Author Topic: Masters of the Air - Frame 5 tonight  (Read 595 times)

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
Re: Masters of the Air - Frame 5 tonight
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2024, 01:21:21 PM »
This was an awesome event.  Nice job putting this one together!!!

:rock :rock :rock
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2024, 02:15:11 PM »
Had such a wonderful time. Awesome event! The allied did pretty darn good guarding those B17s. It was wild out there.

Pretty dang good event for me:

Quick clip here to check out, and a few unedited videos are up from last night. Will have more later edited clips once I have time.
Check out this clip! Taylor_M80 streaming Aces High III!  https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyNastyParrotKeyboardCat-tcNnbUsnrUIroLfu

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2024, 02:36:37 PM »
Any video of this event is great advertisement, especially this time of year. Seeing a lot of good stuff.

WTG.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2024, 03:13:34 PM »
I gotta say. A P-51D is great at high alts. Climbing at 29k directly into a horde at speed of 190-200, to all the sudden pulling off maneuvers, can be a little tense. I’m used to going into at 325-525. I had to nose down to get speed up. Surprised I made it to a landing a few times. My usual limit in s P-51D is 26k. Things seem to change there.

Although, I admit, 1st round last night, I didn’t realize at spawn my RPM was set lower for my last landing in the MA. <blank stare> whoops. Glad I fixed that before the high climbing. Ha!

It was fun, but not easy. Hard = adrenaline. Jolt my adrenaline and I want to keep doing it. The scarier the more I like it. Adrenaline junky. :)

I have not heard anything else but praise.

One way I can assume a scenario was done exactly right, is when it actually mimics history in the outcome. This was point on.

I think invoking a movie where everyone can follow history of it is a massive immersion aid. The combo is an outstanding proven formula. It really sucks people in deep. This has the ability to turn things around, and epic events like this will supersede the MA as it should.
“The arena is just for practice for scenarios.”

Congrats to everyone from the creator, the events staff, to the players. It all came together and made it massively successful. We needed this. Everyone was involved. Exactly how the entertainment world happens. Ya did better than the movie.

It can be done again.

Players who haven’t attended events, should. Play the whole game. :)

- The village idiot

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 02:27:43 AM »
One question, ... did the logs close for some reason before we finished our bomb runs?

Yes.

Unfortunately, on that 3rd Mission, I (the allied bomber commander) didn't get the B-17's to target in time to drop before end log.

I was very angry at myself for that, and I apologize.  Here's how it happened.

We launched Mission 3 with about 30 minutes to get to target.  I figured that was enough.

However . . .

On our way to target, I had the bombers do a 90-degree turn to avoid a large enemy concentration.  That was good in that it spread out the enemy attack, making it more manageable.  It was bad in that we were in a rolling fight for a long time while not closing on target.

I was getting more and more concerned about turning back to target.  But it is hard to turn a bomber group while it is under too heavy an attack because folks have trouble manning guns and turning, and it scatters the formation.  I cut it too close and was about 5 minutes too late in turning us back toward target.  We dropped on target 3-5 minutes after end log.

:(

If we had made it before end log, I estimate we had about 12-13 Successful Drops, the allies would have gotten a few more kills, and the axis would have gotten another 5-6 kills.  I think that the axis would still have won, but the score would have been very close (like 163 to 167 or so).

So, my apologies to my fellow allied pilots.  I didn't get us turned back toward target in time.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2024, 07:15:44 AM »
Yes.

Unfortunately, on that 3rd Mission, I (the allied bomber commander) didn't get the B-17's to target in time to drop before end log.

We launched Mission 3 with about 30 minutes to get to target.  I figured that was enough.

However . . .

On our way to target, I had the bombers do a 90-degree turn to avoid a large enemy concentration.  That was good in that it spread out the enemy attack, making it more manageable.  It was bad in that we were in a rolling fight for a long time while not closing on target.

I was getting more and more concerned about turning back to target.  But it is hard to turn a bomber group while it is under too heavy an attack because folks have trouble manning guns and turning, and it scatters the formation.  I cut it too close and was about 5 minutes too late in turning us back toward target.  We dropped on target 3-5 minutes after end log.

If we had made it before end log, I estimate we had about 12-13 Successful Drops, the allies would have gotten a few more kills, and the axis would have gotten another 5-6 kills.  I think that the axis would still have won, but the score would have been very close (like 163 to 167 or so).

So, my apologies to my fellow allied pilots.  I didn't get us turned back toward target in time.

Bhaaa! My friend,
Everything happened like in RL, including that tiny thing I never noticed. That happened in RL too. Don’t you dare feel bad about it.

As Steely Dan said; lets “do it again”.

I hope the vid I’m making even comes close to doing it any justice, without being 15 hrs long.

<S>

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2024, 08:02:18 PM »
Yes.

However . . .

No worries!  It was a great time!  Thank you and <S>
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 04:11:47 AM »
Thanks for flying, TalonX!   It was great flying with you, and I hope that you can join us for the scenario in October.