM »
Great tips guys, Thanks for all the help! Now if I could just find the button for the GPS smart bomb bombsite!!

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2004, 11:18:37 AM »
tce,
  It's all just in practice and not rushing yourself.  Take off away from the target area, climb and speed up, then turn in and calibrate... that way all you have to do over the target is man the guns (maybe) and release the bombs.  I generally try and make my run from 1 sector away, dashing in at speed already and giving the defenders the least time to get up to respond.  If you turn in while still climbing then you are slow and rushed, defenders have an easier time taking you out.

There are lots of guys who bomb as if they had GPS... generally it isn't required though.  Close is often good enough.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2004, 05:19:45 PM »
The original picture material of my post has long since gone and I must apologize for that. However, the text contained there should prove of some use.

Also, here is a general primer of what I've learned about bombing these past years:

1. Planning the Flight Path

The most important thing about bombing is planning your path. We're talking about bombing stuff the right way, making significant results, and returning home intact here - not the dweebery of deck run buffs or divebombing level buffs on CV runs.

While enemy presence is always to be expected, it is safe to say a bomb run which has enemy fighters within 5 mile radius, when you are about to bomb something, is basically a failed one.

Thus, the most important part of bombing comes before even taking off. Studying the radar, analyzing the strategic/tactical condition of the target area, and determining a safe flight path and altitude for the job.

And when all of that fails and you still get enemy fighters attacking you, is where gunners and defensive fire comes in - it a last resort at best.

2. Selecting Altitude and Approach

Generally, in a "hot spot" where lot of enemy activity is expected, you would need to consider an altitude of somewhere between 15~25k.

Also, the flight path would have to avoid as much enemy dar contact as possible(consult your clipboard map for the radar range circles), and would need to stay out of "enemy trail" - the air path where enemy fighters are expected to travel.

You would need altitude, and approach from a direction which the enemy activity would be slim.

In more benevolent situations anything between 8k~15k is useful. Particularly the "golden altitude" for knocking CVs is between 10 and 12k. Anything higher than that, takes much too long for the released bombs to reach ground level and detonate - which means the CV can move out of the way with ease.

3. Marking Process

When it comes to actual bombing, the single most important factor in bombing, is stabilizing your speed. The bomb sight we have is a simplified version of actual WW2 sight, but the basic concepts are simular.

The "marking process" of pressing the "Y" key down, is actually measuring your speed of travel. It determines when a bomb must be released in advance, to hit a target at ground. The information gathered during the marking process will be computed, and when calibration process is over it sets the sights.

Thus, it is absolutely important, that your speed does not change during the course of travel since you've calibrated - meaning: if you've calibrated your sights while your bomber was travelling at 220mph, if the speed increases or decreases from that initial point where it was calibrated, it will miss. This tendency is particularly amplified the higher you fly. A small miscalculation would not much effect a bomb drop at 10k, but that same mistake can cause the bombs to miss the target by more than 1000yards at 25k.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2004, 05:20:19 PM »
(continued)

4. Bombrun

This is why a "bombrun" process is needed. A typical bombrun starts around 8~10 miles before the bomber flies over the target. When your bomber goes into bombrun, you open your bomb bay doors, go to bombardiers position and start the "marking" process.

Since AH2 the nifty E6B function is available, so you can measure your current speed accurately. Watch your speed in the E6B, and when it no longer changes it means you are ready to start calibrating. This is why such a bombrun is required - a certain amount of time is required for the bombers to stabilize speed.

While entering a bombrun it is customary to reduce throttle and travel at a slower speed, because when the bomber is traveling near its top speed, if it loses its speed in the course of maneuvering it will take a lot of time before it recovers.

Stabilizing the speed is much easier when the bomber is travelling at a lower speed, and it is easier to shorten the process of waiting out until the speed stabilizies.

For example, instead of lowering throttle and waiting for it to drop down slowly and naturally, you can set the throttle to idle momentarily, so the speed drops down quickly to around 210~220mph. And then, increase throttle to about 60% of its max rate and "tweak" your speed from there.

If the speed is increasing pull back on the throttle a little bit. If it is falling advance the throttle a little bit. Adjust it bit by bit until the speed remains absolutely constant, with the rate of change less than 1mph per minute. By doing this "tweaking" you can cut down about half of the time required for the speed to stabilize, to start calibration.

A well calibrated sight, in my personal standards, is a sight which allows the bombs to land within 10 yards margin of error(a 5 yard radius circle around the target)

5. Salvo and Delay

The main strength of large bombers, is that it can spread its bombs out in a large area to maximize the damage. The amount of spread is determined by salvos and delay, which can be set by the dot commands ".salvo xxx" and ".delay xxx"(xxx being the salvo number and delay time respectively).

While it is still possible for people to use multiple releases of bombs with small salvos(for example, dropping the 14x 1000lbs bombs on the Lancaster in a sequence of 4, 4, 4, 2 bombs individually) there are inherent dangers in such bomb drops.

These kind of drops are usually aimed at killing multiple targets at a airbase, which is distanced apart. Because the bombers get lighter everytime bombs are released, its speed during the bomb run increases during the short interval of each bomb drops. The speed can change upto some 3~5 miles during each drop, and this means the accuracy drops each time the bombs are released in a single pass.

This may not be so pronounced when bombing from under 10k, but a small error amplifies to a terrific miss as the bombing altitude gets higher.

Thus, a sensible approach when targets are spaced, is releasing the bombs in "line" which covers the multiple targets. If the targets are spaced too far apart, the first group of targets will be bombed in the initial pass, and the second group will be bombed in during the turn-around and returning pass(which after that you go home).

When bombing a target in the size of the town, a delay setting of 0.6 will cover its full length. Larger targets such as industrial facilities may take 0.7~0.9 delay setting.

