Author Topic: The VOSS CONSPIRACY... fascinating new book  (Read 103189 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
The VOSS CONSPIRACY... fascinating new book
« on: July 13, 2004, 07:14:28 AM »

This is from a close associate who was part of the Voss scam called 'TAS' .. and aye, Maverick .. he probably took the name of the squadron, but the scam was not done by the squad ...it was perpetrated by Voss.

> How much money did he get from who?

Before I answer your question, I'll put my cards face up on the table, just so you know where I'm coming from.
Back when Paul "Voss" Hinds began his Scam I had already been playing AW for several years. Voss was a member of an Air Warrior Squadron called the 13th TAS, a Squad that has since had links with other online flight sim's and is also currently running in Aces High.
I only mention that because TAS was the name of the new online game at the centre of the scam, and it is important to point out that they were in no way connected with it, as far as I know the other members of the Squad are all honourable men.

Also, I've never written any of this down before, so by way of disclaimer, I will say that I'm working entirely from memory, but this is in any case how I remember those events as they occurred.

I was one of the beta testers for TAS and although I was one of the lucky ones, the scam cost me money, and wasted a great deal of my time. Also, let's not forget that at the time this was the biggest, longest and most outrageous scam ever to hit the flight sim' community! Now you know where I'm coming from, I'll answer your question.

The person who lost the most was the main investor, Michael "Amok" Hobuss, who I believe was one of Voss's AW Squad mates. From my perspective as one of the beta testers, the deal appeared to be that Voss did all the programming and design while Amok covered the expenses and development
costs, including having a new powerful development machine delivered to Voss, setting up and maintaining the beta team, bulletin board, and all advertising and promotional costs.

Now before we go any farther, let's just look at that set-up. Voss had built credibility by claiming to have two doctorates, and vast relevant experience, he was not just exaggerating, he was deliberately giving false information to a squad mate, in order to
encourage him into parting with money and equipment for services he knew that he could not deliver.

He was never in the CIA, was never an F-16 pilot and he did not shoot down two enemy aircraft has he claimed, he did not own
a P-51, and has probably never even flown one, and he did not have two PhDs.
He fabricated that entire web of lies with the obvious motivation of securing investment for his own personal gain.

This scam lasted a long time, and was fed with screen shots that looked magnificent, but which were in fact only artwork, and the delays were blamed on all manner of incredible circumstances, a scorpion bite, brain tumour, even some mention of special missions with the CIA.

During that time a large number of people were involved on the beta site, and I was one of them. I've heard that some of the beta testers were also asked for front money, but I can't recall being asked, but I do remember that I didn't send money. So I can't confirm that.

The scam dragged on so long that someone eventually checked into his background, and his military service was the first thing to come under scrutiny.
When it transpired that he had not been an F-16 pilot in the
USAF, he invented the CIA story to explain why his name didn't appear in military records, but the wall was beginning to crumble.

As more of his lies were exposed, Michael Hobuss became suspicious, but no doubt found it very hard to believe that a squad mate would lie and steal from him, so at that point he was actually covering for him.

Then things began to move quickly, because his stories were stretching credibility to the limit. I know how long you need to remain in education to get a PhD, not to mention two! Computer skills that exceeded those of the best programmers of the day, USAF training, a flying career, converting to F-16s, recruitment by the CIA, a privately owned P-51, and this man appeared to have achieved more than most could manage in two life times.

Everyone was suspicious and people were asking awkward questions. Michael Hobuss was also getting nervous and began asking awkward questions too, and that's when Voss disappeared. The Scorpion bite! It was reported that Folk
even visited Voss in hospital, so perhaps that part was true, but it just went down hill from there.

Time dragged on, and after more revelations, and no further evidence that the game even existed, Voss was supposed to have a brain tumour resulting in the end of the game's development, but then Michael Hobuss blew the whistle!
He admitted he had been conned, and lost his hardware, the
expenses and development costs, and that there never was any game. Any beta testers who had fronted money to the project had lost it. I had spent a lot of time logging onto the beta test site and incurred telephone costs and wasted many hours of my own time, but I was one of the lucky ones!

How much did Michael Hobuss eventually lose, I can't say, but I'd guess the figure must have been at least several thousand, and to be fair I heard that he was able to recover some of it. I'm not even sure how much I lost, I certainly wasn't bothered about it because it would have only been a fraction of what I was spending on AW at that time  

This was a classic con! He fooled an investor, into parting with money and goods, by pretending to be something he wasn't.
The scam involved a large number of people, and left the community shaken, not because they had been taken in by a conman, but because they had been taken by one of their own,
some one many believed to be a squad mate and a friend.
For many it wasn't so much the money as the betrayal, that hurt that most.

