Author Topic: Bomb Selection/Gunner Bug  (Read 240 times)

Offline magic2n

• Zinc Member
Bomb Selection/Gunner Bug
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:55:55 PM »
Take a JU-88 with 4 x 500k bombs and 20 x 50k bombs.  The 4 x 500k bombs default to be the first  group of bombs to be dropped.  Select the second set of bombs (20 x 50k bombs) to be the first group of bombs to be dropped.  Jump to a gunner position, then return to the pilot's position.  The bomb selector now shows the 4 x 500k bombs (the default group) to be selected without you having touched the bomb selector.

This becomes a problem if you have decided to drop the smaller bombs first with a short bomb release delay.  If you are on the bomb sight preparing to drop, jump to a gun position to defend yourself and then jump back to the bomb sight to release the bombs.  In my case, I released the large bombs with a 0.05 second delay instead of a 0.30 second delay (my standard for the largwer bombs).  The resulting hit attern did not straddle the target as I had planned.

Since, writing this report early this morning, I have verified that this problem is not unique to JU-88.  It appears that any airplane that has at least one gunner position and a mixed bomb or bomb/rocket load has this problem.  I have found it on the A-20, IL-2, SBD and Val.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bomb Selection/Gunner Bug
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 03:12:50 PM »
Yeah, I reported this a while back. No confirmation (HTC = busy). Hope it gets fixed, too.