Author Topic: Luftwaffe air to air rockets  (Read 943 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Luftwaffe air to air rockets
« on: July 22, 2004, 06:15:14 PM »
So far, through extensive testing, having other pilots fly level while I tried to range these damned rockets, I have found:

1) I can't for the cursed life of me ever hit near any target.
2) Can't figure out what the damned range to fire them is
3) They sink like hell. YOu fire then level and they'll "puff" about 500 feet below target at about 1k-ish range. (Maybe 1.4???)

Help needed! Need AH2-specific tips/hints on how the hell to use these things. Bf110G has 4 of them, and they're all but useless to me. I'd love to blow bits off of an enemy fighter with closely aimed flak puffs if I could get it anywhere near them, but no dice.

Pleading for help.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 06:20:02 PM »
We tried ranging them in the TA awhile back and your 500 foot drop and range 1-1.4 sounds familiar to what we found. IMO fighters to maneuverable to hit, unless they are extending indefinately, and they are a bigger threat versus bombers.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »
So basically they're useless against bombers, too, then? If you can't range them accurately or fire them properly, they are wasted. They are **supposed** to be mounted on the wings angled UP, so they arc and then fall, and you can aim them about right (in real life) but in AH/AH2 they seem to fire straight and level, which may be a flaw in the game (or not).

I've tried them on bombers before, as well... nothing. Not even diving from alt, at speed, will make them aim any straighter (tested in Fw190 with 2x rkts)

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 08:28:42 PM »
Rocket launch is generally messed up in AH.
Just try to launch any rockets when in flat spin, or missing tail. They always go directly towards your direction of travel no matter orientation of wings. In the above examples, that makes them travel perpendicular from to the wing and straight down.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 09:15:57 AM »
Never had much success with LW rockets.   American rockets loaded on p38, f4u, f6f have worked frequently for me.  

Not all that historical but it sure is fun when you get the hits.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 01:54:38 PM »
I"ve had some success with them against bombers in ah but haven't tried it in ah2.
 I would salvo all rockets at once with a slightly elevated sight. It usually took out all three bombers at once. Also I did it from about d500 or closer.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 02:02:15 PM »
it's like 1.4 i think

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 04:09:04 PM »
I don't think the rockets in AH are of the air to air variaty. Thses where used for ground targets. I do know of some people that have had some success at hitting buffs with them, but its more on luck than any one setting.

So, what I guess I'm saying is spend your time learning how to saddle up on a target and use your guns to down them, in stead of practicing a "hit or miss" deal with the rockets. :D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 05:11:19 PM »
The luftwaffe rockets (don't recall the specific name) are air to air mortar rockets, used with success in WW2 to break up close bomber formations (and then, I assume, pick off the lone bombers more easily). They are modeled rather poorly in AH2 (and AH1), but that doesn't mean they aren't supposed to work :P

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 07:45:06 PM »
Actually the WGr 21 cm Bord-Rakete was adopted from the Wurfgranate 42 21 cm mortar shell.  It had an extremely high max ord and rather slow velocity.  This made them extremely difficult to aim.  They were not very successful.

The Luftwaffe's primary Air to Ground weapon was bombs.  The most common sizes were 50 kg, 250kg, and 500Kg.

SC (sprengbombe-cilindrisch) - General Purpose bombs with a yellow recognition stripe.

SD (sprengbombe-dickwandig) Known as "Splitterbomben" were fragmentation bombs especially intended for anti-personel use but also effective against light fortifications or ships.  They had a red recognition stripe

AB - (abwurfbehalter) - containers for SD-2 anti personnel cluster bomblets and SD-4 anti-armour cluster bomblets.

Late in the war Panzerblitz rockets were developed by using the R4M rocket motor and the PanzerSchreck warhead.  Just how widespread their use was is debatable.

They were primarily Air to Air rockets used to break up the bomber formations.  The rockets were even more inaccurate when used against ground targets.

Here is some good information on Anti-tank aerial weaponery.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tankbusters.htm

Aside form any actual bug, the only thing AH doesn't model well is the ability to jettison the tubes and their supports thereby restoring the Aircraft's full performance IMO.

Crumpp

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 07:47:11 PM »
They were primarily Air to Air rockets used to break up the bomber formations. The rockets were even more inaccurate when used against ground targets.

Refers to the Wgr. 21's not the PB or PB2 rockets.

Crumpp

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 10:15:45 AM »
I once was tagged by those rockets from a 110. I was in an La7 trying to kill a goon before it drooped troops. I was about 1k away, maybe a touch less, and pulling away from the 110 on my 6. I heard this boom and then my wing fell off. The guy in the 110 shot me with the flack rockets and hit me! I think he was as surprised as I was. After almost 3 years of occasionaly having them shot at me and shooting them at others, I finnaly got to see what they could do. It was very cool.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 03:47:06 AM »
LOL people actually load those things on?????????:rolleyes:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 04:52:03 PM »
Every chance I get :)

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 04:32:23 PM »
i had my first A2A kills a week or so ago..

was in a typ..w/ 8 rokts..I jousted a form of Lancs......salvod' all 8 1 at a tiem quickly..I got all 3 ....it was bueatiful..

I have been attacked multipe times in my Deathstar by German Luftweenie rokts..

I dotn rmemebr ever being kille dby rokts...but i have had soem damage...its tuff..seems ,liek if they try to attk from 6 oklok..they get dam close to my 50 cal rnage before they can let loose with rokts..yes they defnly drop...

I think best bet is ti do a Joust from the 11--12-1 oklok range a few degrres higher then co alt