Author Topic: Farewell Aces High  (Read 2042 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2004, 01:54:41 PM »
Nah, it just makes him a big pansie like that Eagl guy! :p
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2004, 01:58:03 PM »
no he is quitting cause the moderator in the CT muted him for 60 mins for saying waaaaaaaaaaa.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 01:59:06 PM »
So... that means he'll be back in a year or whenever TOD starts?
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
I'm not certain this is about the BBS
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2004, 02:03:59 PM »
You know, I haven't seen his posts being edited for content or deleted. I actually haven't seen him step out of bounds. I MAY have missed it, but he and I had some pointed disagreements and he never once was anything but decent, regardless of how vehemently we disagree.

This may not be about the BBS.

This MAY be about the "radio" in the game.

I did get muted for "language" in a rather heated but actually fairly clean (at least with regards to foul language) arguement the other night, but it most certainly was not with X2Lee. I think the worst thing I said was prettythang. I felt it was a little childish and heavy handed, but it ain't MY game. It was a heated arguement, and neither of us was even close to pleasant. Both were muted, I got over it, he ( NOT X2Lee ) whined about it the rest of the night.

Perhaps he got muted or ejected from the game itself and felt it was excessive.

I do not know anything about what happened, nor do I have any details about any incident that MAY have caused this, I am merely offering an alternative explanation.

If he does not want to discuss it, and wants to leave, it is his choice. He is a good pilot and a good guy. We are lessened by his departure.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2004, 02:26:19 PM »
Sorry to see this X2Lee, Always a class act

Newbs
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2004, 02:30:34 PM »
This might be a bit off topic, but since x2lee's gone, he won't notice or mind, right?

This isn't a slam against HTC, so read the whole thing before you get mad and then take it for what it's worth (probably not much) :)

I've personally noticed that the "community" in the arena seems a lot smaller now that ch 1 is gone and the moderators are more aggressive.  The only people I talk to in the arena are people in my squad and those in the flying zoo, and occasionally a couple other people in the country who I know or who say hi.  Everything else is essentially squelched due to no ch 1 and fear of moderation.

Being unable to squelch the radio contributes to this because I find myself thinking *just shut up!* which makes me even less likely to verbally interact with other players.

I know it had to be done because of people abusing the original open communication channels, but for me it makes the killing much less personal.  Opponents are no longer real live pilots to be destroyed, feared, or respected.  Instead, they're just icons to be fragged without a second thought because we'll never exchange anything more meaningful than gunfire.

I used to enjoy getting the occasional *finger* from someone I'd bounced and then shot in the chute (hehe), but it's just not worth the effort anymore since they're not real people.  There's just no communication between countries and that's dribbled over to less communication within countries too.  I got bounced by some dude, never saw him coming, and had no easy way to ask where he came from and tell him that he's very sneeky.  How does "salute" express "You sneeky bastage!  where did you come from?  Nice shot, but check 6 because I'm looking for you this time".  No kill messages on the buffer anymore, so nobody but us noticed the kill and it was totally impersonal for both of us.

Of course in my work I'm used to a harder "edge" to personal interaction and stuff that gets threads locked/deleted and people banned or muted is just another day at the office, because we can't afford to pull punches in our business or people die.  Here, it's not people's lives that are at stake, rather the existence of HTC is at stake.  Without HTC there is no game.

The original game (CK/WB and even early AH) had a bit of that edge but as the community grew and got too big for everyone to know everyone else, people took it too far.  I remember back when hatch (byngtn) used to go online and stir up quite a bit of hate himself, and it was pretty much encouraged by the company because it kept the arena interesting for the old hats.  When was the last time HT or Pyro jumped into the arena with a fake id, got a few people angry enough to challenge them to a duel, then whomped up on them in a fair fight?  It just won't happen because the customer base isn't the same.  We used to be able to handle that, shrug it off with a good laugh and a "dude you got me good!", and buy a beer at the con.  Not anymore.  I was mad as hell at hatch when he lured me into a duel then cheated at the merge every time, but it sure seemed funny later on plus I learned a few things about how simple "cheats" at a merge can determine a fight before really gets started.  Good clean fun.

The USAF is facing a similiar trend and fighting it tooth and nail.  We call these kids "SNAPs" for Sensitive New Age Pilots, and they're learning the hard way that when your actions determine life and death for both your wingmen and the people on the ground you are going to kill, you better be able to take hard core full frontal feedback with your ego checked at the door.

Which is why AH is a game, bringing me to my real point -  I think HTC would have a lot more customer relations problems without the moderators and other behavioral modification policies.  So knowing that I'm giving you a false dilemma, I'll ask you:  What would the majority of customers prefer?  An unmoderated arena that is full of intolerable verbal abuse, or a moderation scheme that occasionally seems to be too twitchy?

I guess this reply is not entirely off topic then.

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
The USAF is facing a similiar trend and fighting it tooth and nail.  We call these kids "SNAPs" for Sensitive New Age Pilots, and they're learning the hard way that when your actions determine life and death for both your wingmen and the people on the ground you are going to kill, you better be able to take hard core full frontal feedback with your ego checked at the door.

Which is why AH is a game, bringing me to my real point -  I think HTC would have a lot more customer relations problems without the moderators and other behavioral modification policies.  So knowing that I'm giving you a false dilemma, I'll ask you:  What would the majority of customers prefer?  An unmoderated arena that is full of intolerable verbal abuse, or a moderation scheme that occasionally seems to be too twitchy?

