Author Topic: Waffle's Soundpack 1.8  (Read 3214 times)

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
!
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 08:23:22 PM »
I LIKE IT WTG WAFFLE!!!!!!!!!:aok

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 09:09:39 PM »
I tried mixing some sounds from your soundpack with ones from mitsu's, but your sounds are so quiet. I changed the stall buzzer, but could barely hear it over my engine. I turned the stall horn sound up to 100% and could still barely hear it. I guess the only way to really enjoy all of your sounds is use your whole pack.
why cant u do updates? why must we download the whole thing over and over again?

I agree, long download for things ya already have :) I would rather manually place them in there

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 01:14:52 AM »
Well, from an audio quality standpoint, the reason that they are so quite is that I want to leave the whole waveform intact. Everyone always ends up "boosting" the sounds digitally and it causes a "clipping" of sorts. Granted, I could turn everything up, but it would end up sounding like "arse".

literally. loud distorted sounds, no clarity.

Granted, I know the majority of you don't care about the "science" that goes into audio processing, but I do it for a living, and decided to mix up a little sounds pack for my enjoyment. I figured most would enjoy it also.

But here's a visual to help:

heres a wave of "clipped sound" engine.

Now, if you want to reduce the volume of this file, this is what you would have. (-5db reduction of volume)

Here is the way a wave form should look, when there is no clipping. This is the ENG wav from the 190d9 in 1.8 soundpack.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep most of the sounds where there is no compression / clipping, just because of volumes sake.
Plus all and all it will sound better. Most gaming companies / record companies, tv stations don't realize this.
They all want to have the loudest song on the jukebox, and unfortunelaty, that leaves most recordings these days lifeles and compressed. As well are other mediums. No breathing room.

one current example I can think of off the top of my head in recording issues is the difference between say someone like Avril Lavine? (will call her "squirt" for this instance) and then Nora Jones. (not comparing musical styles here, but quality of recording)

Anyway, if you listen to one of "squirts" songs..you notice there are no dynamic changes..Everything is at one level...you can't really discerne stuff, unlees you have a wide stereo feild set up.

But with Nora song, you can hear the everything...even the room that they recorded in. Very minimul compression...a great sounding album.

Anyway, I'm just going by what I hear in my little headphones :)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 02:13:15 AM »
I see where your comin from. but I like things loud:) how bout you make homer screaming "AH BOOGEYMAN" louder and e-mail it to me so I can use that as my check6 call:aok

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 05:52:45 AM »
I like the volume as is it is now. Before, I always reduced volumes of many things, because they were too loud and covered other sounds. :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 08:09:47 PM »
hehe - i think this sound pack is gonna be aimed towards the older, quiter, discening listener.... :)

Starting on 2.0..skipping 1.9 and going for 2..lol. Gotta figure out how to pack in a smaller download and possibly go with the self extracting / installing set-up.

who knows...

Engine sounds  / start-ups / shutdowns as well as flap / gear operations are dominent changes this go round. Trying to make every thing blend in better for each plane.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2004, 02:14:48 AM »
Your sounpacks really add a lot to the game.  Don't let 'em get too quiet.  Loud is good...ever been to an airport before?  LOU[size=8]D[/size]!!!

:)

Offline scott123

• Copper Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2004, 04:49:23 AM »
Love the sounds waffle,WTG.Looking forward to Ver: 00.2:aok

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2004, 06:01:53 AM »
2.0 out - see BBS

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2004, 08:13:18 PM »
could we get another mirror, all the previouse ones are broken now, would like to c what the new 38 sound is like.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2004, 08:22:47 PM »
look for the soundpack version 2.0 post - 1.8 outdated :)

Offline glacey145

• Zinc Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 12:01:28 PM »
Can't hear my gear go up or much else for that matter. Poor sounds.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Waffle's Soundpack 1.8
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 02:13:54 PM »
Haven't heard the word "clipping" since at least 10 years ago when my friends used to mess around with installing car stereo equipment.  They'd run test tones off of a cd through the deck / amp and to a test speaker (I think) as a rough way of adjusting the gains to minimize clipping.   Since I didn't get into it as deep as they did, I only remember that clipping = bad and can = damaged speakers.  

mauser