Author Topic: $155 plus labor my ***  (Read 1225 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« on: August 16, 2004, 05:54:16 PM »
My clothes dryer timer went bad and would constantly run the heating element, even when the dryer was off. The only way to turn it off was to trip the breaker. The appliance store quoted me $155 for the part and no warranty unless they installed.

Being a hardheaded individual, I chose an alternet course. I removed and disassembled the timer myself. I found a 5mm piece of plastic broken that was allowing the contacts to be constantly closed. A 5cent dab of plastic cement and it's good as new!

The timer looked like some 6th grade science fair entry with a motor, cam and 3 metal strip contacts. Johnson Controls must make a fortune off this crap... but not from me!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 06:03:12 PM »
I hope you have good fire insurance.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 06:41:02 PM »
rpm obviously you weren't being as creative as you could have been.

Picture this...and also note it would be a great centerpiece during football halftimes.....

Take your basic hamster cage and remove the metal exercise wheel. Place rubber gromets where the wheel and stand join. Replace the wheel to the stand.

Above the Hamster cage bring in the positive and negative leads to the drying element. Insert the 3 negative contacts to the inside of the Hampster cage.  Are you with me so far????

Take the positve lead and drape it over the wheel being careful that it DOES NOT touch the cage. But just within a 1/16th from the wheel *any less, 1/32, creates a nice blue spark and you're out of a Hamster.*

Entering the pet shop you have to be cool...don't blow it...observe the hampsters... weight and speed will prevail. Buy 6 at first. Include Duct tape and 12'' cardbord tubes to cover your actions.. The clerk will not question you.

Now at home you need an artistic hand to form a nice Foil helmet/hat...a Merlin style is best. and add 1...JUST 1 strand of good Copper wire to the top of the hat. Attach to Hamster, goggles would be cool for the hamster also.

You can buy over the counter antihistomines...take note it only takes a few shakes from the capsule into the water bottle.

20 minutes later, waaalaaa Hampster generated dry laundry.  Hook 6 of these bad boys together in a parallel and you got it made!!!

Friends will call you A KING! and If they should slowly fry...dab them in a nice steak sauce!

Now that's creative!!!  I'm dam near a frikken Genius!

:aok

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 07:39:39 PM »
Originally posted by Lizking
I hope you have good fire insurance.

Driers have built-in thermal fuses.  If the temp gets too hot the fuse melts and all power is disconnected.  This happens long before things get hot enough to start a fire.  About the only way a drier can catch fire is if it is filled with lint which somehow comes in contact with the heating element.  Very unlikely.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 07:41:38 PM »
good job rpm :aok

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 07:42:02 PM »
Yeah, Ra, like the thermal fuze blew and let the heating element stay on when the dryer wasn't running.  That means no air over element=high temp very quickly.

Hope you have good fire insurance.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:09:32 PM »
If the thermal fuse didn't blow it means the temp didn't get high enough.  The timer was the only thing broken.  The heater element thermostat was obviously working, keeping the temp at a set max, air or no air.  But if it had failed too the thermal fuse would have blown and shut the whole thing down.  If driers could catch fire that easily our cities would be going up in flames constantly.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 08:16:49 PM »
Good point.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 08:17:51 PM »
Mac, you're a SICK puppy!!!  :aok  :D :rofl
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 09:34:03 PM »
dryers are pretty easy to fix
even I work on mine - just alittle advice from the internet and a close Sears parts house  - poof
changed that thermal thingy and a belt in my whirlpool

washer is a different animal - if it gets sick twice and its out with the old, in with the new..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2004, 10:22:42 PM »
ROFLMAO Mac :aok
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 11:12:22 PM »
WTG, RPM.  You are now also responsible for shipping a job overseas.

By doing it yourself, you have lessened the need for the repair company to retain the repairman.

I guess it's ok to tell other people what to do with their money by telling where or when they should employ people, but when it's your money, you choose not to hire or employ a US repairman, where that money would be circulated back into the economy.

I hope that the plactic cement was at least made in the US.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 11:38:48 PM »
Stringer, I see quite the opposite. Johnson Controls has shipped thousands of manufacturing jobs overseas. This particular timer bore a "Hecho en Mexico" sticker.

The VersaChem Plastic Welding Epoxy was made in Florida. I always try to buy American whenever possible.

I pumped money back into the US economy a month ago when I bought the epoxy and screwed an evil corporation out of $155 for their offshore account today.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 01:35:33 AM »
I think its time for a new avatar.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 01:58:03 AM »
lol saur :lol