When bombing a CV, when the difference between your approach angle and the bearing the CV is travelling is more 45~60 degrees, a delay of 0.4~0.5 is optimum. If the differences are smaller 0.6 is a good setting.

The delay setting may also vary according to what kind of load you are carrying in what bomber. For instance, if you are using a B-26 formation to bomb CVs, the 4x1000lbs settings require absolute precision, which is highly unlikely to happen, esepcially when the CV is in evasive motion.

Thus, I usually carry smaller bombs in larger numbers. But since these bombs are weaker, if the delay setting is too high the disperesed hits may not reach the required damage effect of 8000lbs to kill the CV. So, when using the B-26s for such tasks my delay setting is shorter.

On the contrary, the Lancaster is a more massive, slower, and vulnerable platform, but it carries an impressive 14x1000lbs pounds payload, which in a formation of three bombers, can cover the target area with 42 thousand pounds of pure destruction. So the Lancasters can afford a longer delay setting which covers a wider area - and even small number of hits will be potentially lethal enough to sink the CV.

6. Final Approach and Release

When the sights are calibrated and ready, you are ready drop. You are free to adjust the bomber's course in the bombardier's position with your stick, when the calibration process is finished and "green".

Some people make the mistake of going back to the pilots seat, or jumping to external view to adjust course - but that is really unnecessary, not to mention that it might throw off your calibration.

When the bombsight is ready and "green", you can move the joystick right of left to adjust course. This simulates "bomber has control" phase. The course adjustments done in the bombardier's position maintain the altitude, and moves the heading of the plane at a slow and steady rate so the speed does not change at all. (even if it changes, it drops down about 1~2 mph, which is quickly recovered after the adjustment - this is why we have throttled the plane down during a bombrun).

When you drop, it is generally good practice to drop a bit short of the target, than exactly on the target itself.

Since it is highly likely that you are dropping large salvos of bombs, even if the inital bombs drop a little bit short the rest of the bombs landing will destroy the target. But if there was a small error while calibrating, and when you miss even a little bit long, then the whole salvo will miss entirely. Better safe than sorry.

7. Return Flight

Remember - the bomber's best strength is in its altitude. Some people make the mistake of diving the bombers after the bombrun, thinking the faster one gets out of the area the better.

But no matter how fast a bomber dives it will be caught by fighters. Whereas if a bomber stays high, the number of fighters he may face is usually low and isolated - it is a very rare thing to meet organized group of interceptors at high altitudes(unless a really dedicated squadron is at work).

So after bombing, turn around, close doors, push to max throttle - but don't lose your altitude. Stay high. If you don't have enough fuel to maintain full throttle, then it is a better choice to go down to slower cruise settings, rather than diving low, hoping to fly faster.

Take heed to above 7 steps of bombing, and you'll become a hot-shot buffer in notime - the good breed of true buffers, not the stinkin' divebombing Lanc dweebs.

ps) A little bonus:

When bombing a CV, there are two methods to do so. One is the 'straight' method, and the other is the 'estimated ' method.

In 'straight' method, you first spot a CV, then maneuver your bombers so that it follows the exact course the CV is travelling. It doesn't matter if the bomber is coming from 12oc or 6oc position of the CV, as long as it is straightly aligned.

During the marking process, move the marker over the CV itself, and use the CV for reference point during marking.

And then, when the CV is in the crosshairs - drop your bombs.

Needless to say, this method sucks. It is slow, unsafe, and totally useless if the CV starts evasives.

In the 'estimated' method, you calibrate as you would bomb a ground target - use some point on the water as reference. And then, you drop in front of the CV. For every 10k feet altitude you lead 1 length of the CV.

If the CV starts evasives, concentrate on the 'circle' the CV makes, and drop at a point which you estimate the CV will pass, as it circles around.

This method is much more efficient and successful than the former.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
calibrating bombsite
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2004, 09:06:22 PM »
Originally posted by 63tb
Also, when in the bombsite, do rudder inputs work? I just wanted to know if I have to be careful I don't twist the stick like when I use the guns.
No but....

While using the joystick to turn, kick in some rudder trim and you'll turn as if you were using rudder from a gun position.  Be careful not to lose your drones.

To line up on your target...

While in the pilot, bombardier, or gun position, set zoom to maximum.
It's best to move to the pilots position and press F3 outside view.
Then press F8 pan view.
Press your hat switch forward to look forward and down.
Zoom in on the target area from 8-12 miles out.
Use your trim keys to adjust your heading - don't touch the joystick.
With no wind, align your bomber on your target.
Jump to a gun position or back to the pilots seat to clear the F8 view mode.
Continue with calibration or gunning.

Calibration tips:
An early initial calibration will set your target alt and give you a check for how stable you are - see earlier posts.

Once you've passed the IP but before you're in sight of the target, you can enter calibration mode and extend your crosshairs well out in front.  Then so long as you don't toggle calibration mode off, you can align on the target or gun a pesky bandit.  Once you've aligned your bomber, do your calibration near the first target.  I try to be as stable as possible before then but my insurance is to reduce the amount of time between calibration and the drop so speed and alt have little time to drift off the calibration.

Field ack reaches 9,700 ft agl so if you fly below that you're a member of the suicide bombers group and might as well fly a jabo plane instead.

Flak starts at 10,000 ft agl and the lower you are the worse it is but it's still rare for it to hurt a bomber even in AH2, though it seems much more accruate and occasionally deadly now.  On a single run recently I lost two engines to flak and that never happened before.

As you get better you will find you can plink any light target on opposite ends of a field with 500 lb bombs at salvo 2 with delay 0.30.  It's very easy if you're a good navigator and have aligned properly.  Turning in the middle of the run will pork it of course.

Guess that's enough for now.  Have fun.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001