Now I guess that all this could be forgotten if Voss had gone away, but he is still here, and he is attempting to rebuild his stock in the community.
Only recently he put out a call to the Aces High community to become involved in another project, that appeared to have all the hallmarks of another scam.
I was amazed when I saw it, and I thought to myself, "Here we
go again". Make no mistake, given the opportunity I believe he would do it again, it even looks very much as though he has actually tried already.
But fortunately, nobody took the bait. They never took the bait thanks to the efforts of those who remember, nobody has been allowed to forget.
The community has successfully protected itself by not allowing others to be taken in. That in my humble opinion is the morally correct, right and proper, thing to do.

When I see folk rehash the Voss stuff (as you call it) I'm always pleased to see it, because everytime it comes out I think that perhaps another few individuals have been made wise to him.
It also saddens me to see others defend him, because they are only helping him build a platform from which to strike again.

I haven't been able to give you exact figures, but does that answer your question?

Badz

-brought to you by Frank P. 'Gray Eagle' Williamson
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 12:56:19 PM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 07:16:34 AM »
Fester, your computer must not be fixed yet.  Because you put alot of work in that.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 07:19:16 AM »
nah thats 15 minutes basic graphic design layout.. not a very good one i might add.  but fascinating story. the book cover is just to draw you in.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 07:33:22 AM »
You trip me out Fester, would like to see you drunk one time to see how you realy act.  Last time a dude past out at one of my parties we pulled his pants down and poured Mayo on his prettythang.  Needless to say he was very upset when he awoke.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 07:37:49 AM »
Nice one Cit!..Or is that Fester?(Ooops I wasn't supposed to reveal that!)..Remember that one?...:rolleyes:

Or the "I Quit AH" thread?
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 07:43:06 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos
You trip me out Fester, would like to see you drunk one time to see how you realy act.  Last time a dude past out at one of my parties we pulled his pants down and poured Mayo on his prettythang.  Needless to say he was very upset when he awoke.

Uhhhhh..... I THINK he just hit on ya' Fester
ewwwwwwwww.  mayo luv'
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 07:43:59 AM »
This whole thing still yucks me up.  I do feel bad for those who were fooled and cheated, but what an amazing story.  I’m actually kind of glad that Voss is part of the flight sim community; just think of how interesting he has made things!

eskimo

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »
I don't swing that way.  I just don't like having 20 guys sleeping on my floor(the girls it's alright for them to).  We warn people not to pass out.  But after we do the Mayo thing they don't ever come back to our parties.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
Re: The VOSS CONSPIRACY... fascinating new book
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 08:55:30 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria

snip
Back when Paul "Voss" Hinds began his Scam I had already been playing AW for several years. Voss was a member of an Air Warrior Squadron called the 13th TAS, a Squad that has since had links with other online flight sim's and is also currently running in Aces High.

Just wanted to add that "Voss" or "Metatron" or whatever he calls himself now has NOTHING to do and NO RELATIONS WITH the 13th TAS in AH 2... we are comprised of a myriad of old-timers and new players now, all focused on simply enjoying the game..

Rant mode off...
:)
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 08:59:31 AM »
Lol Fester, where do you get these pics! You're killing me over here! Too funny. Anyways, for the sake of the community, I think it's necessary to keep players informed about the kind of scum Metapotato/Voss is. In case he tries to set up another scam it would be prudent for all of us to be aware, especially those new to the game who may be unfamiliar with his maliciously evil and deceitfull past.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 09:08:39 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 09:03:41 AM »
Icer we know that Voss/Metatron has nothing to do with you guys now and that when these things came to light you guys took an appropriate course with him and removed him from your squad.

I think most of us in AH have quite a bit of respect for 13th TAS even though we all want to hunt you down like the dogs you are and turn you into flame piles of rubble dotting the country side in the MA and in special events. ;)

Don't worry about him reflecting on you guys.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 09:07:40 AM »
Originally posted by Xargos
I don't swing that way.  I just don't like having 20 guys sleeping on my floor(the girls it's alright for them to).  We warn people not to pass out.  But after we do the Mayo thing they don't ever come back to our parties.

Yeah yeah, sure sure.  Denial isn't a river in Egypt, pal. :)

What did you use to spread the Mayo with? huh!? ;)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 09:10:30 AM »
Originally posted by ghostdancer

Don't worry about him reflecting on you guys.

Yea, not to worry Icer, Metapotato/Voss is now reflecting badly on the Hornets, you guys are off the hook ;)

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 09:13:34 AM »
They just have to worry about me reflecting on them .. before being with the Nightmares (1996) I was with 13th TAS way, way, way, way back when in AW just before they left to go to Warbirds (think that was 1994, back with Pain Squad before that in 1992). ;)

God of I have been flight simming for a long time. My wife might be right .. I am a geek. :)
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 09:14:35 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Yea, not to worry Icer, Metapotato/Voss is now reflecting badly on the Hornets, you guys are off the hook ;)

Zazen

MetaTron is in good standing with the Hornets..as are the rest of our squaddies...

If you can't beat us in the MA try the BBS eh ZazenChicken?:rolleyes:
**JOKER'S JOKERS**