Author Topic: Win XP Pro problem  (Read 838 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Win XP Pro problem
« on: August 11, 2004, 11:16:58 PM »
I recently reformatted my hardrive and loaded Win XP pro.  I had been using Win 2000 for three years.  For whatever reason, when I start AH, the software acts like and then just quits loading.  I have tried reloading AH and that didn't help.  AH ran fine using Win2K.  Anyone have this issue before and can put me on the right path to fix this?

1.4 Mh Athlon
512 Mb DDR ram
Geforce 3, 64 Mb
Soundblaster Live

thx

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 12:27:31 AM »
No idea, try running it in compatibility mode. Usually doesn't work, but not like it takes four hours to do.

Right click AHII shortcut and select properties. Open the Compatibility tab. Rest is self explanitory. :)
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 06:40:54 AM »
Stupid question, but when you loaded win xp pro, did you
also load the XP video drivers, and not your old 2K drivers?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 06:46:18 AM »
Make sure you have your desktop set to 32 bit color.

Load your sound card and video drivers, preferably getting the drivers from the manufacturers WEB site as anything on a CD is going to be outdated.
Make sure to do all the upgrades to XP from Microsoft's Update Center (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 09:53:47 AM »
Also make sure the MS firewall is turned off.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:10:27 AM »
Hey fella's,

I am a little confused.  I am 99% sure I have done everything right, including your suggestions.  I completely wiped everything off my disk and reformatted. Booted from CD and installed WinXP on the disk, not partitioned.  Loaded latest Nvidea driver for Geforce cards (61.77).  Soundblaster drivers are resident in XP, so I didn't bother.  Maybe a prob??.  I then went to Win Update and sat here for a while and loaded all the critical and recommended updates for XP.  I then loaded DirectX 9.0c.  Loaded Java (latest JRE).  DL and install AH2, full.  I then replaced the settings, sounds, terrain, maps, sights, sticks folder with what I had backed up prior to wiping my disk.  

Things I didn't do, but not sure whether I need to.  DL latest VIA drivers.  I am thinking they are already resident on my ASUS A7V8X-X board from previous update.  Am I wrong??  Have not disable firewall yet that is complimentary from MS (LOL).  How do I?

I still need to load up Zonealarm and anti-virus software.

Thx for replies.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 01:02:04 PM »
Ammo,
VIA drivers do not reside on your mobo.  You should have installed them right after XP/SP1 or 2.  I would definitely do it now.  If you still have problems, you may have to reinstall the video drivers and DirectX.  The MS firewall should be disabled by default if you are using SP1.  If not or using SP2, right-click on your network connection/Properties/Advanced/uncheck box.
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 02:45:51 PM »
Still no worky.  I guess the thing to try now is uninstall all the Nividea driver and locate an older version.  My question is, how likely is it that my vid drivers will keep AH2 from starting?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 03:07:22 PM »
-ammo-, could you send me the output of DXDIAG?  Be sure to run the video and sound diagnostics before saving the information to send.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 03:09:13 PM »
Wierd. AH should work fine on XP :confused:

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Win XP Pro problem
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 04:04:25 PM »
first thought. your backup files for AH.. from a CDROM made for backup? then they are read only. change that.

try a fresh install of AH without bringing in your backup stuff.. just run offline with what comes installed to get it working.

the drivers for the sound card (SB live types) built into XP are not good... get the latest from SB. maybe 10 mb DL.

last, you mentioned the latest chipset drivers. what about the agp miniport drivers? update those possibly.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
solved
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 09:53:53 AM »
Well, I just thought that I had installed the latest vid driver.  I did execute the 6.1.7.7 series driver on my hard drive like I should have, and just after installing Windows.  But what I didn't do was uninstall the current driver first.  So I was fooled into thinking I had a successful install of the newest driver.  All I had to do is go confirm it, but as happens to often, I took it for granted.

Thx Skuzzy for the help