Author Topic: So would you ever get off an airplane??  (Read 723 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
So would you ever get off an airplane??
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 04:22:47 PM »
if its good enough for the pilot, its good enough for me.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2004, 04:42:49 PM »
I have gotten up and left Doctor and Dentist offices, walked away from checkout lines after nonsense, etc.  On an airplane, I will trust the pilot, since there is no other real choice.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2004, 05:54:39 PM »
I would leave because of people ,most likely not because of looks.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2004, 06:31:31 PM »
Originally posted by MrLars
Only once did I think about it.

While boarding a Tu154 in Moscow for a trip to the Komi Republic several of our party had reservations about the a/c. The tires looked like they were worn to the threads, small pools of what could have been hydraulic fluid spotted the ground around the main gear and a exterior that looked it hadn't been cleaned in years.

On the way up the stairs we saw the pilot arrive dressed in a knee length leather 'duster' complete with a white silk scarf around his neck and leather shoulder pouch.

The interior was pretty ratty looking with torn seats and badly scratched windows. This particular a/c had a plexiglass nose conversion for use as a bomber if needed.

The weather was hot and humid so when he started the engines and finaly kicked on the cabin air the outflow from the 'spiggots' looked like smoke because of the water vapor.

Getting off this a/c wasn't an option since it was a charter flight and the next flight to our destination of Usinsk would have been ten days away.

That was the most stressfull flight I can remember because the whole flight people were mentioning the looks of the tires, when we finaly stopped after landing there was a collective sigh of relief from most passengers.

Back in the late 70's I was on a C47 in Honduras that developed an oil leak in the starboard engine, all I realy rember about that flight was saying to myself "hurry up and land" over and over...what a slow ride.

After deplaining the pilot got out, looked at the engine and wiped something with a rag and tightened something with a wrench then got back in and took off with a thin trail of blue smoke behind him, at the time I thought he was a brave soul.

Then there were the DeHav Beavers we flew in during the Valdez spill....but I'll need a bunch of beer to start yacking about those times.

I've never thought of questioning the mechanical reliability of commercial jetliners here in the states, I guess it's because I've experienced some of the worst examples from other countrys.

I can share the experience. I've flown some pieces of **** during my time. When I lived in Louisville doing the CFI thing, I flew a paste and glue special C182. Now i've flown some pieces of **** over the years, but this 1 had a special distinction. It was a juryrig of pep-boys parts, relays and other electrical work - with a transponder that worked 5 % of the time, 1 vor and no DME. A true VFR dream. 1 day while doing a long cross country upto chicago then cleveland, our cig lighter came loose and began to spark. Imagine diving a 182 from 12,000 to the deck within just over a minute. Yes, we were redline and probally a little bit past. So, thats my limit. It can be ragedy, it can look like it went through a storm of seagull crap - but never again. Thats the lesson learned.

Wolfala

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2004, 07:41:18 PM »
That 182 sounded a bit like the 172 that picked me up at Memphis once. It was the flying school hack and looked like it already crashed.  The plastic panel cover kept coming loose and falling onto the yoke. It smelled funny and made odd noises. But it flew.

I would step off a plane but then I'm a pilot and have worked in aircraft maintenance  so I know what to look for. I remember once helping an aircraft engineer to tape up a false work panel with duct tape (200 mph tape!!!)  on the wing of a 727 as people boarded. We got some funny looks. But it was quite safe. Many an aeroplane has flown with lots of duct tape holding something in place.

Sparks,
Ryanair may be a lot of things but maintenance is not one of their bad points. They have some scruffy and old 732's. But they are being retired now and replaced by brand new -800's. But I remember one story from a Ryanair pilot I knew. A First Officer was doing a pre-flight at night, when he noticed something odd about one of the wheels. He couldn't quite figure out what it was. But when he went back to the flight deck the Captain was chuckling. He had heard on the radio that someone had lost a whole brake assembly on the runway. 'Ah' says the FO, 'I think I know who lost it'. :lol . I don't fly Ryanair either but for other reasons like overbooking a flight and then closing it while you're in the queue to check in and making you pay extra for the next flight. Screwing you at every opportunity for extra money and for the way they've begun to treat the pilots. Which is the scary part.  

The truth is most western airlines are quite safe. It's when you go to the third world airlines you have to watch out.

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2004, 08:05:51 PM »
"Gentlemen, the flight crew and I just wanted to give you a heads up, that we have a minor hydralic leak.  Now it's a short hop up to Yokoska and we are very confident in the airplane.  If you don't share our confidence, please see the dispatcher for the next scheduled flight".

