Author Topic: America gave the world the internet  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
America gave the world the internet
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 01:45:08 AM »
Originally posted by AKS\/\/ulfe
Ah, the backlash.

I'm letting you poor fishies go, if you look at that page you will find a "next" to click on or click on the years at the top.
-SW

ok so clicked next a few times.  Got asked who my ancestors were.  And read.  Yes Gunslinger can read.

so kinda like what I said only paraphrased and abrigedSo

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 01:45:53 AM »
Amerkia rules!

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2004, 01:46:14 AM »
Thats not what the brain implants are telling me!!
-SW

try this.  Its a forum favorite:  http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2004, 01:47:48 AM »
Aluminum foil, how ingenious! I shall be back with my brain anti-reading helmet in place.
-SW

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2004, 01:50:24 AM »
Aluminum foil, how ingenious! I shall be back with my brain anti-reading helmet in place.
-SW

KEWL!

Maybe you actually see now that libralism is the downfall of society......or is that pushing it?;)

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 01:55:14 AM »
HEY! I said "brain anti-reading", not "brain anti-writing"...

liberalism (or ****) makes every muscle in my body cringe and every orifice want to (imagine everything bad in the world happening at once).
-SW

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2004, 02:09:10 AM »
...but finns inspired the world wide web and IRC :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 02:43:28 AM by Fishu »

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2004, 02:24:46 AM »
On what processor and OS were you running this "web" that Yurop made?

Ya, and a Swede invented Computer Graphics and the mouse so there.

:D
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2004, 02:25:20 AM »
The Internet was created to be a decentralized communications network capable of sustaining a newkuler attack. Think it's about time to test it. Lot's of nukes, lots of targets, any volunteers to help with the test? ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2004, 02:29:59 AM »
Originally posted by Maniac
Ya, and a Swede invented Computer Graphics and the mouse so there.

:D

That's debatable. Who are you referring to as the inventor of "Computer Graphics"?

Inventor of the computer mouse: http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/m/mouse.html

You must be referring to this guy:

Hakan LANs
This year Hakan LANs was picked out as Year 2000's Swede of the World by a Swedish association. The statement of their reason mentioned his thirty years of epoch-making inventions that have given him many national and international honors. Mr. LANs is one of the persons behind the computer mouse, he invented and patented a technique that today is used in any computer's color graphic. He also invented the global positioning system now standard within both air traffic and shipping, though that patent he was forced to leave hold of by mighty American business interests, else the technique should have remained unused. That is how power by money and influence can be used.
But is it strange then, Swedes are proud of Hakan LANs? I do not think so, any country would time and again gladly mention such a person. And if there is no one they would speedily invent that person.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 02:39:26 AM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2004, 02:44:21 AM »
Though MS inventented double-click :D  :rofl

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2004, 02:47:13 AM »
Youre right about the mouse, djust looked it up, its a Swedish "urban legend" in Swedish media he is credited with inventing the mouse but its apparantly not true, he has not denied inventing the mouse and thats what have spread this "roumor" in Sweden...

He did build the first CGA monitor tough.

His name is Håkan Lantz (swedish inventor), he also invented a way for enabling GPS to cover the whole world (for air and sea traffic).

But is it strange then, Swedes are proud of Hakan LANs? I do not think so, any country would time and again gladly mention such a person. And if there is no one they would speedily invent that person.

I dont get this paragraph? What are he trying to get at? :confused:
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2004, 03:54:49 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
On what processor and OS were you running this "web" that Yurop made?

NeXT cube with a motorola processor...

This very one :

The 1st browser :

I still miss my beloved NeXT :(

March
"Information Management: A Proposal" written by Tim BL and circulated for comments at CERN (TBL). Paper "HyperText and CERN" produced as background (text or WriteNow format).

May
Same proposal recirculated
September
Mike Sendall, Tim's boss, Oks the purchase of a NeXT cube, and allows Tim to go ahead and write a global hypertext system.
October
Tim starts work on a hypertext GUI browser+editor using the NeXTStep development environment. He makes up "WorldWideWeb" as a name for the program. (See the first browser screenshot) "World Wide Web" as a name for the project (over Information Mesh, Mine of Information, and Information Mine).
Project original proposal reformulated with encouragement from CN and ECP divisional management. Robert Cailliau (ECP) joins and is co-author of new version.
November
Initial WorldWideWeb program development continues on the NeXT (TBL) . This was a "what you see is what you get" (wysiwyg) browser/editor with direct inline creation of links. The first web server was nxoc01.cern.ch, later called info.cern.ch, and the first web page http://nxoc01.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html Unfortunately CERN no longer supports the historical site. Note from this era too, the least recently modified web page we know of, last changed Tue, 13 Nov 1990 15:17:00 GMT (though the URI changed.)
November
Technical Student Nicola Pellow (CN) joins and starts work on the line-mode browser. Bernd Pollermann (CN) helps get interface to CERNVM "FIND" index running. TBL gives a colloquium on hypertext in general.
Christmas
Line mode browser and WorldWideWeb browser/editor demonstrable. Acces is possible to hypertext files, CERNVM "FIND", and Internet news articl

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2004, 07:19:25 AM »
Actually, the Internet sprang forth from the DARPA funding to find a way for dissimiliar computers to be able to share information in a seamless manner, regardless of the location of the computers.

Thus DARPA-Net was born.  The project used, what would be later called, UUCP to trade files between desparate computer systems over 300 baud modems.
The primary use became one where various colleges and universities traded information and discussions.  The first program created to automatically store and organize this data was developed at NASA and named 'Notes'.  At its peak, the Notes network was pretty large and DARPA had pulled its funding.  The project was renamed ARPA-Net and found funding in the various universities and corporations who had become dependent on the information and email capabilites.
Notes was lacking in some areas, and required a full download/upload of the entire tree of data when a new note was posted as the databases were single files with indexes to the information in those files.
As time went on, the number of people joining in the discussions grew and the Notes program was not up to scaling for this.  Thus was born uunet (UUCP Network) (later to be named Usenet).  By only trading the individual files/posts/emails, the network became much more efficient and about that time 1200 baud modems were becoming the norm.
The network was pretty centralized with server main hubs.  The primary hub in this network was a computer named 'ihnp4' which was maintained by AT&T.
With no government intervention or restrictions this network grew at an incredible rate.  UUnet was formed as a corporation and was the primary supporter of the network.  Links to overseas were exstablished by various companies so thier offshore subsidiaries could communicate with headquarters.  
In the mid to late 1980's, the name 'Internet' surfaced.  A lot of finger pointing/hand raising goes on as to who named it and how it came to be.  It was during this time that modems were being phased out in favor of direct high speed links and the use of TCP was supplanting UUCP.  Various gateways between the two networks were available to keep everyone on the 'net'.
In the early 1990's AOL decided to allow thier users access to the Internet and thus the commercialization of the Internet reached staggering heights.

The early days were a lot of fun.  The quality of information back then was simply outstanding.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2004, 07:24:34 AM »
Wow - thanks Skuz.