Author Topic: Will she be there?  (Read 325 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Will she be there?
« on: August 24, 2004, 07:29:53 AM »
source
GOP official angers father
By C.W. Randolph

On Sunday, Aug. 14, my wife and I took our son to Austin to report for duty as one of the 3,000 Texas National Guard members called up for active service for operation “Iraqi Freedom.” He reported for duty as ordered at 0800 at the Armory on E. 51st Street in Austin.

While my son and my views are about the same on this war, he understands that he does have an obligation to fulfill his contract with the National Guard. He will serve with pride with his unit wherever they are sent in the Middle East.

I have and will support the troops now and in the future who are stationed throughout the Middle East.

So, what am I so steamed up about? Simply this:

Families of the departing soldiers were invited to a ceremony and dinner in honor of those called up for duty. At 4 p.m., 81 soldiers and approximately 300 members of their families gathered in a large hangar. The ceremonies began. Various commanders and military leaders were introduced, as well as several local government official. But the last “dignitary” introduced was an official of the Republican Party for Travis County.

I was absolutely appalled that the Republicans of Texas would dare to use such an occasion to politicize the ceremony – or that the leaders in the Texas National Guard would even allow this. By placing this person at a head table, it was an endorsement of an outright blatant display of partisan politics.

You couldn’t miss this person. She was wearing a red, white and blue blouse with a cowboy hat that had red, white and blue ribbons hanging off the back of the hat, which was weighted down with campaign buttons of the Bush-Cheney campaign.

I wanted to throw up.

It was tactless, disgusting and repugnant. Shame on the leadership of the Texas National Guard. Shame on the Travis County Republicans.

My son, who has been in the Army for eight years and in the Guard for two years, said that if this is the type of leadership they have going over to Iraq, then he is already worried. Now he wonders if it is good for what needs to be done or is it good for somebody’s political agenda.

I have only one questions for this person from the Travis County Republican Party: If my son comes home in a flag-draped coffin, will she be at that ceremony also?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 07:34:36 AM »
Looks like we  have a new Cut-n-paste king! Welcome brother!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 07:41:16 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Looks like we  have a new Cut-n-paste king! Welcome brother!

I am not worthy!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 10:16:54 AM »
You'll always be the c-n-p King, Rip, but perhaps RPM can be your queen!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 10:21:10 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
You'll always be the c-n-p King, Rip, but perhaps RPM can be your queen!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 10:27:02 AM »
RPM...if he asks you to squeel like a pig...run, run like the wind!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »
The C-in-C is Republican.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 10:49:33 AM »
Originally posted by SOB
RPM...if he asks you to squeel like a pig...run, run like the wind!

Why didn't you finish that sentence?  "Run, run like the wind, BULLSEYE!"

:p

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 10:52:16 AM »
If this story is all it appears to be, then yeah, that was tasteless opportunism, at best, and shameful, at worst.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 11:07:28 AM »
maybe the democrat official was invited and refused to show because they do not support the war in Iraq?

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Will she be there?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 11:47:02 AM »
Originally posted by slimm50
If this story is all it appears to be, then yeah, that was tasteless opportunism, at best, and shameful, at worst.

That was my take on it. Wrong time and place to be pandering votes.
Stay thirsty my friends.