A good post.

I like the unmoderated "peer pressure only" arenas. My favorite places to hang out (like BigWeek) are unmoderated and while things might get nasty for a bit, the combination of group pressure and the passage of time mellows most all abuse.

A squelch detector might be nice too--Someone gets squelched by a certain amount of people and they are bounced for a period of time.

I'm sure we'll hear the "what about the children?" comebacks about this but I wouldn't be a bit sad to "lose" the kids or at least have their parents sign a waiver for those under 18.

The less active moderation, the better.

...and Tommy, stay in touch on the Main list!

h

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 02:46:10 PM »
the girl PW'd him .. he had to blame something so he choose the BBS - LOL
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 02:56:02 PM »
Does quitting the game make him a Runny Bunny?
Read again what I wrote. Where the heck did I call him Runny Bunny? Looks like comprehension is not your strength.

Really, I'm not sure.  I can't keep track of the terms you kids are using.
Yes Granpa, my children are probably older than you.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2004, 03:01:36 PM »
LOL 2bighorn, I wasn't even responding to you.  I was making a reference to that other thread where anyone whining about how the game hurt their feelings was a runny bunny.  There were several posts in this thread before I added my post so I'm not sure why you thought I was taking aim at you in particular.  In fact, I think we posted pretty much simultaneously, having come to nearly the same conclusion about this thread in general.

I guess making asinine snide comments is your personal strength?  (see how this doesn't help the discussion?  Take notes bighorn, HT's giving a test on flaming later on)

But if the shoe fits, go ahead and wear it :aok
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 03:06:32 PM by eagl »

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2004, 03:18:09 PM »
I mean, seriously, Where the hell do you come off saying something like

Looks like comprehension is not your strength.

Are your social communication skills so menial that the very first thing you have to say directly to me includes a statement as moronic as that?

And back to your original message, you DID call x2lee "chief runny bunny", x2lee DID make a fool of himself in another thread by trying to taunt players who have complaints by calling them "runny bunny", and so when x2lee himself comes up with a complaint and an "I quit" message, does it not in fact make sense that maybe he is finding himself looking at the whole thing from a slightly different perspective?  Might a reasonable person think it ironic that someone who was so vocal in his taunts is now the one complaining and quitting, and therefore lightly suggest that his old taunts may apply to him too?

And taking a page from your conversational book, here comes the asinine snide comment:  ...Or was all that beyond your grade level?

See how the snide comment does nothing but add needless irritation?  As a subject for discussion, the art of degrading snide comments (or as my mother used to say "put-downs") is interesting but maybe this wasn't the place for your gratuitous put-down especially as you fired the first shot.

Think about it.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2004, 03:26:11 PM »
eagl

you back in MA or CT or just the h2h rooms?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2004, 03:27:30 PM »
...I've personally noticed that the "community" in the arena seems a lot smaller now that ch 1 is gone and the moderators are more aggressive....

Ch.1 is not really gone, just moved to Ch.200.  

...and I have not noticed any moderation, at least none more than usual.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2004, 03:32:32 PM »
Heya eagler

I'm easing back into the MA.  I played some h2h before AH2 and flew some AH2 beta, then came back in the MA when AH2 went live.  I haven't been 100% happy with how my system handled the graphics even though it was more than playable, so I've been sorta holding back a bit until I got my new vid card.  It showed up today - an eVGA 6800 GT, and I'll have to see if that does the trick.  Thank goodness newegg ships to APO addresses, because even if the shipping charges are a bit high it's cheaper/better than waiting an extra 6 months and paying in pounds.

I shouldn't post when I get home from work...  I tend to fully articulate what's on my mind and that usually isn't a good thing in here.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Farewell Aces High
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2004, 03:49:45 PM »
Furious,

Most of the players I've wanted to talk to do not tune ch 200, and it seems like a lot of the time the only people who are tuning 200 are just there to taunt.  Ch 1 as a default "everyone" channel had a higher signal/noise ratio even just a year or two ago.

If there was a .F xxxx command (*finger*) I might feel like using the salute command a bit more.  Losing in a cool dogfight is a great reason to use *salute*, getting your c-47 shot down half a sector from home field out in the middle of nowhere after dropping your troops following a 1.5 hour flight, is a good reason to use *finger* since that pretty much sums up that particular kill :)

Or maybe a .d xxxx (*doh!*) command would be better as it acknowledges the ludicrous nature of the kill and my utter lack of awareness or ability to defend myself in that situation.

Either way though, it's just an icon that shot me before I saw it.  He didn't giggle on ch 1, didn't private msg me "dude you awake now? :)", nothing.  Just a sanitary exchange of gunfire, nothing that might offend anyone.  Pretty safe I guess.

There are horror stories about the moderation though, and it sounds like (from his point of view) that something like that is what bit x2lee.  When you hear about a guy getting muted for a good-natured "dude, you SUCK!", it puts a damper on even fun banter between people who have known each other for years.  I can't even type "drex sucks" in the buffer because the moderator might not know I'm kidding or think it's appropriate.  I've been auto-muted in the past for inadvertant misspellings (misspell accountable and yer in trouble!) and it only takes a few of those to get labelled a troublemaker and booted.

Like I said before though, the moderation is better than the no-moderation alternative and it's absolutely necessary for HTC's business.