Author Topic: Vc-80 Fm-2  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« on: August 01, 2004, 06:38:33 AM »
This is my latest skin, it's an FM-2 of VC-80 in the mid war USN 3 tone scheme. I've just uploaded it to AH Skins.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 08:15:52 AM »
another  fine  skin  ill  just  have  to try harder  with mine:p
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 10:22:02 AM »
It's a beauty Greebo !!
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 12:36:10 PM »
I love it!

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 05:16:19 PM »
Greebo, you are a legend , awesome skin.

Keep those blue planes coming   :)
I come from a land downunder

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 05:24:32 PM »
Greebo I've DLed the skin and looked it over. I'm very impressed with your weathering. Care to share any tips/techniques with us beginners? I'm still a beginner when it comes to weathering. I can do smears and smudges, but all those little scratches boggle my mind. How do you do them?

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 10:50:52 PM »
I'm having an orgasm.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 11:10:50 PM »
Love the panel lines.

PS. That 1st screenshot is probably the best pic I've ever seen taken in this game...send it to HTC!

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 01:08:00 AM »
uhhh...how exactly did you get the action screenshot?  

O, does that a/c have an F3 mode online?  (i never noticed.)

looks great!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 03:10:43 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

WRT to the first screenshot, its a composite. I upped a flight of KI67s offline and made passes over an enemy base until one got shot down by the AA, taking screenshots all the while. Then I took some shots of the FM-2. These were edited with Paint Shop Pro to create the final image. The background is a Ki67 flight shot, with the FM-2s and other Ki67s cut and pasted into it as new layers. It sounds a lot of hassle, but it only took me an hour or so and I find it a fun way to end a project.
Originally posted by Krusty
I can do smears and smudges, but all those little scratches boggle my mind. How do you do them?

I start as you might expect, using a light grey paint tool set to one pixel wide and creating the scratches freehand. However this looks crap as they are too uniform. Real scratches tend to vary in depth. So the next stage is to use an eraser tool set to around 30% opacity, around 8 pixels wide and with low density to partially erase random areas of scratches. You can also alter the opacity of the whole layer, to get the effect you want. You only need to create a limited area of scratches, just cut and paste them over the rest of the skin. Use a freehand selection tool to do this, not a rectangular one.

Before you start, try to find some photos of your subject and get a feel for the weathering patterns. Imagine where the crew and mechanics would walk, which panels get opened most, which fasteners would get scratched most, where the propwash would chuck stuff onto the airframe etc.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 04:09:16 AM »
Best AH skin ever! WTG!  And please consider making an F6F skin in that same color scheme!

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 11:39:49 AM »
Gotta admit your stuff is head and shoulders above the rest of us hackers. I downloaded the skin for the purpose of seeing those scratches. A first class professional job in every respect.

Went back and attacked my D11 after a little study and beat it up some more. I really like how you vary rivit "lightness" dependent on where they're located. High traffic area causing wear etc.

I layed another white rivit layer over the wing and faded portions, erased portions to try to give it that look.

Great work, very inspiring. Got me back working on something I thought was done. Good stuff Greebo.

Heres the wing after alittle Greebo'ing :D

The wallpaper is a great presentation. I did one awhile back and am going to build one for the D11.

This skinning stuff is a disease
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 06:33:48 PM »
Looks fantastic nopoop, I picked up the uneven rivets idea from a comment Waffle made a couple of skins ago. I did it the same way you did.

Much as I'd love to do a 3 tone F6F, that skin has issues WRT mirroring. I'll wait until HTC redo it.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 04:38:25 PM »
Bery Bery nice skin! WTG!

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Vc-80 Fm-2
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 01:09:03 PM »
This skin deserves a...

w00t!