Author Topic: Going to Brazil  (Read 544 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Going to Brazil
« on: August 12, 2004, 12:17:12 PM »
We're spending new year's eve in Rio / Sao Paulo in Brazil. Just got our tickets (talk about a hole in my wallet...eeehhhh). I've never been to South America, so if you have advice, experience etc... please share.

I intend to bring back pictures of the thong fiesta beach...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »
My advice, take self defense course, carry little money, and try to figure out why you are going to a place with such a high crime rate.

Stay in well lit, well populated areas, and enjoy the beaches and the pretty girls.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 12:26:26 PM »
Sorry Saw but I have to agree with Dago. My fiancee was there for the annual IAF congress and while nothing happened to her, it was mainly because she always went in large groups and in popular areas.

FWIW, the general director of the European Space Agency was mugged while taking a stroll on the beach early in the morning while she was there...

If you have to go sightseeing, go in large groups and with a good guide.

Daniel

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Going to Brazil
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 12:28:41 PM »
When they kidnap you, will you pay the ransom in francs?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Going to Brazil
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:31:05 PM »
Who is "we"?  Are you taking a girlfriend or wife to Brazil?  Are you MAD?

The phrase "itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini" takes on a whole new meaning in Brazil.;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 12:31:54 PM »
Do they not get The Simpsons over in France?
-SW

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Going to Brazil
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 12:32:05 PM »
It all comes down to knowing what part of 'town" you are in. The same could be said about almost any large city in the US.

My wife and I were thinking about going to Belize for a vacation. Turns out they are having some sort of miniature civil war down there. Thats not the stuff that shows up on the travel agent's posters you know. The advice was stay in the resorts and you'll be fine. We went to Cozumel instead, but the police there do carry machine guns from time to time...just like they are doing in Manhatten right now

Rio is no different than NYC, there are some wonderful things to see and do there where you are as safe as you can be, just as there are some places you should not be after dark, and others you should not be period.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
Enjoy Saintaw :)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Going to Brazil
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 01:10:38 PM »
We're going with a small group, there'll be 5 of us... I'll be the only male. Does this mean I will have to bring my portable white flag with me? I grew up in a country with constant civil uprising... and my dad taught me to shoot... so I should be ok :p

We're pretty much set (logisticaly) got the address for car rental, and already booked the flat. We should be staying a week in Sao Paulo, and the other week in Rio.

If you don't hear from me again, I'm letting TOB have my p0rn collection.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 03:24:37 PM »
I go to Brazil about every other month and agree with Curval :)

Wow you are going to rent a car? Sao Paulo and Rio are both wild places to drive. Street and highway signs are poorly marked and it's a very confusing place to drive. You can find yourself in Indian Country very quickly if you get lost. Take the wrong exit off the highway in Rio and you end up in a Favela....Indian Country...the Apaches might get you.

Why Sao Paulo? Sao Paulo is pretty much a huge, boring, industrial city. In the state of Sao Paulo get a away from the city and go to Campos de Jordao in the mountains.

http://www.camposdojordao.com.br/

Rio has a lot to offer. Also be sure to visit Buzios and Angra dos Reis.

http://www.angra-dos-reis.com/ingles/

This is a pretty good source for travel, booking, and tours as well. The owner is from New York and is reputable. I know him and his company has arranged several things for me.

http://www.blameitonrio4travel.com/newsite2/index.html

Also, don't go around Rio with anything you don't mind too badly getting robbed. I've known a lot of folks that have been robbed. Just be ready for it if it happens. Stay in groups is the most important. Use a money clip and carry no more than just what you will need. Use the hotel safe.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:27:12 PM by rogwar »

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Going to Brazil
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 03:41:46 PM »
Thx for all the info rogwar!

We're going through Sao Paulo because the direct flights to Rio are double the price. We don't realy have a plan on what do do / where to go yet... so your links are most welcome!

We're all planning to wear thongs only... I figure they can't rob that from me without me noticing ;)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Going to Brazil
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 03:50:55 PM »
Whatever you do - dont bring back a massive and extremely poisonous spider and allow it to mate with a common dust spider in your barn.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »
 Does this mean I will have to bring my portable white flag with me?

You might be mistaken for a Frenchman if you did.  :rofl

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Going to Brazil
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 04:38:26 PM »
Walking around with too much money won't be a problem... I don't think I'll have any left after they bill me that plane ticket :(

Ah yes... and I have four months left to get me the basics in portugese... that ough to be fun!

Off to bed... thx for reminding me of the movie Arachnophobia Saur... THAT scares the living sh*t out of me more than an army of gringos trying to steal my thong... going to have nightmares tonight.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
Going to Brazil
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »
Hold on Saw!

We got an office and a plant in San Paulo!

If you've got that much of an imbalance on your hands, I could have to go do a factory audit around that time!

The President of our company got mugged outside the hotel on a trip last year.  But he goes there all the time, so he just figured he was due.