Author Topic: Amount of Ki84s actually made  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Amount of Ki84s actually made
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2004, 11:46:57 PM »
The odds of a Ki-84-I-Otsu with four 20mm cannon being added are small.

The Ki-84-I with the two 20mm and two 30mm cannon did not enter service and so will not be added.

The Ki-84's speed will probably be more than 30mph behind that of the Tempest and La-7.  More than 25mph slower than the Typhoon and Fw190D-9.  More than 15mph slower than the Bf109G-10 and P-51D.

It will be close to the speed of the La-5FN and Yak-9U at fastest.

You greatly undersell the importance of speed.  The Ki-84 will not, regardless of it's armament, be anywhere near the equal of the Spit XIV or F4U-4.

The Spit XIV's prop turns in the opposite direction that the Spit IX's does.  This enables it to out turn the Mk IX in one direction.

P-38 using combat flaps turns very well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline xBarrelx

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2004, 12:31:01 AM »
basically karnak is right and u are wrong :lol

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2004, 08:56:41 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak

You greatly undersell the importance of speed.  The Ki-84 will not, regardless of it's armament, be anywhere near the equal of the Spit XIV or F4U-4.

I believe that in the MA, it's all about deckspeed and 0-10k climb.

The Ki-84, IF it is modelled in the best possible light, might be close to the Spit XIV in terms of speed on the deck. But there is no way it climbs with the Spit XIV, F4U4, or Temp. I see it as likely being most similar to the Spit IX in terms of total package. Even with the 4xHo-5 gunset, that's no better than the Tampoon, with 4xHispanos.

If added, I imagine the Ki-84 would be the most popular plane in the arena for two tours, and everyone will be calling for it to be perked. Then once the novelty wears off, everyone will go back to HO-ing in La-7s.  :)

Of course, the only real solution to Ki-84 overplay is the Yak-9UT :p

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2004, 09:07:28 AM »
There were a lot moce Ki-84's than F4U1-C's...Hmmm HTC
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2004, 04:39:08 PM »
Hmmmm, so when can we get it...??
I wonder HTC still doesn't announce new aircrafts release. :(

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2004, 04:46:55 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
The only change was removing the two 12.7mm Ho-103 machine guns and their 700 rounds from the cowl and putting two 20mm Ho-5 cannon with 150 rounds each in the same space.

It doesn't justify that much of a price increase.

Also, I was matching it against the F4U-1C.;)

Which 20mm gun type does our current Ki61 Tei use?  If that's the Ho-5, then sign me up.  It seems that gun has received a bad rep.  I disagree, I *love* the Ki61's cowl cannons.  Very high ROF.  Miniscule burst at close range = boom.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2004, 04:53:55 PM »
Octavius,

The Ki-61-I-Tei is armed with two Ho-5 20mm cannon in the cowl with 120 rounds per gun and two 12.7mm Ho-103 machine guns, one in each wing with (IIRC) 250 ronds per gun.

The Ki-84-I-Ko is armed with two Ho-5 20mm cannon, one in each wing, with 150 rounds per gun and two 12.7mm Ho-103 machine guns with 350 rounds per gun in the cowl.

The Ki-84-I-Otsu is armed with four Ho-5 20mm cannon, two in the cowl and one in each wing, with 150 rounds per gun.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2004, 01:57:07 AM »
Originally posted by Mitsu
Hmmmm, so when can we get it...??
I wonder HTC still doesn't announce new aircrafts release. :(

Mitsu, they must be busy with lots of other things... fixing bugs and putting together that career point stuff.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2004, 09:48:25 AM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Which 20mm gun type does our current Ki61 Tei use?  If that's the Ho-5, then sign me up.  It seems that gun has received a bad rep.  I disagree, I *love* the Ki61's cowl cannons.  Very high ROF.  Miniscule burst at close range = boom.

