Author Topic: Anyone here know much about Gameboys?  (Read 450 times)

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Anyone here know much about Gameboys?
« on: August 09, 2004, 07:59:25 AM »
I know absolutely nothing except what they (in general) look like. My son wants one for his birthday and I've got to get educated before I buy. My personal preferences are against console games accross the board, I'd be more inclined to buy the kid a laptop but thats not practical for use in the car and all :)

Is Nintendo the only handheld worth getting? If so which one? Whats the availability of titles for the various versions? Future development for software? What upgrades are considered essential? Etc.

Any tips are welcome!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 08:40:03 AM »
Get a GameBoy Advance.  It is backward compatible with the original GameBoy which means there are a million games out there.

The Sony Playstation Portable won't be out until next year.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 08:56:45 AM »
I broke down and bought a Gamecube for the kids....and me of course  ;).

I'm actually happy that I did....I really beieve that it helps kids with hand-eye stuff.

I am not too keen on Gameboys though, but I'll probably cave and let them have one....as long as they don't sit and play for hours on end.

I'm lucky...my boys love to play with the Gamecube, but after a while they want to do something else...like go outside, read a book etc.  I would hope the same would be true if I got them Gameboys.

I'm really not familiar with the Gameboys, but I did notice that there is an add-on that allows the Gameboys to attach to the Gamecude and the kids can play them on the big screen.

That is all the help I can offer.  :)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Wilfrid

• Copper Member
      • http://www.crytek.de
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 09:05:02 AM »
Edbert get the GameBoy Advance SP, the non-SP version had problems with it's screen being too dark.

Yes it's the only handheld worth getting right now. There is a huge catalogue of games available for it. I guess the only upgrade that you could call essential is the earphone jack they sell separately ;)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 09:07:40 AM »
i know my best friend's son plays that dmn thing everywhere he goes... sitting at the table at a resturant waiting for food (i can't believe they let him get away with that)

he even played while "helping" me move. he was supposed to hold the door thats all, we come up carrying a sofa... no door open. we yell for him, he says just a sec...

that was the last straw for my buddy, dropped the sofa right there in the hall, went it, spanked the boy, took the gameboy, made him sit buckeled in his car seat for the next hour.

sad part is the wife is the one that lest the get away with that bullcht all the time, so punishing 1 offence doesnt do anything.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 09:16:56 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I 'preciate' it :)

FWIW, my son has been using the computer since he was 2, he learned to type his password for logon then. He used to do the "Blue's Clues" games but want to do what daddy does now. He plays AH2 offline now and is shooting down drones and taking off loaded B17s without auto-takeoff. His favorite game is "Call Of Duty", he gets almost a 1:1 K/D in "Blackhawk Down" online, and I wont let him play Doom3 since I don't wanna stay up with him at night due to nightmares...LOL
He cannot read and type well in an online environment, too fast paced for him and all. But one time I was watching him play (role reversal eh?) and some guy was b1tching at him on open channel and getting pissed that he was not replying. I wrote down that I was "CHarlie's" dad and the guy he was talking to was 5, and he should stfu since he let a 5 year old kick his arse. Most of the others playing gave the offender a load of watermelon after that.

The portable is mainly for our common 3-4 hour drives to visit family. It is largely so my wife and I can have some peace and quiet and not answer questions about how tornadoes are formed and what the sun is made out of. He turns 7 in Spetember.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 11:21:11 AM »
I don't have gameboy SP so i wouldn't know to well, but i do have advanded.  its good, you can get all the old el cheapo gameboy games and play it on that.  before you buy anything he wants just be warned pokemon= ghey and very time consuming.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 11:33:40 AM »
Originally posted by JB73
i know my best friend's son plays that dmn thing everywhere he goes... sitting at the table at a resturant waiting for food (i can't believe they let him get away with that)

he even played while "helping" me move. he was supposed to hold the door thats all, we come up carrying a sofa... no door open. we yell for him, he says just a sec...

that was the last straw for my buddy, dropped the sofa right there in the hall, went it, spanked the boy, took the gameboy, made him sit buckeled in his car seat for the next hour.

sad part is the wife is the one that lest the get away with that bullcht all the time, so punishing 1 offence doesnt do anything.

lol...I think I would have done exactly the same thing if my kid did that.  Did he ever give the kid back his gameboy?  I'd have been tempted to smash it there and then.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 01:26:34 PM »
I have the regular Gameboy advanced.  Its freaking dark, almost unplayable dark.  How it got released to the public like that is beyond me.  The flip top version fixes this issue.

I use it in between flights.  I used to play games on the cell phone but the GBA is much better, it even has madden on it.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 01:27:06 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
lol...I think I would have done exactly the same thing if my kid did that.  Did he ever give the kid back his gameboy?  I'd have been tempted to smash it there and then.
"mom" gave it back when he got home, full of red eyes from crying the whole way home LOL.

waaaaa waaaa i cant play my game all the time.

phhhhppt

sometimes i cant stand my buddies kids LOL

I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Wilfrid

• Copper Member
      • http://www.crytek.de
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »
It is largely so my wife and I can have some peace and quiet and not answer questions about how tornadoes are formed and what the sun is made out of. He turns 7 in Spetember.

Answer his questions, and encourage him to ask more. He'll thank you later.

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 01:46:24 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert MOL
Thanks for the input guys, I 'preciate' it :)

The portable is mainly for our common 3-4 hour drives to visit family. It is largely so my wife and I can have some peace and quiet and not answer questions about how tornadoes are formed and what the sun is made out of. He turns 7 in Spetember.

great. help him acquire an addiction that might turn him into an overweight tard that never leaves the house, just cause you are too bored to talk to him about intelligent stuff. I suggest you get him some books, they're great for passing time and might help him read faster :P

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 02:11:40 PM »
Guys, relax. Too much time spent reading the political flame-fests eh?

I answer all of his questions, he joined an advanced science class after shcool by invitation, and he's already reading at the 4th grade level even though he just finished Kindergarten.  I think I'm doing fine raising him without your help although I appreciate the sentiment, mmmmkay?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 02:17:19 PM »
I could probably spin some story that closely resembles the truth, but I cannot say for sure that I actually know how tornadoes are formed or what the sun is made of.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 02:18:59 PM »
Geez Edbert,...read the title to the thread and thought, "sheesh,..what kinky thing they got going on now?"

Phew.  Glad it was not what it appeared to be. :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com