Got this briefing on the tarmac from the pilot of a C-130 I was catching a hop on prior to boarding.  I got on.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Re: So would you ever get off an airplane??
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2004, 09:12:30 PM »
Originally posted by Sparks
So my question is would any of you, with the boarding card in your hand turn round and get off or refuse to board a commercial plane due to percieved condition or people on board ??

If I thought the flight crew was drunk or high, yes.
If I noticed something obviously wrong with the airplane and didn't get a satisfactory answer from the flight crew, yes.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 04:35:51 AM »
Originally posted by AKWeav
"Gentlemen, the flight crew and I just wanted to give you a heads up, that we have a minor hydralic leak.  Now it's a short hop up to Yokoska and we are very confident in the airplane.  If you don't share our confidence, please see the dispatcher for the next scheduled flight".

Got this briefing on the tarmac from the pilot of a C-130 I was catching a hop on prior to boarding.  I got on.

i would not worry either in a c-130 unless a wing was missing

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 06:30:40 AM »
Those here talking about not getting in because of other's looks make me laugh... do you realy believe that your evil terrorist will be wearing sandals and a towel on his head? heh...

I flew on planes in Congo, Rwanda and Ethiopia you would not trust to take off... but we were lucky the pilot was sober enough to show up that week, and didn't want to wait another month for the trip back home.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 08:41:56 AM »
Would not be the first time...

As we were boarding I saw the oil pooled in the inlet, and dripping form the cowling, when I asked the ground crew about it, he stated it was from the breather valve. That is when I decided not to board.

PS:

I have had my A&P for 20 plus years.
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 09:25:07 AM »
What a bunch of chickens! I'll bet none of you pick up hitchhikers either.
:rolleyes:

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 09:31:25 AM »
While Leaving Dhahran Saudi Arabia we waited in the processing line for the DC-10 to land. It was arriving from Philadelphia. I thought, it was a long flight and was going to take a while to turn around. As I watched the guys got off the plane there bags were placed on the tarmac and the jet was refueled. I never noticed any maintenance done or any checks inside any of the panels. I never questioned the flight and boarded "Military and had no choice but to board". We flew to Germany for fuel and then back to Philadelphia where I had to catch another few flights to CA. While waiting for my next flight I noticed that there were a new load of troops going back on the very same jet. This was its third nonstop trip across the Atlantic and to the desert (That I knew of).

I get from this that these aircraft are very reliable. And unless there is a problem they don’t even stop them until a routine maintenance interval is reached. I did have some reservations after seeing the new batch about to board. Made me wonder if they ever did maintain these birds or just fly them till they have probs.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 10:20:25 AM »
Originally posted by Heater
Would not be the first time...

As we were boarding I saw the oil pooled in the inlet, and dripping form the cowling, when I asked the ground crew about it, he stated it was from the breather valve. That is when I decided not to board.

PS:

I have had my A&P for 20 plus years.

Interesting. What plane and engine type? If you were boarding it must have been a lower wing mounted engine, like a 757 or a 737 etc, and the ground crew must have been on the jetbridge to talk too which seems odd.

Not being a smartass, I'm just curious, where with your experience would you think that oil  could come from that would pool in the engine inlet?

Oh, I I'd never get off myself unless something was onfire, but two guys on a flight from Miami got off when I came on board to defer a tray table, said the the flight was unsafe and they saw oil stains in the carpet and thought the engine was leaking. True story.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2004, 10:32:12 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
It's when you go to the third world airlines you have to watch out.
I know how that feels. I had to swallow hard when travelling on Indonesia's national airline, Garuda, from Jakarta to Denpasar - shortly after the Garuda crash near Mindanao. It was a new looking A330, so I got on anyway. Twas OK, but I didn't touch the food.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 08:57:49 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
Interesting. What plane and engine type? If you were boarding it must have been a lower wing mounted engine, like a 757 or a 737 etc, and the ground crew must have been on the jetbridge to talk too which seems odd.

Not being a smartass, I'm just curious, where with your experience would you think that oil  could come from that would pool in the engine inlet?

Oh, I I'd never get off myself unless something was onfire, but two guys on a flight from Miami got off when I came on board to defer a tray table, said the the flight was unsafe and they saw oil stains in the carpet and thought the engine was leaking. True story.

Creamo,

It was 737-300 and we were boarding via the ramp, i.e. no jetway, we were standing in line waiting to board when I saw it... one of the ground handlers was who I pointed it out to, in this case it was the leak was bad (dripping from the underside of the cowling also) as for what it was, I would think the carbon seal for the bearings on the fan or the pressure tube leading to the bearing. If you want I will try and find the mishap report, I think I still have a copy of it.
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!