I believe it is the same gun. I too think the 20mm's in the Ki61 are awsome, very high rate of fire, and lethal.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2004, 03:33:20 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
I believe it is the same gun. I too think the 20mm's in the Ki61 are awsome, very high rate of fire, and lethal.

No need to believe... cuz the Ki-61-I-Tei and the Ki-84s both used the Ho-5 20mm.

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2004, 03:51:46 PM »
Originally posted by Grits

One of the old patches nerfed the ROF for the Tony's cannons a little bit because they are synched through the prop.   The Frank's cannons would have a slightly higher ROF but wouldn't benefit from the convergence like the Tony.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2004, 09:53:25 PM »
Originally posted by FDutchmn
Mitsu, they must be busy with lots of other things... fixing bugs and putting together that career point stuff.

I saw the latest news.
I hope Ki-84 (or any Ki's) will be included in it.

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2004, 01:56:44 AM »
Originally posted by Mitsu
I saw the latest news.
I hope Ki-84 (or any Ki's) will be included in it.

I saw that too... I hope the Hayate is included!... :)

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2004, 03:47:46 PM »
This is the plane I miss most from AW. I used to fly it more than any other plane.

In AW it was faster than a P51 in a narrow alt window. It turned better than a spit 9 below 10k mostly because it had 4 flap settings which were fantastic if used properly. It climbed less fast than a spit and much less fast than a 109.

However, the controls would completely lock above a certain speed in a dive. And it had a very short clip.

It was not the most popular a/c choice in AW. I think it would be a fine addtion to AH, but I agree there are early war planes we need more.

Trip

Offline SoftOpt

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fourthfightergroup.com
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2004, 04:31:25 PM »
Very interesting read...

This is what I can say about the Ki-84 Hayate (Gale)

The specs:
Type:
  Single-seat interceptor and fighter-bomber
Origin: Nakajima
Allied Code Name: Frank
First Flight: N/A
Service Delivery: Summer 1944
Final Delivery: N/A
Number Produced: 3,514

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Engine:
Ki-84 Ia:
    Model: Nakajima Ha-45
    Type: Radial piston engine
    Number: One       Horsepower: 1,900 hp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dimensions:
Wing span: 36 ft. 10½ in.(11.24m)
Length: 32 ft. 6½ in. (9.92m)
Height: 11 ft. 1½ in. (3.39m)
Wing Surface Area: 226.05 sq. ft. (21m²)

Weights:
Empty: 5,864 lbs. (2660 kg)
Max. Take-Off: 8,576 lbs. (3890 kg)
    Performance:
Maximum Speed: 392 mph (631 km/h) at 20,080 ft.
Initial climb: N/A
Service Ceiling: 34,350 ft. (10,500m)
Range: 1,347 Miles (2168 km)
Endurance: N/A

Armament:
Ki-84-Ia:
Two 12.7mm machine guns.
Two 20mm Cannon.

Ki-84-Ib:
Four 20mm Cannon.

Ki-84-Ic:
Two 30mm Cannon.
Two 20mm Cannon.

Bomb Load:
Ki-84-Ia:
Wing racks for two 551 lb (250 kg) bombs

SOURCE:
Warbirds Resource Group

Being new to AH I will say that I agree with you about AH needing more early war stuff as opposed to late war, and this is NOT a slam on AH or the gameplay here. It has been QUITE successful to an onlooker up to this point, but up to this point with no RPS I have only seen the planes you mention earlier in this thread in the air, (la7, nik, spit, and typh, P51) so if this would only add an other "player" in that group. I welcome it. For any events that are held in the PTO, this plane is a MUST have I would think...There are special events here right? I will ask about that in an other thread.

FWIW, I have seen this A/C in "other" sims, but it was not the UBER plane you make it out to be, nor should it be if modeled correctly IMO. I guess in the end I fall prone to this,  MORE PLANES=BETTER FLIGHT SIM (if the modeling is done correctly) but that is just me. Your milage may vary at home. :) Interesting stuff.....