Author Topic: Vote Landslide Bush or You're Fired!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Vote Landslide Bush or You're Fired!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 04:53:05 PM »
Has boosh stolen the election yet? Has he? Has he?? Ha? Hah? has he yet?

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2004, 06:39:42 PM »
Besides If I own a company..I can fire anyone I want for any reason I want and I shouldn't have to explain myself..It's my company...

So they were justified

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2004, 08:51:40 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
Besides If I own a company..I can fire anyone I want for any reason I want and I shouldn't have to explain myself..It's my company...

You'd better be in a "right to work" state, that and have a non-union workplace.  Because, otherwise, you have to have a damn good reason to can someone, otherwise it's lawsuit city.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 08:59:34 PM »
Glen Hiller, 35, of Berkeley Springs was ushered out of Hedgesville High School on Tuesday....

Cancel the Prom Glen..... Focus on graduation next year!

:aok

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2004, 09:20:15 PM »
"Freedom of Speech does not garuntee Freedom from consequences."

I hear this one lots, but never know what it's trying to say. You could apply the same line to China, for eg.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2004, 09:48:47 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
"Freedom of Speech does not garuntee Freedom from consequences."

I hear this one lots, but never know what it's trying to say. You could apply the same line to China, for eg.

Nash, that's just silly.  Please don't be obtuse, it doesn't become you.

Are you implying that people can say whatever they wish without responsibility?

I'm going to a job interview.  I know that most of the engineers at said company are all Aggies.  The first words out of my mouth are, "You know, I really think that all Aggies are just dumb rednecks who like to have sex with animals."

Think I'll get the job?  Probably not.  Even if it is simply because I probably will not fit well into the established environment.

It's called Freedom of Speech, i.e. you can express yourself, it's not freedom from responsibility of your speech.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2004, 10:58:42 PM »
Are you implying that people can say whatever they wish without responsibility?

And you're callin' me obtuse?

Your analogy about calling a potential employer a goat lover is exactly 100% typical of the kind of spasmodic mental gestures (regurgitation) that so often parades as actual thought on this BBS that, by mere virtue of its repetition is somehow supposed to lend it, like, actual unassailable meaning. Well.... unh uh..

The guy who got canned basically has the 'zact same job as I do. We get lots of clients that we're not particularly thrilled about. But we give voice to them because we understand that clients deserve their say, and barring any laws to the contrary, can say whatever the hell they want. And we'll do it as professionally and as effectively as we can. That we don't agree with their message/product/etc. doesn't matter and doesn't enter into it.

There's a huge difference here.

Because the client in this case has nothing to do with what the designer said at this rally. And it reflected on the client in no way. There was no negative repurcussion nor connection to them.... It was just some guy saying stuff at a rally. I get loads of tickets to games, for example - should I be wary about rooting for the away team? Right....

No matter how you slice it, he got canned simply because the client disagrees with his opinion. And that's pretty much wannabe tyrannical bulchit lameness.

They didn't like what the guy said or what he believes in. They're jerks.

"Be careful what you say." - Ari Fleischer

This is what you are saying..... and I come at this from 100 different angles and still don't get it. Well, I do... but it aint pretty. It is:

""Freedom of Speech does not garuntee Freedom from consequences."

Which is retarded.

"Graduates had been warned during rehearsal on Thursday that they faced arrest if - as was rumored - some stood up and turned their backs on Bush during his speech." On the day of the commencement, an announcer told the graduates that "anyone demonstrating or heckling would be subject to expulsion and arrest. The announcer urged that Bush be greeted with a 'thunderous' ovation." (AP 6/14/02)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2004, 11:07:01 PM »
His employer made the decision and fired him, no?

Freedom of speech allows the client to express his/her displeasure at the mans actions, no?

"When he showed up for work at Octavo Designs of Frederick, Md., the following morning, he said he was told he'd embarrassed and offended a client who provided tickets to the event - and that he was fired. "

So your beef is with the company and not the client..

Though I dont think he should have been fired, it does seem that it's the company's right to make that decision.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2004, 11:13:59 PM »
Hell yeah it's the company's right... just the same as it's the guy's right to sue for BS dismissal. Whatever, it's a wash.

But just wtf about all this makes it right? Why would you defend this crap? I wouldn't fire a conservative for being one. The entire thing is lame.

And this responsibility of speech mantra dressed up as common sense couldn't be any more remotely removed from it.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2004, 11:23:04 PM »
You talking to me Nash?  I dont think it was right that they fired him.. But thats the company's decision, its their legal right.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2004, 11:25:34 PM »
I go to New York.  I want to sell 'I Luv New York' t-shirts on the street.  I tell everyone I meet in New York (including possible customers) that I hate all New Yorkers.

Amazingly I don't sell many shirts.  Obviously it is becuase I'm being violated for my first admendment rights to free speech.  I'm going to sue everyone in New York.

Far fetched?  Not from what you are saying.

I have an advertising firm.  Greenpeace hires my company to do some PR for the about saving the whales.  At one of the affairs a couple of my people hired and on company time stand outside wearing 'Whales, the other white meat' t-shirts.  Greenpeace is pissed and lets me know just how pissed they are.  I fire the company bozos.

Free speech you say.  Not in those circumstances.

Bottom line.  There are consequences for your actions including 'free' speech.

Remember, it's free because you have the right to say it.  Free as in 'we won't stop you from saying it, you dumbsh8t, even though you may alienate everyone on the freaking planet for saying it.'
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2004, 11:26:05 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
You talking to me Nash?  I dont think it was right that they fired him.. But thats the company's decision, its their legal right.

Was it legal? I'm not sure about that...

But so what.

There's two dozen things you could have said about all of it... And you choose this.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 11:26:38 PM »
"Graduates had been warned during rehearsal on Thursday that they faced arrest if - as was rumored - some stood up and turned their backs on Bush during his speech." On the day of the commencement, an announcer told the graduates that "anyone demonstrating or heckling would be subject to expulsion and arrest. The announcer urged that Bush be greeted with a 'thunderous' ovation." (AP 6/14/02)

Last month, Charleston City Council apologized to two protesters arrested for wearing anti-Bush T-shirts to the president's July 4 rally. The pair were taken from the event in restraints after revealing T-shirts with Bush's name crossed out on the front and the words "Love America, Hate Bush" on the back. Trespassing charges were ultimately dismissed.

This is George Bush's America.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 11:29:22 PM »
Originally posted by rpm371
This is George Bush's America.

Including the economy.  Remember, Clinton was the only reason the economy was good.  It's all Bush's fault.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 11:30:26 PM »
Drunky your analogies still don't hit the mark. This guy was fired not for anything other than the fact that the client disagreed with this guy's views.

Had nothing to do with anything else.