Author Topic: What was the greatest combat rifle of all time? (We need more gun threads)  (Read 748 times)

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
What was the greatest combat rifle of all time? (We need more gun threads)
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2004, 07:12:51 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Its just a different reciever cover if you want rails. What have they been doing with the 7.62 nato round? anything exotic?

not that im aware of but i was shooting 5.56 then 6.8 then back to 5.56. i think 7.62 nato popular because its same as always big and fast and puts down what it hits and unless you in urban area you actually will find use for extra effective range at some time or another. ive had no problems with 5.56 myself but there was more than once in afghanistan where shooting upslope at range i would have loved to have m14 g3 or fn fal.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2004, 07:21:33 PM »
Wouldn't proper neofascist policy limit this thread to combat infantrymen only?

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »
Aug was...well, different   :)

It was accurate, but the feeling was off to me.  If I'd spent enough time with it, I probably could have become comfortable with the bullpup design.  My dad's was one of the first imported to the US so it was semi-auto only.  I didn't like the magazine placement so far back on the stock. I didn't feel it was as easy to reload as one further forward.  The recoil was very managable in semi and the site was easy to use for target shooting, but like everything else, it would take something to get used to in combat situations.

Several of my dad's friends were Federal LEO's and he and them were graduates of Jeff Cooper's Gunsite academy.  We would all go out in the desert and run combat drills, combat pistol/rifle/smg shooting drills and competitions.  Great fun.  

So I've run combat-type simulations with all of those guns and my favorite was the Fal.  Of all the SMG's I've ever shot (Thompson, Sten, MP-5, Uzi, etc.) my favorite was the Sterling.  Because of the design, the bolt was in line with the stock which let the recoil push the gun directly back and less up.  It was light and accurate.

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2004, 07:33:52 PM »
Originally posted by Dune
Aug was...well, different   :)

It was accurate, but the feeling was off to me.  If I'd spent enough time with it, I probably could have become comfortable with the bullpup design.  My dad's was one of the first imported to the US so it was semi-auto only.  I didn't like the magazine placement so far back on the stock. I didn't feel it was as easy to reload as one further forward.  The recoil was very managable in semi and the site was easy to use for target shooting, but like everything else, it would take something to get used to in combat situations.

Several of my dad's friends were Federal LEO's and he and them were graduates of Jeff Cooper's Gunsite academy.  We would all go out in the desert and run combat drills, combat pistol/rifle/smg shooting drills and competitions.  Great fun.  

So I've run combat-type simulations with all of those guns and my favorite was the Fal.  Of all the SMG's I've ever shot (Thompson, Sten, MP-5, Uzi, etc.) my favorite was the Sterling.  Because of the design, the bolt was in line with the stock which let the recoil push the gun directly back and less up.  It was light and accurate.

gunsite is a great outfit. i gotta say never shot the aug but ever since i saw that don johnson mickey rourke movie where the badguys all used aug and moved line abreast in black kevlar trenchcoats ive thought it would be cool to have one. :)

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2004, 07:39:15 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1

what are you talking about guy? and are you going to raiders at san diego on halloween?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2004, 08:59:26 PM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1

Proper neofacist policy would have you walking ahead of convoys in Iraq stomping your feet.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2004, 09:24:06 PM »
<-------- Pong0wn3d
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 09:28:32 PM by FUNKED1 »

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2004, 09:26:03 PM »
Originally posted by anonymous
what are you talking about guy? and are you going to raiders at san diego on halloween?

I'm just smashing Pongo's grapes.
As a matter of fact I might be at the game.  My friend's company is probably going to have a luxury box for that game.  I will be there in my Matuzak jersey.  :)
I'm down there 3-4 times a year BTW.  I'm a UCSD alumnus and I keep in touch with friends in PB and La Jolla.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2004, 09:32:58 PM »
Real answer:
In video games it's clearly the Steyr Aug.  It's short enough to use indoors and it's got integral optics.

In military history, probably the AK-47/74 just because nothing puts out more lead for less money.  And a trained chimp could maintain it.

In real life I'll go with the Remington 870 because it's the only weapon I have a significant amount of experience with.  I defended Aztlan from numerous attacks by Islamic clays and ground squirrels.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2004, 09:53:57 PM »
For rifles...  M1 Garand (served in WWI, WW2, Korea)

Assault rifles... no doubt AK-47/M ( low price and very effective in guerilla attacks when coupled with RPGs!)

:)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2004, 01:39:04 AM »
HK 91.

W3 M|_|57 |\|3\/4R F0RG3T Sn1p3rZ!!!1
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2004, 02:36:06 AM »
Thanks Dune :)

Daniel

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2004, 07:00:35 AM »
Most influential : ak-47 with the mosin-nagant as close runner up.

overall best: FN-FAL especially now that you can get them made in just about any caliber.

Mausers based on the 98 action get honorable mention as well as the SKS.

IMO all guns that need to be in any enthusiests collection.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2004, 07:39:30 AM »
HK G36

"Good By Any Measure

In conclusion, then, let us return to our original criteria for an infantry rifle and compare the G36 to them. The G36 certainly meets our weight criterion. The assault-rifle version weighs only 3.3kg and the carbine 3kg. As to reliability, we experienced absolutely no failures of any sort in our test firing of the G36, although our test was admittedly insufficient for more than a general impression of the rifle's reliability. It should be noted, however, that during testing of the G36 at the U.S. Army's desert test facility at Yuma, Ariz., there was not a single stoppage in more than 24,000 rounds fired under incredibly harsh conditions. The test protocol consisted of firing 240 rounds on uninterrupted (except to change magazines) full automatic, submerging the G36 into a barrel of water until it quit boiling, removing the rifle, shaking it free of water, then repeating the process. The test rifle was cleaned at the end of each day after firing 6,000 to 8,000 rounds. This performance confirms the impression gained during our limited firing of the G36 with several types of ammunition.

Is the G36 maintainable? According to the manufacturer, cleaning is really necessary only about every 5,000 rounds. While the author cannot in good conscience recommend this procedure, it does show confidence by H&K. Also, the polymer components can be cleaned using either solvent, water-based solvent, plain water, or compressed air. As noted previously, after firing hundreds of rounds, there was no noticeable fouling or residue buildup in the G36 receiver that the author examined. We have already noted the ease of both user and organizational maintenance. And, finally, the G36's simplicity is remarkable. The operating system is, to this writer at least, "as good as it gets." The control placement made the learning curve on the G36 extremely short. The sights are excellent. Disassembly and assembly of the G36 are simple and almost intuitive with minimal instruction. In sum, then, we feel that the G36 fits our definition of the ideal infantry rifle in virtually every respect. We have only two minor reservations. We prefer a lighter trigger, but this is a subjective judgment that can, as stated previously, be overcome with training and use. The only real, albeit minor, complaint about the G36 is the forearm that overheats too quickly, but H&K is in the process of designing a forearm heat shield. Our final assessment, then, is that Heckler & Koch have definitely hit the mark with their new G36.

It is truly a soldier's rifle.

A former Marine intelligence officer, Charlie Cutshaw is now an editor for Jane's "

http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/g36/g36.htm

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2004, 08:09:32 AM »
what are the criteria?   Ak series would be a high ranker for current rifles but I would rather have the m16 series for accuracy and weight and versatility.  Have allways lik3ed the aug series for portability.

For WWII.. I own a maus3er and a Garrand and a smle... the Garrand is head and shoulders better...

the FAL would be a better major caliber but is still not as accurate as an old long action Garrand but... the FAL is easier to load as is the m14.

point is... grab any modern assault rifle or battle rifle and you will be fine.  No real lemons these days.

lazs