Author Topic: An Apology (No reply necessary)  (Read 132 times)

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
An Apology (No reply necessary)
« on: March 13, 2000, 05:53:00 PM »
Hi All,
   Just a quick note to explain my "Now you see him now you don't" forays in the main arena over the past week or so.

Several times (Too many) I am getting the "Host Connection Lost"   message and am totally unable to re connect. I can't provide a "Trace" because my system always hangs afterwards and usually I cannot re connect even after re booting (Pingplotter, Neotrace etc show no problems) after reconnection. (Apart from last Friday when ping times of 3000+ displayed) & I can "Surf" with no problems (Any Ideas,   Anyone,   Please).  

Anyway If I dissappear I'm not doing "Alt-F4" to ecape a kill honest and it's pissing me off as well.  

I wonder if it has anything to do with the "Freephone" access to the net which kicked off last week in the UK. Anyone else noticed any problems?  Just a thought

Thanks

TTFN
snafu

------------------

Kipper

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Hiya Snafu,
           I too am in the UK and now and again have the dreaded   Host Lost Con sign, this very evening i was 1k on a F4u's 6 and about to let rip with some 50's and guess what    yeppers  lost conn  and 1 missed kill :-(
As for it being anything to do with all the New n Great Free access from UK i can't see it being so, I think it,s just a Link Prob, I have Colt as my ISP's backbone here on my Screaming Conn and it Pings pretty good usually to AH, What i think it may be caused by is a Glitch in Lines across the ole pond, This is what i was told by a BT Engineer m8e of mine   (also BT are doing a mega mega overall of all lines n local exchanges to get ready for the new numbers coming out soon and this has been identified as a possible glitch to some systems) again  this is what i have been told (i am in noway any type of expert) but it sounds like the most possible cause of our little probs

Hope this may help ya some

Kipper
           Have Fun n Kill

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »
Here's a lesson in U.S. marketing ploys: If it has the word "Free" in it, it's not.

Hope that doesn't apply in U.K.  

Offline mx22

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2000, 08:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Here's a lesson in U.S. marketing ploys: If it has the word "Free" in it, it's not.

Hope that doesn't apply in U.K.  

I would put it differently Rip. It is free, but it's no good.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2000, 09:41:00 PM »
Web serfing is different to playing games. Games need low packet latencies more than bandwidth. As such if the packets dont get to you on time you will experience warping and eventually a disco. Whereas a web page dont give a damn what the latency is.

My suggestion? talk to other UK subscribers, if their latencies are significantly better, get a better ISP. If not...

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula
"...perfect for serving"

=1st Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assualt Group=
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2000, 01:13:00 AM »
Ok, I am in UK as well, and hope that this might help you :
My Main ISP is Easynet, but I decided to subscribe to a plethora of other free ISPs for the reason you stated above....so go for, free4all, oneLine, freeserve, there are loads of them...

Most of these ISP's use different backbones (although the ones using the UUNET ones usualy are the best ones for US linkage)...if you can't connect with your regular ISP, just switch to another for that evening...

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
KNIGHT'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-14-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2000, 12:55:00 PM »
I am going to put "No reply necessary" on all my posts from now on  

Thanks guys All common sense really (Never one of my strong points.

Anyway "The ISP for today is....."

(Thanks again)

TTFN
snafu