Author Topic: P-40E Dikam Death  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 07:17:03 AM »
also on real p40s the exhaust stains follow the airflow... they rise up to about where those kill flags are and arc back with about the same curve as the top of the wing. also on olive drab camo schemes the exhaust seems to be lighter than the olive drab on this one.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 07:26:06 AM »
Great skin, Cobra!

I'm looking forward to it.

The exhaust stains show on the picture you posted, btw.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 07:47:39 AM »
Thanks for the info Citabria.  I did notice what your talking about as far as the exhaust and the airflow last night.  I really wasn't happy with the exhaust and how it came it to start with.  In the top original photo the exhaust stain is darker than on the photo you posted.  

I'm not sure if his bird was just running richer than your photo or not.  It actually looks as if it's almost a forked tongue on my original photo also.  With the top portion of the fork being longer than the bottom.

One other thing I noticed is the exhaust stacks on the P-40s are a washed out black with some indication of white discoloration.  I'm still working on this so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the input also Glen...

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 08:09:02 AM »
looks like its darker on the edges and llighter in the center where although in black and white looks same color as olive drab its probably a chalked tan color.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 12:37:48 PM »
Cobra,

The stacks start out plain steel, which can be a dark oily black.  Sometimes they are more silver steel but the ones in your picture are dark and the ones on the Wanaka P40 are dark, too.  No paint will stand the heat, they are not painted.

Depending on their age, they will weather to a buff-rust color, or. like your photo, the stacks with exhaust running over them will be the exhaust color, kind of a buff-metallic on dark airplanes and a dark-metallic gray on light airplanes.  Take a look at the exhaust manifold on your car, the color is close ( it is on mine, anyway ).

Fuel additives, oil, carbon all contribute.  The exhaust is a wierd oil-looking stuff that is extremely hard to get off.  You have to use a solvent of some kind.  It has a definite metallic tinge and is almost transparent.  It takes an engine problem, ie spewing oil, an extremely rich engine, or a long period of inattention to get a really dark streak.  Typically, on Gunfighter, the exhaust is washed off at the end of the season.  The airplane flies about 300 hours a year and the exhaust streak is visible, but not dark black, by the end of the season.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2004, 07:25:33 PM »
I'll be doing a bit of changes tonight on the exhaust stacks and the exhaust stain itself. I'll post them to see what you guys think.  Thanks again for all the info it really helps out alot.  

Offline AaronM2

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2004, 07:27:27 PM »
hurry up LOL j/k i love your skins :D get it on Ah skins fast HEHEHE ;) AND STOP DOING ALL THE SKINS:p  j/k your good keep it up:aok

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »
Updates.  The first one just because I think it looks cool.

General area of exhaust flow over wings. Still needs work I think.  Maybe a little hint of black?

Same just opposite side.

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 09:55:19 PM »
Nah, I think more brown than black.  Although, looking at it the Wanaka P40 is really clse to what you've done.  It Looks great...

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 12:50:46 AM »
Hiya Glen..Thanks for the reply.  I went make and made a minor change.  I used your input as far as using a brownish color in it.  I'll try and post it later on.  I'm sure folks are sick of all the pics.  I'm kind of satisfied with the top wing weathering.  I need to do a little on the leading edges of the wing, horizontal and add some gun smoke residue.  

Once all that is done I'll begin working on the under side of the bird.   I have to figure out how to get rid of HTs circular US insignia though.  Then finish up the panel lines, gear well area and basics on the bottom.  Then all I've got to do is put the finishing touches on the tire and rim.  Thanks again for your inputs I really do appreciate them.  

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2004, 12:55:19 AM »
How 'bout making the eyes red?  :D

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »
lol TBolt..I'll have to ask Ringup so he can ask Mr. Gale if that would be authentic..I'd really like to stay as close to authentic as possible.  I will ask the question though.  This particular version of aircraft is also an N5 version.  Had it been an N1 then I could have probably gotten away with the skin.  I still have yet to get any kind of reply from HTC to see if they'll allow it.  The N5 was extended a bit and had a noticably different aft canopy area.  It was actually laid back opposed to how ours is.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »
Oh I have a correction to the story in the beginning.  After reviewing Mr. Gales records for the month of July.  He was officially credited with one Oscar and one Hamp on that day while flying a P-40N5 out of BC-Myit-Fwd airfield.  Not two zeros as one other unofficial record has stated.  The official record was certified by Major George B. Hamilton, Operations Officer, 88th FS.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 03:09:55 AM »
Originally posted by Cobra412
TB this paint scheme is actually from a P-40N but it's on the AH P-40E.  There are some differences in the two birds but I felt it was worth doing considering it's my squad mates Uncle.

That's one of the best looking skins I've seen and the real life nose art is one of the coolest I've ever seen.

Little known fact, with the exception of the P-38, the P-40 was flown by more aces than the P-47 and the P-51D in the PTO/CBI theater.  And the majority of those aces in the P-47 and the P-51 were already aces when they were still in the P-40.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
P-40E Dikam Death
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 08:39:26 AM »
it looks good except for the spot between the nose and the mouth looks too long.