Author Topic: 1st post - coming to AH soon!  (Read 291 times)

scrmbl

1st post - coming to AH soon!
« on: March 14, 2000, 05:11:00 AM »
Hello folks!  This is scrmbl here from WB, and this is my first ever AH post. Nice to see some familiar names here - funked, jekyll, leonid, krod...

I have read various posts on this board with interest, plus a few on the WB-AGW board. I’m still playing WB, but I have to say that I am rather disappointed in the game ever since the team moved to NC, and ever since they began messing with the gunnery/damage models as of 2.6.  The very fact that some people knew WB2.6 as the "golden month of WB",  whereas others like myself were able to get only 4 kills in a month, until they revised the code, adequately demonstrates that connects and hardware are everything. In another post on this board I read how iEN has kow-towed to the demands of the Vociferous Few regarding how the gunnery should be - all that business about kinetic energy, dispersion etc, and I agree. What they should have been doing is working on the connections to give us a level playing field. Instead, we had a situation (in WB 2.6) where I had to empty more than half my 109F cannon into a bogie just to see a result, whereas bogies were able to blow my wing off with a single ping! There was simply no point in playing, and I cancelled my account. What really hurt was all the hero worship that surrounded this - xxxxxx, boy that guy’s a real hotshot, and scrmbl sucks etc etc. Well, they did fix the code into something that was playable, so I came back as I said I would, after only about 6 weeks. Many of us had had to spend fortunes getting processor upgrades, and surprise, surprise - after I got mine, I too was able to blow wings off with a single ping! Got a new ISP, much better than the earlier one, and was really able to hit hard!  Just to make my mark, I played hard in a .50 cal armed plane, the F6F, and got 428 kills in ToD 52 and finished at #8 in the fighter rankings, also did a load of jabo and was around #30 on the bomber rankings by ToD’s end. And guess what, the Vociferous Few starts whining about the F6F - it’s a wussie plane, the climb rate is wrong, waah-waah-waah. I guess the next thing to happen will be iEN dumbing down the F6F to meet their demands. I’ve seen it before. I saw what they did to the 190 in WB2.6, and it sucks.

There’s so many good guys leaving WB, and some have been around for years. I have only been there since Jan-1998 myself. The arguments about whether WB is better than AH, or vice-versa can be debated ad nauseum. But what really matters is player preference. It’s our $$$.

Starting today, I shall be downloading the AH software. If you guys can help me out with any optional add-ons that I might need, I will really appreciate it!  Things like optional sounds, artwork, terrain, tips on stick settings etc. My system is W98, with a AMD3 K6 450Mhz processor, Voodoo-3 3500TV videocard, 3COM 56K modem, 19" iiyama Vision Master 450 monitor, MS Sidewinder Precision Pro stick - which I’m VERY happy with!

My plan is to download the software, and then spend a few days learning the game. By that time I might have heard from you guys - I’ll look forward to it. See you soon,

scrmbl

funked

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2000, 05:42:00 AM »
Come on over baby!

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2000, 05:43:00 AM »
Wellcome scrmbl!
And yes - the F6F *did* become a wussie plane ;=)

You will find the view system quite different - and better - than WB.Problm is to squise it into the JS without combo setup.If you are interesred I can mail my Sidewinder setup, and you can go from there..

Rest is like WB: practice and patience.Oh and BTW: the A8 is BS here too, but things are actually being done here, so there is hope.

<S>

danish

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2000, 05:50:00 AM »
 Hiya scrmbl,I remember you from WB-welcome to AH! The downloads page on the HTC home page has links to maps(Glars and Thunder),custom sounds,(AKwabbit),joystick files,and help documents.(indian) You will find good connects,very lethal guns,and more fun than you can imagine in the arenas. We have a very friendly and helpful community in Aces High and always glad to see new (or old) faces.   As far as which sim is better-play for awhile and draw your own conclusions,but be warned-the competition in the arena is of very high quality so give it some time to adapt to the difference in FM feel. I think you will like it here.  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2000, 07:05:00 AM »
Scrmbl-

And afford yourself the luxury of the Training Arena... there are plenty of drones there to help you get gunnery down.  

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2000, 07:53:00 AM »
Welcome !
I am no WW2 plane Experten, the ony this I can tell you is that we have a great community here ! Shout & help will be on the way...

(If only they would STOP shooting at me...   )

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
KNIGHT'S FINEST FLYING BRICK

JG2 "Richthofen"
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 03-14-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2000, 09:08:00 AM »
Make sure you select 16m depth for colors on your video.  I don't think a VooDoo based card will run 32m.

Download the HiRez package, it is worth it.

AKWabbit has a very good sound pack out.  Save your defaults then install.  Pretty well done.

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2000, 11:30:00 AM »
Welcome!

Jus a note to let ya know....fps will not be great due to no support of the AMD chips...it will definetly be playable but I will be suprised if you see the 50+ which is prevelent here. Switched to Intel mesef

If you ever need any help, jus call out!

Rude Out!

Offline snag

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »
hi, call when you need something. it's starting to make quite a bit of us from  Tangmere Wing in here  

and the good thing is that we fly for the green here too.

-snag-@warbirds.org
BrandW XO 13 Squadron RAF
AH 340 Squadron RAF

Offline rickod

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
scrmbl sshhhh

heh
seems im not the only one poking around in brand AH

heh
RICKOD

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2000, 12:09:00 PM »
Geez seems like there's a secret trickle of Tangmere members to AH..c'mon Pyro give us a Lanc and tempt the other 50 of us  

------------------

JFalk

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
my advice is get rid of your joystick and get a CH combstick USB and CH Pro Pedals USB asap.  I used both a MS precision pro and a MS Force Feedback stick, both have the twisty /rudder stick.  Tying out both of the MS sticks I found that my control was less then satisfactory, I upgraded to the CH products and gear and it was like night and day, I highly recommend them.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
Welcome over bud, I think you will enjoy the nice change of pace.  The FM is differant, but its a great change and I think alot more real. This game will make a better sim pilot of ya.

I understand completely your frustration with the WB game of today.  One big change you will notice, a whole lot smaller credit card bill each month.  

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Belgar-

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2000, 07:10:00 PM »
Welcome scrmbl like to see another Tangmere pilot trying out Aces High......once you tried it and given yourself that week transistion in the learning of a new Flight-model im sure you will enjoy it

the Hi-res package is a must

you got guys in all three countries willing to give you that helping hand....so dont be afriad to shout

no wussy F6F yet but im sure youll get your own personal one in 2 weeks  

well you been there and done that and know the drill

so come over and join the party

ps i know you were just getting use to the 3D in Warbirds but once you installed AH you gonna love the graphics on this baby

pps go to the Tangmere BBS to see more info on the AH subject under Tangemre Mess cant miss it its the one that stays at the top at the moment  

------------------

[This message has been edited by Belgar- (edited 03-14-2000).]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2000, 08:40:00 PM »
woohoo!

Come to the light scrmbl.

Closed my account at IEN in Feb...

-vlkn- in