Author Topic: Thinking of an experment. #3  (Read 1372 times)

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Thinking of an experment. #3
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 12:54:23 PM »
I most definately agree.  Not only will there be threads worth reading (that dont go completely off topic because of flaming/insulting/bickering/arguing etc...), it will also make a good impression among new players because they wont see all of the pointless arguing and things of that sort.

I probably made no sense, but in other words, very good idea :aok

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 12:55:48 PM »
And it realy isn't that much work, and it wouldn't be skuzzy doing it, it would be me.

It isn't that much work, because I read almost all threads anyway, locking them is about as much work as hitting the back button.

HiTech

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 12:57:44 PM »
I have a different opinion as was attempted in exp. #2.
  If you get a l`il heavy handed on the BBS with the moniotoring stuff then it will all go to ingame on channel 200.
  Another thing to consider would be interpretation. Sometimes what one considers a flame or bashing, etc. is not the posters intention but is taken by such from someone else. Just a thought.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline jamusta

• Silver Member
Re: Thinking of an experment. #3
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2004, 12:58:01 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
To see what happens, am considering locking all in threads in the General Discussion ,for a week if any of the following apear.

1. Any flame of some ones post, not a counter discusion, but a flame. Also flame baits.

2. Any personal attacks.

3. A whine, not a suggest ,critisim or view, but the over the top stuff.

What do you guys think is it worth a try to see if it changes the general flavor?

HiTech

I BET YOU DON'T.....YOU DON'T HAVE THE NADS!!!!!
I DARE YOU..... I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!!

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2004, 12:58:13 PM »
I would have to agree with the Captain.

The fact that HTC has to do something or is thinking about doing something reguarding the BBS and the community is most bothersome.

Kind of like a  "we all seem to be either disappointed or happy about someones disappointment" type of behavior. Has it reached a boiling point? Has everyone vented enough?
Again, just seems like a real shame that a community has to continue to grow apart or become so hardened.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 12:58:53 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
I spend alot of time in here. There is a certain mindset that has remained fairly constant through the last couple of years.

A general knowlege of where the "line" was drawn.

That changed a few weeks ago with a series of threads, one of which is still up after being moved and has 1755 replies in the O'Club.

Those series of threads and their allowence to continue changed the mindset here.

I think I know why they remained unlocked, but for a good deal of people they took that as a "relaxing" of the rules.

A face value kinda thing.

Could be wrong

I don't think that is the source of the problem. It was made very plain nearly from the start that the rules were loosened in that thread.

That being said, I'm not sure where the problem really does lie.

As far as being for or against the experiment, I don't really lean either way. The possible consequences however concern me greatly.

Again, I'm not saying HTC would be unfair, far from it, but experience with human nature tells me that they are almost certain to be accused of it. The same experience tells me it would be nasty and go down hill from there.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2004, 01:00:13 PM »
Nice idea HiTech, but what do you do about the goof's who's only purpose in life would be to get the forum locked?

...ya know it would happen.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2004, 01:01:38 PM »
I think it is worthy especially in the "Any personal attacks."  realm.  There is no need for it.

I also think restricting the "A whine, not a suggest ,critisim or view, but the over the top stuff."  is a good idea, mostly because this stuff really sets me off lolh. :D

This one "Any flame of some ones post, not a counter discusion, but a flame. Also flame baits. "  is interesting and a grey area I would like to see where you draw the line.

Thumbs up from me, although it should only be trial and the BB community should have a vote as a whole on weather it becomes permanent or not.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 01:01:40 PM »
That could be a posible Outcome jackal1. But rember it is only for a week. And do you think it would change the "NORM"?

HiTech

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2004, 01:03:57 PM »
And it realy isn't that much work, and it wouldn't be skuzzy doing it, it would be me.

It isn't that much work, because I read almost all threads anyway, locking them is about as much work as hitting the back button.

HiTech

It really wasn't about the workload. It was about something that COULD get big and ugly.

It boils down to weighing the choices of subtly and quietly nudging the whole thing in a better direction vs a more harsh attempt at a solution.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2004, 01:04:26 PM »
I think it's a great idea for THIS forum.  Give Skuzzy a bigger stick.

You've got to nip it, nip it in the bud.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2004, 01:07:19 PM »
If you whack the dog with a rolled up newspaper when he piddles in the house, and then stick him outside for a while, he will eventually figure out that piddling in the house is a bad idea.

Whack away HT.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2004, 01:08:34 PM »
Originally posted by RTR
If you whack the dog with a rolled up newspaper when he piddles in the house, and then stick him outside for a while, he will eventually figure out that piddling in the house is a bad idea.

Whack away HT.

RT

lmao ...
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2004, 01:09:06 PM »
That could be a posible Outcome jackal1. But rember it is only for a week. And do you think it would change the "NORM"?

HiTech

Hmmmmmm...... maybe it would. I guess it couldn`t get much worse on channel 200 anyway.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2004, 01:09:26 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
I think it is worthy especially in the "Any personal attacks."  realm.  There is no need for it.

I also think restricting the "A whine, not a suggest ,critisim or view, but the over the top stuff."  is a good idea, mostly because this stuff really sets me off lolh. :D

This one "Any flame of some ones post, not a counter discusion, but a flame. Also flame baits. "  is interesting and a grey area I would like to see where you draw the line.

Thumbs up from me, although it should only be trial and the BB community should have a vote as a whole on weather it becomes permanent or not.

The problem is the grey area involved in all of it. Once you draw a line, some people feel driven to flirt with it. Then it becomes another sort of problem.

As far as a "vote" by the community, this place is probably better off as a benevolent dictatorship. I figure it will stay that way, with HT looking out for what he feels is in the best interest of all. Since he's asked for input, and will likelyact with regards to it, I'd say it will work pretty well.

SaVaGe