Author Topic: Hit Sprites.  (Read 1265 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Hit Sprites.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2004, 05:01:03 PM »
Mugzee it will perhaps sound stupid but well ...
did you try to defragment your disk ?

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Hit Sprites.
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2004, 06:12:41 PM »
Yes straffo i have. But thanks for thinking. :)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Hit Sprites.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2004, 06:14:30 PM »
Sorry if it pisses you but that's how it is.

You're saying I'm commenting on reality without anything to back it up, while you yourself has started the whole thread without anything to back your points in the first place, except bunch of generalizations and personal dislikes.

I don't have to 100 years old to comment on this, because its a subject beaten to death in countless other forums. A little study, reading and common sense it what it takes to distinguish reality and unreality.

I'm loathe to do it, but I was personally expecting you to comment exact those points after DJ posted the film. Which, is everything I've addressed in my first post.

1) Note the size of the plane compared to the mounting shown on the upper left corner of the film.

You want a guncam showing a plane that big which you can make out the borderlines of the fuselage band and the outlines of the ETC501 bombrack it is carrying, it is within 200 meters when the footages were taken.

2) How many flashes did you see on that film before the pilot bailed out?

Notice the interval with nothing showing between the flashes.

Those flashes are the API incendiary rounds striking at the target, with the traditional P-51 M2 50cal belt consisting of AP-AP-API-API-tracer.

The incendiary round proved particularly useful in not only starting an onboard fire in the fuel systems, but also a good 'mark' for indicating hits.

In other words, roughly 60% of the rounds hitting the Fw190A is not perceivable in the film. I counted 11 API hits, from which we can deduce the actual count of the hit on the plane - about 35~37 rounds of 50cals connected. (in a loose assumption,  that each API flash indicates the previous barrage of 2xAP rounds are connected, and a single tracer round connecting after it)

Compared to that AH is actually very kind, showing a hitsprite for every round fired and hit.

Becareful what you wish for - do you really want it the realistic way, with only the I/API or HE/HEI/HEIT rounds showing brighter flashes and explosions?

Or are you just wishing that AH showed every hit sprite that big?

Heck, why not ask for every round looking like a cannon shell burst?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Hit Sprites.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2004, 12:44:55 PM »
Freie Jagd Showing 20mm and 30mm strikes, mostly at 50-100 meters range or even closer. Clearly visable at that short range. Note that the film speed is slower then normal and yet the strikes are visable for only a short time.

190 Wings shot off A binch of 190's getting their wings shot off by 50 cal armed planes. Note how the hit sprites can hardly be seen at all. The only thing that is seen is the actual explosion when the wing is blown off. My opinion is that the wing ammounition is hit and that is what causes the explosion. There are no other highly explosvies objects in the wing of the 190. The film clearly shows explosions and not just a wing that brakes off.

Thanks to Phookat for putting these films on his webspace so I could post them :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 12:53:56 PM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Hit Sprites.
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2004, 03:15:36 PM »
The Yak-9T has a very effective system for differentiating between the cannon and MG.

If you see a sprite, and the plane continues flying, you hit with the MG.

If you see a sprite and the planes loses a big chunck, then explodes, or flops to the ground, you hit with the Cannon.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
Hit Sprites.
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2004, 03:55:21 PM »
LOL Sikboy :)  I'm gonna start using the 30 on my 109, see how that works out.